No announcement yet.

May Mobility reveals prototype of a wheelchair-accessible autonomous vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Mobility reveals prototype of a wheelchair-accessible autonomous vehicle

If wheelchair users are going to use autonomous cars, this needs to happen. -D

May Mobility reveals prototype of a wheelchair-accessible autonomous vehicle

Autonomous transportation startup May Mobility is doing more than just talking about accessibility when it comes to self-driving transportation tech development. The company recently began developing a wheelchair-accessible prototype version of its autonomous shuttle vehicle, and just concluded an initial round of gathering feedback from the community of people in Columbus, Ohio, who would actually be using the shuttle.

May Mobility’s design includes accommodations for entry and exit, as well as for securing the passenger’s wheelchair once it’s on board during the course of the trip. The company learned from the first round of feedback that its design needs improvement in terms of making the ramp longer to facilitate more gradual onboarding and disembarking, as well as optimizing pick-up and drop-off points.

MORE: https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/10/ma...omous-vehicle/

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

That's kind of cool, though as an engineer I'm not sure I'd ever find myself trusting such a conveyance
    !
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Speaking of wheelchairs...has anyone seen this? It's a new "all terrain" design for folks with disabilities. Thoughts?

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/78488...krHeGcn2V6yVkY

Comment

Nice Trike

Looks pretty nice, but worthless for me, as I have such weakness in my left side I need a powered chair or I'd just be able to go in circles

Originally posted by bski864 View Post
        Speaking of wheelchairs...has anyone seen this? It's a new "all terrain" design for folks with disabilities. Thoughts?

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/78488...krHeGcn2V6yVkY
        Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
        Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
        Active in amateur radio
        Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
        M.S. since 2000

Comment

The Advenchair does look really cool being built out of mountain bike parts, but a $10k price tag? And while my friends love me , I’m not sure I could get them to pull me up a mountain. It would be great for someone with an unaffected upper body to get out on trails, but one would definitely need a plan B to get down trail if the axel breaks. As an aside, having mountain biked in telluride many moons ago and found going down the mountain a lot more challenging than going up, how are the breaks and seat and shock absorber supports? Maybe this mobility tool is more appropriately used on flatter terrains, but one can still “4 wheel” it where a wheelchair could never go???

Comment

Working...
          X