WalkAide "friggin awesome!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WalkAide "friggin awesome!"

One of my good friends recently had a chance to test out the WalkAide, a device that straps to your leg to aide foot drop. He was skeptical. How well could a tiny device running on a single AA battery work?

Before the test, they told him to get good and tired, so he walked until his leg was jello. They then set him up with the WalkAide, calibrating it for stride length, etc., and then told my buddy (a veteran MSer with 18 years experience) to go on stroll. No cane. No rollator. The result?

"Friggin awesome, Dave" he said. He could do rounds and rounds of walking without fatigue. Hills became speed bumps. Stairs: no problem.

Is this the Holy Grail? No, but early reviews suggest it works as advertised. More details to come!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I tested the WalkAid 3 weeks ago. It is pretty awsome. The tec was very specific and patient to get it in sync with my walking stride.

Until insurance will help pay though, it's not in the ball park for me.

There is also the Bioness (SP?) that works well also and is more user friendly while doing other things besides straight walking (such as cooking). I'd like to try that also but until it's approved for MS, it would be a waste of time I guess.

Comment

Bioness not for Everyone

I tried the Bioness combined with several months of PT and, for me, it did not help. This doesn't mean it won't help a lot of MSers; it does mean, it has to address specific foot drop issues in order to be successful.
      Last edited by Lynn Hendrix; 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Anyone else test these products? I don't have foot drop, so I'm not a good candidate to test these walking gizmos. More opinions are welcome (indeed, needed!).
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Tested Walkaide

Hello. I am new to this forum. I had an evaluation appointment with Hanger today to test the WalkAide. I am fairly disappointed. The PT was able to get my foot to move when he would first start the STIM, but then the movement would stop. He tried everything he could think of. He changed the electrodes and then battery. But nothing worked. He said he had not worked with the WalkAide very much and suggested I come back when the other PT is back from vacation, since he had worked the WalkAide more. The appointment is for August 2.
          Has anyone one else had this issue?
          I was diagnosed with MS about 20 months ago. I have foot drop and walking any distance by myself has become increasingly difficult.

Comment

I have tried both the Walkaid and Bioness in a clinic setting for brief periods. There was some help but not enough to warrant the price. It also seemed a little fiddly. And required wardrobe considerations. I am trying my own electrical stimulation to help the foot drop and regular talking to my foot to help with the messaging. But,as we keep saying, we're all different and get different results. Too bad you have to wait so long to get another assessment.

Good luck,
            Teena Marie

Comment

Teena Marie,

Thanks for the info an good luck wishes!

We're either one of the units uncomfortable for you during the STIM? I don't know if I could get used to what I felt at times. Then again, the PT mentioned several times that the knob on the intensity level was loose and moved too freely. The guy was nice enough, but I don't think he knows a lot about the device and how to calibrate it.

Take care,

Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

The electric shock feeling was a bit unpleasant but tolerable and I was getting used to it. You're correct in believing you need an experienced technician. I believe both companies have customer service departments and I often find getting to the source helps me find the right help. There was also a rental option-rent to buy-which seemed like a good plan.

Teena Marie

Comment

Walk Aide

I tested the walk aide for three full weeks . No charge, no
                  Credit card deposit , just on the honor system. This was with Hangar. Results: great help but I have lots of tone and for me depending on my good days it worked better but definitely helped with foot drop fatigue. I could last longer.
                  The bioness and walk aide are both great. Difference? You can go barefoot on walk aide since it's only a cuff under the knee while the bioness has an insert in the shoe-no flip flops ladies!
                  Look them up on YouTube . Great patient videos.

Comment

I have not been able to replicate successful trial with the sales Rep (Walk Aid) with the Hanger clinic tech. It bzzz at the right time, but minimal response from my leg. I need to make decision quickly, but frustrating to know it COULD and SHOULD work, but settings are not right. Left message for sales rep yesterday, but no response. Another appt Friday wit h Hanger person that does one or two set ups a month. Frustrating
                    Rosie

Comment

Rosie,

I completely understand. I just finished a three week trial with the WalkAid. The first appointment I had at Hanger, the CO couldn't get the unit to consistently lift my foot. I had to wait another month before I could go back and have a second CO assist. The two of them got the unit to work pretty good. The very next day, I rolled my ankle and ended up with a very bad sprain. (Just my luck!)

I then had issues dealing with the sensation of the STIMs. There were times if felt like an ice pick stabbing a raw nerve. (Another member experienced the same feeling.) After few days, I was bound and determined to "get used" to it no matter what. I found that I did get used to it. Sometimes after setting for a while, the first few STIMs can be somewhat "sharp". Once I take a few steps in a row, the sensation dulls.

I had to return the WalkAid yesterday and truly miss it. I have instructed Hanger to submit a PreCertification to my Insurance Company for the WalkAid. I am hoping they will cover 80%. It's still going to be a chunk of change for me to cover. (My 20% plus my deductible.) I don't have that kind of money just lying around, but I think it's worth cost. Once I get the unit, I plan on working with a PT that has experience working with the WalkAid to regain a more natural gait.

Since using the WalkAid, I have found I don't have pain in my right hip and I don't get muscle cramps in my left calf every night while I am sleeping. (My left leg has foot drop.)

I hope the CO at Hanger can get the unit to work for you! I would love to hear back from you that it helps make walking easier. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Take care,

Susan

Comment

I can chime in on the WalkAid. I had a 3-month trial starting in June. It took a lot of fiddling, but it finally worked well enough to purchase it. Unfortunately, my insurance program will not allow it for MS patients, just people with spinal cord injury (isn't an MS lesion on the spinal cord an "injury"?).

So, I'm out of pocket a large chunk of change, but I don't regret it. While I still can walk, I'm going to make it the best experience. What I've found is that it makes walking easier, even when it's not on my leg. Last week I started out on my morning walk and it took me over a block to realize I'd forgotten to put it on!

I've gotten used to the sensation. Every so often I get a very sharp pulse, but it goes away fast. Most of the time I don't even notice it. The only time it's annoying is when I'm standing still and it fires repeatedly. My leg must move slightly, or it's adjusted wrong. It's time to go back to make sure it's adjusted OK anyway.

All in all, I'm ecstatic about the device.

Susan

Comment

WalkAide

I have had the WalkAide for about 5 months now and I am very disappointed with it! When I first saw the product I was taken by it and wanted my Neurologist to look into it to see if I could possibly have one, and so she did and I was very excited to go to my appointment and pick one up.
                          The machine work for about a week or so and I had to go back to Hanger to let them know something wasn't working right. So a few more adjustments were made and I said to myself "ok it should work now". "WRONG!" It lost it's setting yet again and again and again. I am done with it! It may work for some people but not for me. Money down the drain!

Comment

Walk Aide

I have had a Walk Aide for over two years, totally awesome and has changed my life dramatically thanks to Hanger! The walk aide recently malfunctioned, found it had to be replaced, I can not live without it, so I will be purchasing another one. Just a reminder that the purchase is not forever, they carry a two year warranty, my first one lasted 27 months. Expensive...yes, but a huge improvement in quality of life.

Patty

Comment

walkaide

is this device likely to help ankles from rolling to the side or just foot drop

Comment

Working...
                              X