Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dude, it's about your latitude (even in Latin America)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, it's about your latitude (even in Latin America)

So, the farther south you go in Latin America (indeed, every degree), the higher the prevalence of multiple sclerosis. This study looked at MSers from Panama to Argentina. Interesting. - Dave

Latitudinal prevalence gradient of multiple sclerosis in Latin America.

Risco J, Maldonado H, Luna L, Osada J, Ruiz P, Juarez A, Vizcarra D.

Hypnos Instituto del Sueño, Peru.

Background: Multiple sclerosis (MS) has a unique geographical distribution that
    reflects both genetic and environmental factors. Many studies have shown a
    positive correlation between MS frequency and latitude across both large and
    small geographical regions. However, scarce data have been published on the
    epidemiology of MS in Latin America and no study has evaluated latitudinal
    variation.

Objective: To evaluate the effect of latitude on MS prevalence in
    Latin America.

Methods: We conducted a systematic review of MS prevalence during
    January 2011. Prevalence rates were collected from eligible publications. The
    effect of latitude on prevalence was analyzed using linear regression.

Results: A
    total of ten studies were eligible for analysis, corresponding to six countries,
    spanning from Panama to Argentina. The crude prevalence of MS ranged from 0.75 to
    21.5 per 100,000. We found a strong and significant association between
    prevalence and latitude (r (2) 0.8; p < 0.001) and determined an increase in
    prevalence of 0.33 per 100,000 per degree latitude.

Conclusion: Our findings
    suggest a latitudinal prevalence gradient of MS in Latin American countries
    between Panama and Argentina.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Panama to Argentina??? That's a HUGE area, most of South America! Interesting but I wonder how meaningful. I never really bought into that whole latitude idea but neither do I have an alternate explaination.
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-14-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Very interesting Dave. I wonder where does that leave Panama and northwards then? This disease seems to be spreading worldwide.

Comment

I would love to see a study for the reverse direction! (Actually, I'm sure there is one, but I'm too lazy to find it.) I always felt like if I hadn't moved from New Mexico to Canada, my "MS Potential" may never have kicked-in...hmmm....
        Sarah Cady

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Cady View Post
          I would love to see a study for the reverse direction! (Actually, I'm sure there is one, but I'm too lazy to find it.) I always felt like if I hadn't moved from New Mexico to Canada, my "MS Potential" may never have kicked-in...hmmm....

You took the words right out of my mouth Sarah. I also wonder, quite frequently, if I hadn't've moved from Sunny California to Scotland, if my MS may never have kicked in. And it just so happens that Scotland has the most people with MS compared to England. So is it the water? The Scottish Fayre? The lack of sunshine? I found these very interesting articles I thought I would share.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13092524

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/2325

http://www.aspects.net/~janus/ScottishDisease.htm

And finally, I know this was from last year but I didn't know of this until now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...S-charity.html
          Last edited by Stella; 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I wonder where I fit in weather wise? I left the cold of northern Minnesota when I was 16 and have lived in either South Florida and/or the Balkans Mediterranean climate since then where it is hardly winter. Then pow! Diagnosed with MS at age 36 after a bout of optic neuritis. Go figure.

Comment

That's really interesting John. You moved to a hotter climate and still you got MS. Maybe we will never know what caused our MS. Or maybe perhaps you have Scottish ancestry?

Comment

Working...
              X