ActiveMSers Forums

ActiveMSers Forums (http://forums.activemsers.org/index.php)
-   MS Fitness (http://forums.activemsers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bike MS 2012 (http://forums.activemsers.org/showthread.php?t=775)

AMFADVENTURES 01-01-2012 02:12 PM

Bike MS 2012

There’s so much to catch up on as the new season begins, the medical bike fit, the new bike, this year’s event schedule, and putting together the corresponding training schedule (there’s some really good training stuff available to Bike MS participants out there). But right now Mother Nature is sending out an invitation to drop everything and get out and ride. Temperatures are predicted to approach the 70’s by the end of the week, a rare January event and an irresistible temptation. So for now, Happy New Year everyone, AMF has gone riding.

The ride continues,
Larry

pawpaw 01-03-2012 07:44 PM

Resting and recovering?

I thought you were resting??? It is hard to resist decent weather at this time of year.
We are having way too much wind for me. I can't ride in 30mph gusts.
I am doing an 8 week- 3 day a week- winter spinning class sponsored by the BCC. It sounds pretty intense- lactate threshold determination, etc.

Pell

AMFADVENTURES 01-05-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpaw (Post 2668)
I thought you were resting??? It is hard to resist decent weather at this time of year.
We are having way too much wind for me. I can't ride in 30mph gusts.
I am doing an 8 week- 3 day a week- winter spinning class sponsored by the BCC. It sounds pretty intense- lactate threshold determination, etc.
Pell

I did take 6 weeks off the bike. Did eliptical and weight work a couple of times per week trying to maintain fitness. But now it's a new year, I got a new bike, a new bike fit and the weather has been incredible so obviously, it's time to get started again.

I thought my plan from last year was good but I'm going to include more climbing workouts and try to keep up the weight training and elliptical a little longer this year. I've already registered for a couple of MS 150's and the Triple Bypass and even if I don't get selected for the Triple, I'm going to train for it.

Got 3 hours and 45 miles with 1600 ft of ascent in so far this week. Shooting for 6 hours per week by the end of January, 8 by the end of February. We haven't had much snow yet but if it does come, I'll be on the spin cycle with you and Marina.

Feeling a need to climb something,
Larry

banshee 01-10-2012 04:39 PM

If you guys want a break from all of those mountains, you should come ride with me at the MS150 in Dallas.

Day one is a whopping 889ft gain. Plus you can harass me if I complain about the "hills" on the course.

Jim

Marinadca 01-11-2012 12:17 PM

We signed up for Bike MS 2012...I signed up for the 100 mile route. They've moved it from the hill course of death to a much flatter and more accessible route so I am really hoping.

I sort of can't wait to get back on the bike. We've been spinning 4X a week for a few months and I really hope it has made a difference.

AMFADVENTURES 01-12-2012 04:10 PM

Made it into the Triple Bypass for the 2nd day reverse route which is still 120 miles. The bad news is that the west to east route has 400 extra feet of ascent for a total of about 10,400 ft. The good news is that the wind usually blows west to east so there is a chance we'll get a push. Looks like climbing, climbing and more climbing in store. Oh Boy, I Can’t Wait!

Jim, I'm sure I will get back to Dallas for a MS ride someday. However, there is a little voice in my head that keeps telling me that there will never be a better time to try to do the climbs than the present. So, with any luck, it'll be a while before I opt for the less hilly courses. But if you keep doing the ride, I will undoubtedly get there one day. Meanwhile, you'd always be welcome up here.

Marina, you are soooooo well on your way! I'm thinking we'll all be very pleasantly surprised at how well you do this year. Enjoy the ride Marina, one of these days those “hills of death” won’t be so bad, you’ll see. Let's also make a pact, no more crashes, it's just too hard on the bod.

I noticed a link on the Bike MS web sites under training for "Training Peaks" and actually, signed up for it last year. Joe Friel, one of the foremost endurance trainers in the field, runs that training program. Especially if you're new to Bike MS but even if you're experienced, this is an excellent program. I found it particularly nice to have someone tell me exactly what I should be doing each day, even if it was only via a daily e-mail. There was just something about being told what to do and just blindly doing it that was much easier than trying to figure things out for myself each training day. If you're doing one of these rides, you owe it to yourself to check it out and besides, it's free!

Oh yea, and for my training this week, a little elliptical, a little weight training but mostly, I just shoveled snow:mad:

Larry

pawpaw 01-15-2012 08:28 AM

Triple Bypass

Larry- We may be in Colorado during the Triple bypass. We are considering going to the Keystone area for a week of cycling right after the 4th of July.
My spinning training program starts tomorrow at 7am at one of the local YMCAs. It is good that I signed up for something as I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything except eat.

Pell

banshee 01-15-2012 12:16 PM

Larry,

Glad to hear you got a spot. Sounds like a great ride. Can't wait to hear from you about how the ride goes!

Jim

AMFADVENTURES 01-16-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpaw (Post 2706)
Larry- We may be in Colorado during the Triple bypass. We are considering going to the Keystone area for a week of cycling right after the 4th of July.
My spinning training program starts tomorrow at 7am at one of the local YMCAs. It is good that I signed up for something as I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything except eat.

Pell

Pell, That should be good timing, the Triple is the 15th so from about the 8th on, I’ll taper with a few moderate intensity rides and as much time as possible at altitude. If you like, you guys could join us for the Loveland Pass leg of the Triple, more if you want!
The MS 150 is June 30 - July 1, if you come a few days earlier we could do that together. We’ve got plenty of room at the house and, as an added plus, accommodations come complete with a lap cat!
Eating is good, how did the spin class go?

Jim, ever give any thought to the Triple or Ride the Rockies? I’m thinking about RTR next year, either one should be good Iron Man training.

Got a good ride in yesterday, 32 miles in 2:20 including 1,400 ft. of climbing over rolling hills and just enough wind to keep things challenging.

Larry

AMFADVENTURES 01-20-2012 11:46 AM

1/20/2012

Fabulous week here, the weather's been incredible. Managed 4.5 hours outside and expect to get another 1.5 Saturday. That will make my January goal.

I've been happy with how quickly conditioning has returned after the holidays. Also believe training with heavy weights is helping. Been pushing heavier weights than I have in a decade, stuff I didn't think I'd ever do again. Very surprised at what I've been able to work up to and surprised at how it seems to be helping my cycling.

Hope everyone is doing well.

The ride continues,
Larry