13 Cooling Vests Tested and Reviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Cooling Vests Tested and Reviewed

Thirteen cooling vests. Nine manufacturers. Numerous cooling strategies. A battery of tests. Weighted rankings in thirteen categories. Multiple testers and body types. At the conclusion of an exhaustive month-long review of cooling vests, ActiveMSers uncovers the players and the also-rans, testing the best cooling vests on the market today.

http://www.activemsers.org/gear/reviewcoolingvest.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Pushing Forward posted this question in the Members Only forum and I thought I would report it here for everyone.

Thanks for the thorough reviews Dave! We are taking a trip to Mexico in a few weeks and I am considering a cooling vest so that I can participate in as many activities as possible - despite issues related to fatigue, gait, etc.

Based on your reviews, I think I am going to spring for the First Line vest, but have a couple of questions:
    Is the vest waterproof/water resistant? (We may go on a catamaran)
    Does the black color of the vest make it get hot when in direct sunlight?
    Can the vest can be worn with no shirt under or over it? - you know, to show off the guns

thanks again!
    1) Water resistant? It's like a piece of clothing; you can get it wet, wash it, whatever. The PhaseCore elements should be removed before washing of course.

2) Black? I didn't have a problem, but outdoors I mostly wore it under a light shirt. I'll try testing it without a top layer in the future.

3) It is recommended that you wear a light layer under the vest to prevent chaffing. Seek out Ts or tank tops that weigh under four ounces. I'll have a link ready soon for options!

Have fun in Mexico and glad to see you are going armed (vest and "guns").
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Cooling Vest

Just tried my cooling vest for first time. Put it on at 10:Am and is still working at 1:30Pm. Not bad for Florida. Temp 90 and have been outside for entire time.

Comment

cooling vest

Well its been 5.5 hours and the packs are back to liquid. Still cool though. The vest I am using is the Glacier Tek RPCM. Weather turned cloudy and temp is at 82 now. Thanks Dave for the info on your testing. That is how I came to choose this vest.

Comment

Bug, glad you are enjoying the Glacier Tek vest! It lasts forever. The other day during testing I had three of the four elements in the freezer, and had to remove them to make room for other gear. I just piled them onto the floor and covered them with other vests to make room. A day later, the uncharged element was nearly charged! And then two days later, the three frozen ones were still charged, eventually turning back to liquid by day three. Crazy. One of the main reasons I like phase change--they charge (and hold charge) very well.
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

I have been updating the reviews based on more testing and feedback (this will be ongoing) and all vest write ups have seen minor changes. Also note that the First Line Technology vest is temporarily sold out, but should be available again in a few days. I am also working with MSTshirts to sell a super lightweight tee that would work well with most of these vests.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

May I take the opportunity to thank you for all your hard work.

Teena Marie

Comment

Coupon codes

Hi,
                Based on Dave's review, I bought the Arctic Vest last year-it has been very good and have used it often for walking. Sadly, it is losing it's gel and I am looking to replace it with either another Arctic Vest or one of the phase-cool products.
                I am not sure where the coupons are on the site.
                Can anyone direct me?
                Mahalo,
                Brenda

Comment

Brenda, they are in the Member's Only area of the forum. If you have forgotten the password, look on the back of our T-shirt to jar your memory or just write me.
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

First Line Cooling Vest

Thanks Dave for the coupon codes.

I did purchase the First Line Tech cooling vest and it came super fast. Unfortunately at 5'2, 120#, the vest was too big even when I made adjustments. It rode low on my back and felt bulky which added to walking challenges. The company was great and took the return and gave me a full refund. It seems like an awesome vest but think that smaller stature folks might find it too big.

On to try another one!!

Aloha,
                    Brenda

Comment

Many Thanks

Dave,
                      Thank you for your informative and detailed cooling vest review. I am nine months out from my first clinical episode and MS diagnosis. It has definitely been a challenge adapting to my new normal but I am doing quite well. After several frustrating days of trying to decide which cooling vest to buy I came across your site and review. I ended up purchasing the Glacier Tek vest. I am very happy with the vest. The cooling packs will often stay charged for days and this allows me to wear the vest for several short periods throughout the day rather than for one long stretch. The vest is fairly comfortable albeit bulky as expected. I find it too bulky to wear while I am exercising or stretching but wearing the vest before and after keeps me plenty cool.

Comment

Kewl Fit

Has anyone tried the Kewl Fit vest?

Comment

Working...
                        X