BLOG: Preparing the Comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOG: Preparing the Comeback

When you use walking aids—and are under the age of 70—you are going to get questions. It doesn't matter if you are using a cane, trekking poles, forearms crutches, walker, or pogo stick (not recommended, by the way). People are curious and have an unquenchable desire to eat one's own foot. This is particularly true when using said walking aids in an unfamiliar way, say trekking poles—with rubber tips—away from the trail....

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2015...-comeback.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

One day when shopping at Costco (ironically) a woman approached me and asked (not nicely) what my medical condition is. I asked her what business it was of hers. She said that she wanted to pray for me, I said "don't bother" and walked away.

Comment

Went to an outpatient appt. the other day, accompanied by my wife as instructed and using a cane. Walked up to the receptionist, gave her my medical card upon which she proceeded to make quite a fuss about how good I looked. I thanked her and being as obvious as I could, studied her for a few moments. Then, with my wife by my side and in a lascivious "come on" tone of voice, I declared she looked pretty good herself. A gotcha moment followed, when she recovered we completed the check-in.
      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 01-15-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Comebacks

My first week of work in current job, the computer guy was setting me up and noticed that I was using large fonts for everything, and he commented that if I use large fonts regularly he would set me up with a larger screen. When he was installing that, an coworker starting making comments to those around her "why does she get a larger screen? Why can't I have one too"....she went on for a bit, until I piped up and said that "I'm sure if she goes blind in one eye she could one too".

Karen
        Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

"You look so good..." reply:

Got a great hairdresser. Would you like her card?

Comment

Hi all,

I feel very fortunate. I've not experienced anything like you've all described. Mostly, I get offers of help and pleasant conversations while holding doors. I'm sorry to hear of these comments.

Teena Marie

Comment

Using a cane and on my way into the building for the first of 3 steroid infusions last week.

Security guard: "You look like you're walking good, like you don't even need anything."

Me: Deceptive, isn't it?

Now, to be fair, some people are nice and will be "appropriately" friendly and cheerful. Other people are just awkward to begin with or oozing with disdain and probably should just not say anything. I have to figure out a way to communicate that using a walking aid is helping me and I'm pretty happy about that.

...\O/...
              Liv__Well
              ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Preparing the comeback

I use a wheelchair when I am out in public and also have a KAFO which is a brace that goes up to your thigh. I have had people ask what happened to my leg and I usually come back with I have MS. That stops the conversation.
                I will get looks when parking in the handicap stop until I got a bumper sticker that says. You can have my handicap sticker if you take my MS too. I have had many positive remarks on the bumper sticker. I realized people lie to you and say you look good when your feeling bad and then when you get better they say how good you look and how bad you were looking a while a go. Why don't they just stop those comments. Wish I had a comeback for when they say I look good.

Comment

Working...
                X