MSers Training in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Dave, sounds like a good work out. What kind of a facility are you using? Amazing you are doing weights standing. I'd need to be in some kind of a cage so I'd have something to grab if I tumbled.

As I last mentioned, I'm back in my indoor pool. I hadn't swum in over a month. It felt amazing. In my enthusiasm, I over trained and had to scale back. Now I take days off and pay attention to what else I have to do in my day. I'm finding single leg calf raises are strengthening my feet. Also, modified squats are accessing many muscle groups in my legs. Kicking at the ladder is developing the gluts and core.

As usual, take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• I often exercise at my local gym. When I do standing lifts, often they are one armed, so I can use the free arm for balance. Sometimes free weights, but often on machines (like pulleys). It's harder to do than seated, but it works more muscles and requires more focus.

Great to hear you are back in the pool!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

• Dave, glad to hear you got back in a routine with relative ease although I'm sure the trip itself kept you in decent shape. That's a great idea to try to summarize some of this stuff, I'm looking forward to the article. If we got some good feedback as a result, that would be a wonderful thing too.

I've got the yoga chick lined up to help me with a right side plank core exercise that I just can't quite manage. Already found out the hard way that it's easy to od on side planks but nevertheless was happy to find some new muscle that I could get to work.

I'm going to get a personal trainer to help me with the plyometrics, I don't mind sore muscles but I don't want pulled muscles. The idea behind the plyometrics is to get at whatever is left of my fast twitch muscle fiber, the main target of the plyo's. As msers we generally seem to move kind of like zombies which I interpret as being entirely dependent on our slow twitch muscles. I haven't seen any studies on this, certainly not on PWMS, so it's totally a shot in the dark. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, the effects are or if it works at all.

I'm still getting out on the bike 2 to 3 times a week and I'm loving the reduced schedule. It makes putting an all out effort into the hills almost pleasant. I also find that making sure I get a good recovery period after each of the hill intervals makes the whole session much more tolerable, almost even fun. I'm trying to concentrate on pedal stroke in all of my riding now. It's been a long time coming but lately I think I have been making progress.

Hope you're all well out there,
        Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 11-07-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Larry, sounds like your hard work and attention to detail is paying off. I'd love some examples of the plyo exercises.I'm glad you're getting so much pleasure out of your rides.

I'm looking to work with someone. I'd like to target one thing, such as stair climbing, develop a 12 week program, and evaluate before and after.

In the meantime, I swim daily, paying strict attention to how and when to pick up the pace.

Incidentally, I've had 3 bike riding dreams in the last week. This reinforces hope.

Take care all

Teena Marie

Comment

• Hey TM, here's some of the plyometric exercises I'm going to eventually at least try.

1, Warm up swings - Stand with feet wide apart holding a kettlebell or dumb bell with both hands down in front of you. Keeping your back straight, squat back, bend over at the waist pressing your hips way back and swing the weight between your legs and behind your hips. Stand up pressing your hips forward and swing the weight up in front of you just at chest level. Repeat 10 to 15 times.

2, Jump squat - Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, arms at your side. Sit back into a squat, lowering your hips until your thighs are parallel to the floor (ha, ha). Jump up explosively as you can reaching for the ceiling. Land gently and immediately lower into another squat. Work up to 20 reps.

3, Side hops - Place a rolled up towel on the floor and stand next to it. Bend your knees and jump up and over the towel. As you land, immediately bend at the knees and jump back to the starting position. Work up to 20 reps.
            This is an old skiing exercise, Veronica should be doing these.

4, Pedaling split jump - Stand in a lunge position, right knee forward, left knee back, arms out to the side. Jump up and switch leg positions, left knee forward, right knee back. Softly land in a lunge position and repeat. Work up to 20 reps.

5, Ovation pushup - Essentially a push up done explosively with your feet elevated on a ball or a chair.

6, Blastoff - Stand facing a step, plant the right foot on the step. Forcefully push off with the right foot and jump straight up swinging the arms up and forward for added momentum. Land with the right foot on the step and immediately push off for the next rep. Complete a set then switch legs. Work up to 12 reps.

7, Dead lift - Performed explosively, I wouldn't attempt this one without a trainer.

Obviously most of these are only possible in a modified form with some kind of support available, maybe a hand rail on each side or in a narrow hallway or staircase. But, apparently, if you can do any of them at all in any form, progression with them tends to be fairly rapid. Like I said before, the whole idea is to try to develop fast twitch muscle response. We'll see.

Looks like the bike riding is over for a while, I'll be riding in my dreams too, maybe we can meet up.

Larry
            Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for these, Larry. I'm not set up to do these on my own or even supervised for that matter. I'm just trying to integrate semi-explosive moves into my day-to-day. Also, in the pool.

Teena Marie

Comment

• Hi gang!
                It is so comforting to read about you all taking a break from the more intense training at the same time that I do! So I guess it's ok, huh? And I see we are all gearing up for starting in again with our routines for the winter months.... Also, something I needed to read...

Dave: I give you, and anyone who uses a gym or club to exercise so much credit...I have never been good at going to one on a sustained basis. And as a result have dumbbells all over my living room floor! Well, not exactly all over, but prominent in the decor.....

Teena Marie: Glad to hear you are back with your swimming in your marvelous pool. As you can gather from my comment to Dave, I love home based exercising! Just cuts down on all the ridiculous factors ( or excuses...) that can get in the way....

Larry: Boy, those pylometric exercises sound totally intimidating to me! But, you go for it! I only WISH I could jump over a towel side ways!! Now concerning side planks, I am right there with you.... my PT got me on a regime of planks, front and side, and I am totally addicted to them....I have modification on top of modification in order to be able to do them, but am pushing through these as I also see the necessity of having a stronger core. I see the improvement in "little" things, like turning in bed, and turning in a chair to, for example, pick up an item on a table next to me. I never realized how I was hooking my good foot around the chair leg to keep my balance instead of relying on my core.... I'm now aware of this, and am keeping from doing this..... making my core do the work instead...Actually gives me some extra incidental training....

I am still transitioning into Inside Cycling training. Just today got the accessory I need to make my trike's 16 " rear wheel able to be fitted to my trainer. Hopefully within the week I will install this, and get the trike in the house/on the trainer.

I can't fully express how grateful I am to have all of you to bounce around ideas and report progress....What I need to get thru life with MS? My meds, my exercises, and my "peeps"!!!
                Thanks guys!
                Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Hi all,

My training routine is centered around the pool as well as a few strengthening exercises. I swim 5-6 times per week and 1-2 exercises 2-3 times per week. I'm trying to build up my left hip-core-shoulder area to balance out the right. I agree with you Veronica. We compensate in so many ways when our core is not supporting us adequately.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Hi my buddies! In line with all our talk about core work, I have a funny story. While at the Ski Spec, ( ok, are you all sick and tired of hearing me go on about this? ) I took a sled hockey "clinic" that Disabled Sports USA offered there. Really wasn't much of "clinic" as four of us got there later than the rest and missed all the instructions....which may have helped me a bit, but probably not! I got geared up, elbow pads, helmet with cage thing for the face, gloves and the sticks, and they just pushed us one at a time out on to the ice when the crew was battling for the puck at the other end. I had no idea how to make this thing move, or turn....got it moving, and headed for the boards...ran into them since I couldn't turn or stop, and.....tipped on my side. And then realized that I didn't have what it takes in muscle coordination to right myself! I mean I plopped to my side completed rigid and just was laying there head on the ice laughing like a fool! So who came to my rescue? A young woman who uses a wheelchair ( no, not on the ice...) came over to help so I figured she probably get me up as she had the upper body strength that I did not...well, she worked to get me up and almost did so, until I just took her down with me...now BOTH of us are howling with laughter....the ref had to come over to right us both...he was laughing too...... this happened about three more times, and once two guys tried, one at my feet, and he must have heaved ho too exuberantly, and he sent me on to my back, on the sled, which meant my feet were straight up.....His comment? " Well, that didn't go as planned..." And the ref, laughing again, had to come over and get me back on my blades. I spent the rest of the time on the ice avoiding the puck...... So, all this to say, if you want to play sled hockey you need a good strong core.... But seriously, it did open my eyes to how I need to very seriously crank up my side planks as this is a very weak area for me....

Comment

• Hi my buddies! In line with all our talk about core work, I have a funny story. While at the Ski Spec, ( ok, are you all sick and tired of hearing me go on about this? ) I took a sled hockey "clinic" that Disabled Sports USA offered there. Really wasn't much of "clinic" as four of us got there later than the rest and missed all the instructions....which may have helped me a bit, but probably not! I got geared up, elbow pads, helmet with cage thing for the face, gloves and the sticks, and they just pushed us one at a time out on to the ice when the crew was battling for the puck at the other end. I had no idea how to make this thing move, or turn....got it moving, and headed for the boards...ran into them since I couldn't turn or stop, and.....tipped on my side. And then realized that I didn't have what it takes in muscle coordination to right myself! I mean I plopped to my side completed rigid and just was laying there head on the ice laughing like a fool! So who came to my rescue? A young woman who uses a wheelchair ( no, not on the ice...) came over to help so I figured she probably could get me up as she had the upper body strength that I did not...well, she worked to get me up and almost did so, until I just took her down with me...now BOTH of us are howling with laughter....the ref had to come over to right us both...he was laughing too...... this happened about three more times, and once two guys tried, one at my feet, and he must have heaved ho too exuberantly, and he sent me on to my back, on the sled, which meant my feet were straight up.....His comment? " Well, that didn't go as planned..." And the ref, laughing again, had to come over and get me back on my blades. I spent the rest of the time on the ice avoiding the puck....had a lot of fun...cautiously.. So, if you want to play sled hockey you better have a good strong core....

Comment

• Thanks for the inspiration!

Greetings Fellow MSers,
                        I've only been lurking for a few days but have read all the posts. I am impressed with what everyone is doing to stay in shape and beat this nasty disease. I was diagnosed in 1979. I was in and out of the hospital frequently for the first 2 years. My doctor told my wife to find a nursing home placement for me because i was progressing rapidly. Went into a longterm remission and up until about 3 years ago I was doing really well. Now i am having problems walking. For fitness I use 2 walking sticks, actually they are Exerstrider Nordic walking poles. I absolutely love them. For shorter trips i use one pole and that works. I am an avid cyclist but my numbers are not like some of yours. I have a road bike but transitioned to a trike last summer. The comfort of the trike is amazing as is the safety. Like others have mentioned, cars give me more space then they ever have when I've been on my 2 wheeler. I am slow on the trike. Like someone else mentioned, i ride in the big ring most of the time since it is hard to spin with spastic legs. The bike shop added a bigger ring on the front which helped some but still not enough for my competitive spirit. I tell my buddies that I am thankful I can still ride despite my M.S. But that doesn't mean i like to ride slow! I ordered a Bike Friday that should be arriving any day now. I feel with the road bike, Bike Friday and trike have my riding needs/desires pretty well covered.
                        I live in the frozen tundra and like to snowshoe and X-C ski but so far we have very limited snow . I recently joined the local YMCA. I go to 2 spin classes and 2 Pilates classes. My daughter sent me an article about Pilates for people with M.S. So I decided to give it a try. I am 60 and I am twice as old as anyone in the class and likely 3 times older than a few. It's only been two classes but I am working core muscles I didn't know i had!

Back to the trike. My right knee bends in to the point my leg brushes against the chain. When i got done with the 300 mile M.S. TRAM last summer i had some nasty looking raspberries on my leg. I bought a leg sleeve to wear and that helps but I would be interested in learning more about the "butt bra" or whatever you are calling it. I purchased the trike because i was struggling to get on & off my road bike, it wasn't a balance issue for me. I am really hoping my Pilates sessions will improve my flexibility and make that task easier.

When I was diagnosed, my dad came into my room and said " nothing is so bad it doesn't do some good". How true he was. I have met some absolutely wonderful people throughout my journey, i really enjoy my riding, skiing and snowshoeing buddies. They give me a hard time and I give it right back. We do our thing and maybe stop for a beer. We all do the M.S. Rides together. It has turned into a fun social group for my wife and me.

Let's all keep moving to the best of our abilities because I am quite certain exercise is one of the keys to beating this disease.

Happy Holidays to You & Yours!

Sent from my iPad

Comment

• Welcome, Grady. Your exercise routine is impressive.
                          More later. I'm in a rush at the moment but wanted to say hello.

Teena Marie

Comment

• Grady, welcome. The TRAM ride looks like quite a feat, congratulations, and on a trike? You are absolutely right, exercise is key, if not to beating MS, certainly to living with it. Glad you joined us.

TM, your commitment and perseverance is always inspiring. Hope the winter doesn't last too long up there. More on core later.

I spent a very pleasant evening with Veronica in Breckenridge over a beer while she was here. We are probably kindred spirits of the adventurous kind, definably not just because of the MS. Afraid I haven't gotten that tail light fixed yet though V.

And speaking of core, the plyometrics have been postponed in favor of more core. As I tried to pick up my exercise routines, it became woefully apparent that core was the big problem. It's a slow go as some of those newly reactivated core muscles probably haven't seen much use in quite a while but it seems to be what's needed. Also, except for a brief cold spell, the weather has been exceptionally nice so I had to get the bike back out, clean it up, fix it's flat tires and hit the trails again. If the weather holds out I could see a total of 4,000 miles this year. On those days which are not suitable for a fair weather rider like myself, I try to walk.

It's a little harder during the holidays but we're still moving here,

Happy Hollidays

Comment

• And Welcome Grady from me, too! I'd love to know what brand/model your trike is that allowed you to do such an ambitious ride as the TRAM....

I am hoping to be able to share some info on a solution to so many of us who have the knee knocking issue. I met someone recently who has a spinal cord injury and has gone on to great things in the adaptive sports world. He is working with a designer on custom seating for hand cycles, kayaks, wheelchairs, sit skis, and I asked him about something for our issue on trikes. Once we have our conversation, I will share with all.

Yes, Mr. AMF Adventures and I had a very enjoyable time sharing stories. I think we are twins separated at birth.... but really Larry, cops pulling us over TWICE didn't get you to get the light fixed?? Or are you getting to know your local law enforcers??

Teena Marie: you asked about calf stretches, and I sent you info via private message...did you get it??

I have been pretty lax in all my exercises these past three weeks with the exception of stretches and balance stuff. Just saw Herb today, so he has tweaked out some of my core exercises and has given me some mods for the planks. I'm making progress, and see that when I get myself back into a more consistent routine again, ( that means NOW...) I will be able to get the nerve muscle connection going on the side planks that at times still leave me not even knowing how to engage the muscles.

I also hope you all have good holidays!

Comment

• Trike

I have a Catrike Expedition. I purchased an extender from Utah Trikes that allows me to put a 700cc back wheel on it which improved the speed a couple mph. I also added assist bars to it that really help to get out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X