Best forearm crutches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best forearm crutches?

Okay, these are super trick titanium forearm crutches and priced like it. Holy smokes, $1K! I hope insurance will cover them, because I so want a pair. I think they'll be better than a $50 pair from Walgreens.

http://fetterman-crutches.com/index.php

The ones I have are 20-year-old beaters my sister found in the basement, but they work so much better than my cane and are less fatiguing than my walker.

In looking up these crutches, I found this guy who recommends them. He's like me, except for amputees. And he may be a bit wittier and a bit more handsome and a bit faster. Waaay faster. It's cool how well he can move with one leg. He can sprint as you can see in the video. Way better than I can move with two legs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6DgF...ature=sh_e_top
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Wow, he is way more sure of himself with the forearm crutches than I am! And what is it with guys pretending that they are guns?! The testimonial clip of President Clinton reminded me so much of my SO and what he does with my crutches lol. I'll stick with the $75 ones that are a step up from the Walgreens ones, pretty sure insurance would balk at the price tag on those!

Comment

If you can believe it there is an even better crutch out there... we are currently working on getting Josh a set and thought you might be interested too!

You should check out this new user video we just posted, it might blow your mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5PZhS-GB6fA

Also check us out at http://www.sidestix.com to learn more.
      Last edited by SideStix; 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Okay, the video is pretty cool, especially the last quarter. I don't think I'll try those stunts anytime soon! Let's get in touch when you have time. PM me or shoot me an e-mail (or call). I've been planning to do a piece on forearm crutches for some time now as they really have given me freedom. Happy holidays!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

It looks as if my next gear review will be on forearm crutches. I talked to Sarah, the founder of SideStix, for more than a half hour about her sticks and what sets them apart. (We also chatted about why we do what we do as members of the disabled community. She lost her leg to a drunk driver when she was riding her bike and has an attitude just like many of us at ActiveMSers. Keep moving!) She's sending me a pair of crutches to test, and I've got some cool ideas to put them through the ringer. I'll also compare and contrast them with my stock crutches and other walking aids. Details to come!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

SideStix has sent me a pair of forearm crutches (also called Canadian or Lofstrand crutches) for me to test and review. I'm excited. I've just put them together and will start to put them through the paces this weekend when I go out skiing. This will be part of a thorough review of forearm crutches, including how to fit them, what to look for when purchasing, what to avoid, and why they work so well as a walking tool.

Initial impressions of the SideStix--I'm impressed. Holy cow, the carbon fiber main tube is as light as a feather. And the grips are fantastic. Are these the best Canadian crutches on the market? We'll see. I've been excited before only to relegate gear to rarely used oversized six-pack beer koozies.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Testing of the SideStix has been coming along well. I thought about making a video of the new slick moves I can do with these crutches... until I saw this clip. It's insane what people can do with two sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OasVtpPcjWg
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Whoa, Nico, the soccer player featured in the SideStix video, was on CBS Evening News last night! He can rock those SideStix (padded for when he plays soccer). The guy is a total inspiration. Man, can he play. And the goal he scores is off the hook.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...flexGridModule
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Thomas Fetterman, Inc. crutches

First, thank you, Dave, for your insights on the forearm crutches. I'd never considered these before and, after I read your comments on them, I ordered some. I looked at the SideStix, I researched, and I ended up going to the Thomas Fetterman, Inc. site. They send me some adjustable forearm crutches to try.
                  My intent was to splurge and get the custom crutches...but thank goodness they sent me the temps to try! I found that whereas in the house, in my slippers, I needed one height...but in my Uggs, I needed a different height. I NEEDED adjustable crutches. And that's what I ended up getting. They are great. I no longer have to hang on to someone when I go somewhere. I no longer have to touch every wall and surface as I try to walk. They are well made and use the same tips as the SideStix (Fetterman tips).
                  Thank you again for all your advice and words.
                  (By the way, I added an entry for the Vibram Five Fingers shoes, which have also aided me enormously.) Of course, I'm also broke now. But hey, that was a price I was willing to pay.
                  Last edited by sue w.; 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Fetterman makes some nice crutches, Sue. Which style of crutches did you end up getting? My Stix are pretty easy to adjust and I like swapping out the tips for snow/sand/hiking, but they do require an Allen wrench to change their height, so if you are doing that often (like every time you put on or take off shoes) I can see that it might be a hassle.
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

I'm actually testing an innovative new foldable forearm crutch that is durable, superfast to deploy, and needs no tools or adjustment. Hope to provide more details soon....
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Here is the just launched site of Jointed Crutch. I'm currently testing a version created from a pair of SideStix. So far so great. More to come!

http://jointedcrutch.com/
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

One option that looks promising, but...

I have been looking into the Smartcrutch, and at first glance it looks like a gift from heaven for me, a 60 year old woman with MS who also suffers from severe damage to the joints in the hands. I am on track to end up being a lifetime crutch user, with MS causing progressively more spasticity in my legs, as well as progressive loss of balance, and in addition to that my left knee has progressed to the point where it may need to be replaced, but I don't recover well from surgeries, so I'm dubious about that... My situation is complicated by the fact that I have CMC joint arthritis in my right hand, and had a botched surgery for the same condition in my left, leaving me with progressive growth of bone spurs in the wrist and chronic pain in the reconstructed CMC joint itself. I am concerned about the longevity of the product, though, and when I contacted the manufacturer, they were evasive about that, and said that any guarantee would have to come from a retail distributor. When you click on Guarantee on their website, it says "See terms and conditions of local Distributor". Furthermore, medical testimonials seem to consist of only partial sentences from medical professionals, and some links to reviews end up as 404s, so that makes me think that users are finding some problems on extended use. That would be a serious drawback for me, since Medicare says that they're not sure if they'll cover them or not (when I contacted the manufacturer, I was given a "Medicare code" for them, but Medicare said that code was not on their list), and I would have to buy them first, then find out if they'd be covered. Since I'm a "lifetime user", and I'm on disability, I couldn't afford to replace them every year or two out of pocket. I'd be hard put to it to even be able to afford them out of pocket in the first place! I don't want to end up in a wheelchair, but that could happen if a more reliable manufacturer doesn't come up with a similar design!

Comment

Here's some more feedback on the SideStix I got recently from a member. Helpful feedback, especially for those on the fence. -D

I love my Stix!!! I have used them for 2 days. Have not tried a long walk yet but just standing straight and walking upright is such a revelation. You were absolutely right about the difference they make. I can breathe more fully since I am being held upright. And I feel so great about how they look! I was reluctant to get forearm crutches for the "cripple" stigma. But now I want to say" Look at me, everybody!" Yay! Proudly wore them to the gym today.

And the stability is light years difference. Wow! All the old people I live with should have Stix. They will want mine. A stranger yelled across the Whole Foods parking lot--"you look great, I want those. what are they" nobody ever yelled that about my poles.

thank you, thank you, thank you.
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

Just an FYI for those looking at crutches but the carbon fiber versions are a bit too pricey. Consider the SideStix Explorer at $330. They are the same weight as the version with the shock, but are less than half the cost.

https://www.sidestix.com/products/explorer
                              Dave Bexfield
                              ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                              X