Generic ampyra...any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic ampyra...any thoughts?

CVS specialty pharmacy called to say my copayfor Ampyra was going from $30 to $65 a month. Accorda already kicks in some which has kept it at $35. Took hours to find out that my insurance company was the culprit because there is now a generic and the copay will be $10 each month. So I switched.

Does anyone have experience with the generic or knowledge of reports about possible differences in the effects of taking one rather than the other?

I was hoping someone had found information about the manufacture of each...whether they are in fact duplicates of each other.
    Last edited by MSLazarus; 10-28-2018, 07:51 AM.

Is that new generic Dalfampridine from Mylan that just got approved? I am taking now aminopyridine and it work just like Ampyra. Next refill I will ask for that new one. Good luck.

Comment

Yes. Mylan is producing it.

I have been taking it for 3 weeks. I am probably in a flare up of my MS. But my legs are weak and I have jumped to the only idea that popped into my mind. It is just that, for example, I found success with a generic drug for bladder control but the more expensive form of the same drug did not work for me. So, I was wondering about the difference between the 2 forms of ampyra.

Comment

I'm in agreement that we need lower drug costs, especially for MS, and generics are one way to do it. But I think there is a lot of pressure on the government to make generics available and I'm not entirely loving the way the genric drugs get stamp of approval and are produced in 3rd world countries with less regulatory controls....

Generic ampryra was approved by FDA and bioequivent. But whenever there is a time release component to a generic drug, it gives me pause.

Welbrutin generic: it wasn't bioequivenet due to the way the time release component worked. It was noticed before marketed but it was after approval by FDA and in post marketing that drs relized ti was not depression relapse but a non-effective generic. Link to article about welbrutin genric http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline...se_fault_is_it

Some generic valsartain not bioequivlent. The manufacturing process in China was not properly supervised and dangerous chemicals were included, causing the FDA to issue a recall.
        Link to valsartain china article https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...s-drug-n900716

Comment

That's interesting!

Comment

Thanks Suebee

My doc switched me from Valsartan to the recommended substitute. I am also on the generic ampyra.
            Both have me concerned.😕

Comment

fda data base search

Here is link to FDA warning letters to search:

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceCo...594437.htm#OMQ

Unfortunately, even if you find the manufacturer of your med, it isn't usually clear which med they didn't manufacture correctly. It is clear that there is no massive recall in these instances, however. Also, if Indian manufacturer contracts out to small start up Indian co for active ingredient, the start up co may get warning letter, not the manufacturer who sold you the drug.

No idea how the freedom of Information act allows this opaqueness. If anyone does, please share your insights.

One of my generic meds is manufactured by a Indian co and i found a warning letter that the level of active increment was below 90% the level expected. Not reassuring to me.

Cynically, got to point out, the gov't and scientists who benefit from sales of generics are not going out any sub par generics. There will be goofs out there that can't be ignored like heart patients dying after getting sub par generics. But things like MS flares or depression relapses are harder to correlate to sub par generics because flares and relapses happen.

Communicate with doctor about any issues. Ask pharmacy if they have another generic manufacturer. Check if other pharmacies carry another brand of generic.

Fight MS. I hate it.

Comment

Working...
              X