REVIEW: Top End XLT Handcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: Top End XLT Handcycle

I just purchased a new (to me) handcycle off of Craigslist. You can find them if you are patient. List the bike is $2,500, I got mine for $1K and it looks new (still had the plastic seals on the chrome parts). Initial impressions: love it. Our new community is great to ride in, and we can reach the bike trail in under 15 minutes on quiet roads. The bike is a bit hard to turn with an onerous turning radius, but it goes well in a straight line. That said, even when I go all out, my wife can still dust me on her foot-powered trike (my old one). Entry and egress is not as hard as with my old trike, partly because after riding my legs are still fresh instead of obliterated. Are there better trikes on the market? Absolutely, and they can range easily into the $6K range and above. But for my purposes and my neighborhood, and for the price, this one suits me perfectly.

Pluses
    Lightweight
    Affordable
    Uncomplicated (shifter and brake not attached to crank)

Minuses
    Turning radius
    Lack of low gearing (a $500 "mountain drive" upgrade is available, but not needed where I ride)
    Hard to transport

-------------------

Features
    Lightweight 6061T6 oval tube aluminum frame.
    Capable of speeds up to 20 mph.
    Adjustable fore and aft seat position.
    Multi-position, adjustable footrest system.
    Adjustable tension upholstery.
    Vertical ergonomic handles.
    Easy-to-reach indexed shifter.
    Quick-release axles.
    Includes chain guard and chest restraint

Key Specs
    Quick-Release Axles: Yes
    Weight Capacity: 250 Lbs.
    Weight: 35 Lbs.

Turning Radius - 18 feet for 360° circle, 12 feet w/one backing maneuver.

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

That is one sweet looking machine, Dave! I am really happy for you that you finally found the right wheels... It's gotta be a super feeling to be able to roll more comfortably...and just have fun... hurray!! I love it that Laura is now a Low Rider!
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Cool trike for sure Dave. Does being a two trike owner mean you can ride either way, leg powered or hand powered? There might be a certain sense in that. Are the gears inside the front hub?

Comment

Thanks Veronica! Larry, when I want to limber up the legs, I'll go for my leg-powered trike (easily adjustable so I can switch off with Laura no problem). But for distance, the arm trike for sure.

The gearing is in the front hub. There are only 7 gears, so any serious hill is a challenge or plain not going to happen. In my area that is not an issue, but I did get to one spot at the end of a trail with a steep hill. Made it halfway up and that was it. The gearing just isn't low enough.

Braking is just spinning the hand crank in reverse. I also have a parking brake that can lock on, which is nice. Again, nothing fancy, but a good touring trike for the flats.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

So happy that you found what works for you. Anything to get out there and feel wind in your face again!

Comment

Marina, it sure is fun to get out again and just romp. Glad I just went out and purchased it instead of debating the purchase for a year. There's still lots of fall left!
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Turns out the Pro series, $1K more expensive, has a full 27 gears. If you add the Mountain Drive to the standard XLT for $500, you can tackle bigger hills. But to shift into it and out of it you have to be fully stopped. Not ideal, but at least it gives riders the ability to tackle steeper slopes, which is not feasible with my trike as is.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                Marina, it sure is fun to get out again and just romp. Glad I just went out and purchased it instead of debating the purchase for a year. There's still lots of fall left!
                I debated getting my trike for about a year and a half, holding out hope I could still ride the 2 wheeler I has just purchased (a beautiful carbon fiber Ruby Specialized that I don't have the heart to get rid of yet). Now that I have had my trike since June of last year I wish I had done it sooner and not waited so long.

Good for you for not wasting time and just going for it! In the end we can replace money but never time.

Comment

Another thing I just discovered after riding on ice a couple days ago. You won't come crashing down when you hit a patch! That is a definite trike advantage. Plus you can stop and take pictures easier.
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Looks great. Are there any foot powered trikes that are suitable for light off road ie: ditch banks?

Comment

I'm sure there are, FP, especially if you have the right tires to prevent goatheads (a common nemesis here in NM as you know). I flatted all 3 when I ventured off-road early on, but now that I have Continental Gator Skins and tubes filled with slime, I can confidently go anywhere....
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Must clarify the "go anywhere." The trail still must be wide enough! Also, I won't get where I'm going too fast.

I've found the max speed on a straightaway when I'm cranking, at least according to those speed limit signs on the side of the road, is 16 mph. I might be able to squeak out one or two more, but that is max effort and spikes my HR quickly. Downhill I can crest 20, but I average probably closer to 9 or 10 mph on the flats. Uphill? 1-4 mph!
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

A couple of questions for fellow trike riders. Has anyone added an electric assist to this bike? And are there any special transfer tricks for wheelchair users? I'm think of adding an assist so can go for longer rides....
                          Dave Bexfield
                          ActiveMSers

Comment

Dave, you know how happy I am that you are gonna do this.....My answer to your first question..... I added a Falco 500w to my Catrike 700. Expensive, yes, but so worth it.
                            I worked with Utah Trikes ( remotely since I am on the East Coast) and we decided that was the best for my needs. Had them ship it to my bike shop and they installed it. Easy installation as they basically swap out the back wheel with the Falco electric wheel, attach the battery and monitor. And I have had no problems with the system.
                            SO happy you are gonna do this.... as Dr. Seuss has said ( out of context, but what the heck...)
                            “Oh, the places you’ll go”....
                            Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

I am really excited about the e-assist possibility. But even cooler: an attachment that will allow me to attach my wheelchair to the bike. That way I can bike to restaurants and brewpubs and BATHROOMS. That last fact limits me for long rides. But toting a wheelchair without electric assistance would be really challenging, and likely impossible on long hills.
                              Dave Bexfield
                              ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                              X