No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teena Marie! Photos tell a very positive story of progress for sure. Wow, a very big difference in your stance...... Now, WHAT is at the end of your forearm crutches? Looks like mops....
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Veronica, you're not the first person to say my attachments look like mops! They are, in fact, snowshoes. Attachments specially made for snow conditions. By Sidestix. Dave has a great review. I also have sandshoes for the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by teena marie View Post
        Veronica, you're not the first person to say my attachments look like mops! They are, in fact, snowshoes. Attachments specially made for snow conditions. By Sidestix. Dave has a great review. I also have sandshoes for the beach.
        That is pretty cool!

You look great

Comment

Great news TM, there is no doubt the work we all do helps us cope with the MS in a number of different ways but the photographic evidence is especially cool.

I've been up to the same old things here. Yoga, ellipticals, cycling and weights. I can also quantify my weight training progress, I'm pushing about 5% more weight this year than last. I hope it eventually shows up in my cycling.

I'm off to spend a couple of weeks with an old friend. While I'm there I will put together a schedule designed to get me up Pikes Peak. A prominent neurologist in this area, and a huge believer in exercise for MS, tells his patients to pick a physical goal, one they know they can't do, and go for it. That would be Pikes Peak alright! I'm sure there will be some good adventures along the way so you guys don't get sick of hearing about it. It should all start when I get back.

Got 70 miles on the bike last week, the deer and the coyotes were out but I couldn't get to my camera quick enough, a shame because it was a trophy size deer, would have been nice to have a shot of it.

Later,
          Larry

Comment

Larry, can't wait to hear about Pikes Peak. I've been riding pretty hard lately, and am thinking about getting a bike computer so I can track my mileage. Right now I measure by time and heart rate; I'm usually in the cardio zone for an hour or two every ride, so it's very effective at raising my heart rate. I'm guessing I'm logging about 10 to 12 miles, not bad for a hand bike. Yesterday: 2 hrs, 1:15 in the cardio zone, 1,100 calories burned.

How is everyone else doing? Right now it is like 20 degrees above seasonal averages: 73 degrees! (one off all-time record in Albuquerque) Wearing my cooling vest outside in mid February felt very, very strange, when there is often snow on the ground.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

I continue to lurk and be inspired by what everyone is doing to beat this disease. I'm very encouraged by the research showing how important it is for us to stay active. When I was diagnosed 37 years ago I was told I needed to lead a sedentary lifestyle. That has never been my style and I'm glad I didn't follow that advice.

Dave, I really enjoy reading your triking stories. I participated in the M.S. TRAM last summer in northern Minnesota. First day was 82 miles, I did that without too much difficulty. Day 2 was a hilly 42 miles, no problem. Day 3 was 86 miles, 96 degrees, humid and not so much as a breeze. I quit at 45 miles because I no longer felt safe on my bike. I rode my Bike Friday for the TRAM and when I was done, I wished I would have taken my trike. Not finishing the 5-day ride was very hard
              on me. It was my 15th TRAM and I had never quit nor needed to sag before. A couple weeks later I did the N.D. M.S. Ride. Temps were the same as was the humidity but this time we had a 35 mph head wind. Ended up with 85 miles but finished it. I did that ride on my BF too.

Started going to the gym in September. I convinced myself that I no longer needed to try to keep up with the big boys but rather go at my own pace. I was very frustrated at first but it is all paying off now. 30 mins of strength training, 30 mins cardio and once a week I do 15 minutes of intervals on the elliptical. I walk much better when I work out. I also sleep much better.

Last summer I put the most miles on my BF, 2nd most on my road bike and the least on my trike. But I started riding the trike more in the fall and I really like the comfort. I think I will do this year's TRAM on the trike.

I continue to walk using my walking sticks. I use one when at work or for shorter trips. I use 2 for anything over couple hundred yards. I recall that someone had noted in a post that they felt uncoordinated using 2 sticks. Do a google search of Nordic walking for some tips on how to walk with 2. Nordic walking is also excellent exercise.

Not much snow in our area this year so I haven't been on my xc skis nor have I done any snowshoeing. But if the lack of snow gets be out biking/triking earlier I will be very happy!

Keep on keepin' on everyone and keep the inspiring stories coming!

Comment

Well Grady!
                Glad you have stopped lurking and posted again...Wow, very impressive riding. I hear you about feeling bummed about not finishing, I actually think that is a very healthy thing to do rather than give in for falling short of a goal, if you know what I mean....

Also appreciate your comment about not competing with others...something I still sometimes fall into doing, where I compare myself with people who aren't dealing with what I am, and get feeling like a slouch, when in truth, I am working my butt off.
                Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Is it ever too late to say Happy New Year!

Hello people,

Happy New Year!! (if it's not too late....?)

I lurk too, and stalk on FB, too.

I love reading about all the cycling. I still don't have the confidence to do it properly anymore, so put in some miles from me, please?!

This time last year I was diagnosed thanks to my optic neuritis - I was training for my first half marathon at the time. I ran it, but was under strict instructions 'not to push myself'.

This year, I have about 80% vision back in my eye on a good day, and I am 8 weeks away from running the London Marathon in aid of the MS Trust. W00t!

On Sunday, I ran the same half marathon as last year, and knocked a minute a mile off my 2015 time. A sub 2 hour PB! Really pleased!

I am however, experiencing foot drop (or 'drop foot' as you lot call it ) on the left side. It only comes on when running, and only after a few miles, presumably when electrolyte levels are going a bit screwy. So this is my next project over the next few weeks - find a solution, so that I actually make it round the 26.2 miles of the streets of London without eating asphalt.

Carry on with your awesomeness!

Comment

Hi Mouse,

Nice to have an update about your amazing year and upcoming marathon. What a warrior!

There have been several posts about good AFO's for runners previously. If you get a chance, scroll through past posts.

Beaming you vibes for the big day.

Teena Marie

Comment

Love all the updates

Grady - lurking is just fine but jump on in - we mostly do not bit. You are doing some pretty cool riding and I would love to hear more about it. I am on my trike full time so I love reading about all the two wheeled adventures. I love that you are using both.

Mouse - Wow that sounds like quite alot that you have accomplished and I hope you have so much fun and success in London. I am super impressed that you are running! I can do a fast walk for an hour, then I am DONE so living vicariously through you is nice

As for me...I am up to the same old. Its still cold here so I am still inside doing indoor trainer workouts/sufferfest videos. I do that 3-4 times a week and walk for an hour each 2 times a week. I don't do any yoga or strength training and I really need to add these things to my routine I think.

Comment

Great to see how everyone's working it!

Mouse, good luck with your training for London, love to hear how you progress. Have you ever looked at the Dorsey strap?

Grady, nice routines. I also have noticed that I feel better when I maintain a reasonably well rounded exercise regimen, weights, cardio, stretching, always at my own pace.

Just back from a couple of weeks on the beach in Florida - with new respect and admiration for Teena Marie and her beach crawling endeavors. Walking the beaches was my main form of exercise there, that and eating (eating as exercise? Sadly yes). I seem to have put on a few pounds in that short two weeks so I really have to get back on the bike, ASAP.

Here's the plan:
                        March - get in 400 or so base miles. These will be long slow miles at a relatively low heart rate. Riding 3 to 4 times per week.
                        April - start getting a few intervals and some moderate hills in, also keep a few long slow rides going. Riding 4 times per week.
                        May - Steep short hills and long moderate hills separated with long slow miles. Start getting high (altitude). Riding 4 to 5 times per week.
                        June - More hills, get higher, might try to fit Mt. Evans in here. Keep up the slow recovery rides. Riding 4 to 5 times per week.
                        Early July - First shot at Pikes Peak. I should be able to get to the midway stop and hopefully a little further. Steep hills the rest of July, focus on strength, recovery riding between workouts, stay high. Riding 4 to 5 times per week.
                        August - Second shot at Pikes Peak, go until either endurance or strength gives out (I'm guessing it will be strength). Whichever one gives out first will determine the focus of training for the rest of the month. Riding 4 to 5 times per week.
                        September - Continue training from the end of August then a final Pikes Peak attempt.

My brother says he's going to attempt Pikes Peak with me - I'll believe it when I see the whites of his eyes. Legs, aka the hot blond yoga chick, says she'll do some of the training with me - she always liked the mountain rides. The Bullet, who claims I broke her with all the climbing we did last year, is taking charge of my training - hmm, I could be in big trouble here. It's got all the makings of another great year, if all goes well there could be quite a few vertical miles.

Dave, the two most popular bike computers are probably the Garmin Edge and Polar, although I understand Fit Bit is trying to get into the space. Whatever you decide, wireless is really nice and heart rate, speed, cadence, elevation, distance, course and the multitude of averages, totals and statistical measures available from them can be pretty much fun if you don't take them too seriously. There are also a number of web sites to which you can download your ride data and share it with friends, like MSrunner, Marina and me. Be warned, Marina looks like she's going to kill it this year.

The fun has begun,

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum last week and this is my first post. I just had my 2 year anniversary of my MS diagnosis and am doing my best to stay active, at least physically.

I've been running regularly for about 15 years, doing triathlons since 2008, doing volunteer coaching for my triathlon club the last 5 years.

I swim, cycle or run about 7 to 8 times a week and doing my best to keep at that level.

This year's objectives:
                          [bragging begins]
                          • 10k run early april
                          • 21k run end of april
                          • Ottawa combo, end of may: cycle to Ottawa (200k) on Saturday. Half-marathon on Sunday.
                          • A couple of sprint triathlons this summer
                          • A 5km open water swim in August
                          • A 50km (or 100km) grand fondo in July (my first grand fondo)
                          • A 125km trail run in September (this is actually an MS fundraiser)
                          • Rest ;-)

At least, that's the plan so far. Last year was similar except that one of the two triathlons was a half Ironman, I did the 65km for the trail run and no open water swim or grand fondo. I feel very lucky that I am still able to do all this but I get the feeling that it's getting harder.
                          [bragging ends]

Snow is starting to melt here in Montreal, can't wait to take the bike out.

Aerobic exercise does not only help me long term but short term as well! I have cognition and fatigue problems and if I force myself to step out of the house and start cycling, running or swimming I usually feel much better within 2 minutes and this sometimes stays for at least a couple of hours after I'm back.
                          Coaching running has been a blessing, it forces me to get out the door even if I'm feeling lethargic.

Comment

Overdue hi to Grady. Gad you've moved from lurking . Amazing work. Keep posting!

Ron, welcome. Another Montrealer. Amazing. That is quite the list of goals. I am a swimmer and interested where the swim event will be in the summer.

Feel free to make contact tmjohns@hotmail.com.

And now for a swim.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

Hey all, I am still working on getting stronger hip flexors , abductors and abs. It really sidelined me because because of hip/ core instability. most activity hurts my joints. But your posts inspire me and I resolved to take advantage of some group exercise at my gym. So today I forced myself to the gym and to Take Pilates. But when I got there that class was full. My other choices were body power or ultra spin. I have a stationary bike, so I glibly walked into body power. I was going to do modified exercises so no worries right? It was a mixed martial arts aerobic class. Ha ha. I really wanted to leave, but couldn't handle the defeat to MS. I felt a little self concious too, especially scanning the room and seeing large women and senior citizens doing their best Hillary swank impersonation. But I stuck out the hour, I couldn't twist and kick or jump. But I could do boxing upper cut and into the ribs of my imaginary opponent . Especially when I made my imaginary opponent everything I was angry about. (Don't need to elaborate here! ) Although my workout was very mild, my body felt great, like I had an awesome work out. It's such an improvement on my recent activity level, I had to post it. The instructor told me afterwards that most people who accidentally take the class will leave after 10 min and she was impressed that I didn't. She also said I could use a chair in the class if I would like or take some other group classes with a little less intensity. So yay, I had a small but needed victory over MS!

Comment

Correction , the class wasn't called body power, it was BODY COMBAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X