Bike MS 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to climbing???

Larry- I can't imagine looking forward to a sustained climb. I avoid hills whenever possible. Climbing is definitely not one of my favorite activities. I am sure that is because I suck at it.
    Really looking forward to meeting you!

My off season cycling class is going well. I am debating whether I can spin at 7 am and ride outside at 10 am. I hope I can talk myself into it. We will ride the tandem at 10 so I can slack a bit.

Marina- It does really stink that the bike shop sold you such a big bike. Yes, I think it may have contributed to a fall. It sounds like your new bike will be sweet.

Pell

Comment

Hopefully I did this right...here she is
      Attached Files

Comment

She's beautiful

She is just beautiful. I enjoyed this article after I got my bike. Of course, once the newness wore off, I didn't keep it as clean
        http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_happy

Comment

Gorgeous bike Marina, I see cycling addiction in your future. I probably shouldn't post this here, little bit of bad language, but WTF:
          http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1267...plained?page=1

Same here Pell, sorry we didn't get any snow west of the divide for you. You'll get to see some of the "Triple Bypass" route though and you can hear me repeat "I love to climb", "I love to climb" over and over again as I try to convince myself I can do that on a bike.

Here's a scary one, 3rd day of this years just announced Ride the Rockies. This might be the ride that had Frank Schleck sucking air so badly in the Pro Challenge last year.
          http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/64954008

Maybe you guys should think about RTR in 2015.

Later,
          Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Hahaha! I love it...a super-freak

I laughed when he was talking about the price of his bike. I was moaning about the cost of my bike, referring to it as the most expensive bike ever made, and he had me look at some other price tags in the store and I no longer feel that way (unless I am being dramatic).

This week was a good week for me. 5.5 hours of spin class including a "super spin fest" yesterday, which was a 2 hour class. I don't know what it will transfer to on the bike, but as it is 24 degrees out right now I might not find out for awhile

Comment

2/9/2012

WOW! Bike MS has been elevated to Sticky Status! That is very cool! Thanks Dave! I hope it encourages other bike riding MSers to join us. We’re not pro’s, we’re just riding along, trying to figure this stuff out as we go… and we are having a lot of fun doing it.

So I did meet Pell. She may not have been quite the voice of reason I envisioned, we had too much in common for that, other than MS and bikes. I may or may not have successfully convinced her to ride the Colorado hills with me but there is no doubt we will meet for a ride one day. I thoroughly enjoyed our trip Pell and already look forward to our next meeting. Sorry about the snow, or lack of rather.

Looks like I’m going to have to join everyone else in spin class. The snow just won’t turn loose of my training grounds; all of my bike buddies are spinning; and you guys are starting to shame me into it. The suffer fest at my club takes place every Sunday morning. It’s a 1-hour class with an optional ½ hour extension. I am just sure it’s a sweat filled, endorphin generating SpinOrama designed to achieve a max heart rate I never thought possible all while converting my legs to jelly. But maybe I’m the one being overly dramatic now? Anyway, it’s definitely what I need, I think. Any survival tips?

The ride continues,

Comment

ride across America documentary

Have you guys seen this video? Got me pumped up for the cycling season. I think it's coming on Showtime soon too. It was good for me to watch during a long indoor training session this week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWV5KC

It's got the guy from the Amazing Race doing a bike across America. He raised over $400k for NMSS.

Comment

Spinning tips

Larry- my spinning instructor lets me bring an extra fan. I may try wearing my cooling vest. I think it would be perfect for that. My biggest problem is the heat. I am soaked with sweat at the end of 50 minutes.
                  Went snoeshoeing today- wish I had worn my HRM. OMG- I was sucking air on the uphill climbs. It was beautiful in the Gore Creek area and so nice to be outside.
                  Banshee- I gave that to my husband for Christmas.

Larry- Great to meet you. We were on the Vail pass cycling train today on snowshoes. There is definitely some elevation gain. You are in amazing shape to be able to ride that.

Pell
                  Attached Files

Comment

Spin class was almost everything I envisioned. It was sweat filled, endorphin generating and did convert my legs to jelly. I did not however, reach a new max HR. In fact we were cautioned to keep our HR below Lactate Threshold, that point at which the body can no longer clear enough lactic acid from the muscles to maintain the current level of effort. For me, that’s about 90% of my max HR. I was glad to find a class that was not High Intensity Interval (HIT) drills but will need to find one that is or do them on my own. I want that balance in my training.

The room was a little small Pell, crowded with about 20 bikes and had 3 wall mounted rotating fans but must have had its own climate control because it stayed quite cool the entire time. And, if we’re talking about the place in Vail where the bike trail just starts up Vail Pass proper, that is THE steepest climb on the entire Triple Bypass route. It is very tough on a bike and I’m definitely not there yet, but I can’t even begin to imagine going up that in snowshoes.

Phil Keoghan’s Trans American bike tour is cool. He’s come through here at least twice. Although I have yet to get out there to see him, if he comes through again, and especially if I have an “I ride with MS” jersey, I will get there and try to ride a few miles with him. I really don’t want to be the only one with the jersey though.

Comment

2/18/2012

Back to playing catch up with Marina and Pell. Got 3.5 hrs in on a trainer this week, was going to do my first climb today but managed to get a back spasm so will be out for a couple of days. Kind of dissapointed about that because I am eager to see where I stand WRT sustained climbing. Hopefully next time.

Larry

Comment

Pain of spinning

Larry- I hope your back is better. Muscle spasms do hurt.
                        I have been falling off on my spinning class. Monday I couldn't talk myself into going. I did go this morning and it was really tough. I would so much rather be outside.
                        We have noticed that our pedal stroke is more even all the way around due to the spinning. We may be able to stand on the tandem if we can keep the round pedal stroke. Up until now, standing has been a fast way to kiss the ground.
                        Not very motivated to work hard. I need to get that motivation back.

Pell

Comment

2/24/2012

Got 20 minutes in this week, no climbing.

In my youth I was plagued by muscle spasms in my lower back. I hadn’t had one in 15 years until last Friday and even then, it wasn’t as bad as I remembered. So, after a day or so and in accordance with my philosophy of riding injuries and illnesses out on the bike, I tried to do a little light spinning at the club. After about 20 minutes my back spasm returned, with a vengeance. I actually had to be helped out of the cardio room because I couldn’t walk, stand, or even crawl. I’ve spent the last four days propped up on the couch with an assortment of hot and cold packs on my back. There is certainly a lesson to be learned there somewhere, something to do with patience and healing and taking care of yourself.

On the bright side, I managed to finish “Feast For Crows”, the 4th book in the George R. R. Martin series “A Song of Ice and Fire”. I managed a little yoga today but not much more, I don’t want to end up finishing the fifth book next week.

I’m not very motivated right now either Pell, but as soon as I get this back thing under control I will start posting my cycling log and goals on here again. I know that if I do that, I WILL make the effort to follow through.

Where’s Dave??????

Comment

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope things improve for you soon.

As for me, I have been fighting the winter crud of an off for a few weeks.

We are spinning 3-4 days a week and also taking swim lessons, that isn't going too great for me, so now I have a private coach with a lot more patience and am learning via the "total immersion" method. It seems to be going better, but the timing is so tough for me, trying to remember so many things at once.

We finally ordered some arm and leg warmers so maybe we will be outside sooner than I though. I am a big baby for the cold, so we will see.

Comment

3/3/2012
                              Marina,
                              Swimming was never one of my strong points so I’d hardly be one to help much with that. We do know it is not unlikely that neural damage from the MS is making things more difficult and that neural damage can take quite a lot of time and effort to resolve to any extent. As far as attitude goes, well, we all constantly deal with that one. I guess I console myself with the idea that it’s really all about the training and the very positive effect exercise has on a person with MS, AND just how lucky we are to be doing this stuff at all.

Glad you got the cold weather gear ordered, I'm anxious to hear how things go on the new bike. Personally I think it is incredible how far you’ve come in what…about a year or so. You deserve a lot of credit there Marina. I also love your passion for what you’re trying to do. Don’t stop.

Thanks to back injuries and that crud that is definately going around, I’ve managed a whopping 2 hours of trainer time in the last two weeks. Hopefully that’s all behind me now and I can get going again. The current plan is to get back on schedule with the goal of making at least 3,000 ft. of sustained ascent by the end of the month.

Pell, I thought we were having bad winds but I see you guys are faring much worse, hope all is well there.

Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry At my swim lessons on Friday I was actually able to take a breath and keep going, that was huge for me, so I am feeling a bit encouraged.

I had my bike fit today. First off, the guy talked me into getting rid of my training wheels pedals and bike shoes (pedals - http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53.../dp/B002NVJEOM and shoes - http://www.rei.com/product/810725/pe...:referralID=NA) and replacing them with real road bike shoes and pedals.

Well, I get home and decide to practice with the new shoes and pedals since they are so different. Yea... I fell right on my ass Balancing on one foot to get into the pedal and then start biking is so much harder (different) so I feel like I have gone 10 steps back with biking. I had no issues with balance or starting to bike with the old setup...but this new set up is throwing me.

My first reaction is of course wanting to go back to the old things, but I know I should not do this.

Did you have a hard time when you first started using the different type bike shoes/clipless pedals. I never imagined it would really make so much of a difference....but it like learning to walk and stand and balance all over again! I figured switching from one kind of clip in shoes and pedals to another would not be a big problem. Nope - huge problem.

On a more positive note, I think the fit is great. The pressure is totally alleviated from my hands, and I plan to ride it around for a month before coming back in for adjustment. He does 2-3 adjustments.
                                Last edited by Marinadca; 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X