View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM
MS Yoda

Veronica, I am green with envy, hope to hear all about the skiing. I used to do quite a lot of skiing. Unfortunately, just as I was getting really good on the double black diamond moguls, they took out one of my knees. So it goes. I am still good at 'apres ski' though so if you get bored up there, drop me a line.

I've been getting out 2 to 3 times per week on the bike. I may not be keeping my hours or mileage up but I have been consistent about hitting the hills twice a week. I've been doing a range of hill intervals anywhere from 2 minutes to twenty minutes and trying to hold certain power and heart rate levels on them, always with full recovery between intervals. The idea is to increase leg strength and it may be working although the increase I've seen so far is only in the range of a percent or two. I plan to build this kind of strength building interval work into my training next year, I can already see I'm going to need some steeper hills though.

I've also started planning for the off season. I'm going to concentrate on core building and a few plyometric exercises. Plyometric's are exercises based around having muscles exert maximum force in very short intervals of time, with the goal of increasing both speed and power - Wikipedia. There are several of both the core and plyo exercises I can't actually do yet so I'm going to have to enlist the help of a personal trainer or, if I'm lucky, the hot blond yoga chick to get me started. Anyway, that's the current plan and I am starting to shift into off season mode.

One of the plyo exercises is called a squat jump. From a squat position you jump up explosively throwing your arms in the air getting as high off the ground as you can. Do 2 sets of 10 reps in rapid succession. I surprised myself by getting about an inch and a half off the ground and being able to do 1 set of 3 reps. Funny!