Thread: Who here bikes?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
MS Yoda

Default Tour de Tucson

I completed the Tour de Tucson that DD invited me to a while back and I have to say, it was a real rush to start in the middle of the 5,000 or so riders in the 109 mile race this time. It took a few miles for that to all sort itself out and at the end of it, I found myself separated from the rest of our party.

By the half way point, I was running about 20 minutes behind where I wanted to be and according to my wife, about 30 minutes behind everyone else. I couldnít understand why I was running late but since everything else felt about right I didnít change anything except try to pay more attention to keeping my food and water stops short. About 30 miles later DD called and I managed to figure out that she was only about 15 minutes ahead, then I did try to pick up my pace a little.

There was a bit of a head wind and some pretty nasty gusts over the last 20 miles but I still managed to finish within 15 minutes of DD. In the end, I finished in under the 9 hour minimum I had set for myself but didnít make the 7.5 hour mark I would have liked to. Although I couldnít beat the 3 people in our party who were at least 20 years younger than me, I did beat the 3 who werenít. Thatís not too bad for an old MSer is it?

Time for a little therapeutic overindulgence for the next month or so. Happy Holidays everyone,

AMF