AFO Devices - Any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFO Devices - Any recommendations?

I'm kinda tired of tripping over nothing, so I'm going to get an AFO.

My PT suggested I research something called a "Blue Rocker." And that posterior AFO's are most common.

I'll most likely be limited somewhat by what insurance will cover, but I know nothing about them.

...\O/...
    Liv__Well
    ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

I started with the blue rocker and it's great for walking but I was having trouble running. So I contacted the company, Allard USA and they were wonderful. They sent me out a "toe-off" and that for me is much better. both the blue rocker and the toe-off are carbonfiber with the strut on the front. I wouldn't be able to do 1/2 of what I do without them. I am kinda glad I have both, the bloue rocker is much more stable for when I am very tired or not having a good day. But most of the time I wear the toe-off. You can go on there website and look around. Also they are sponsoring this woman Beth to run 12 1/2 marathons this year. You can check out her facebook page " Get Back Up"

Comment

I'd heard about Beth and have checked out her Facebook page. She's actually paralyzed from the knee down I believe and quite the inspiration!

I'm hoping an AFO will be beneficial especially on those days when I'm particularly wobbly.

Thank you for the info!

...\O/...
      Liv__Well
      ..../\.......

Comment

Blue Rocker is great

I've had a Allard Blue Rocker for a couple years and it's been great. Haven't had a single problem. It has made such a difference for me, I'm getting a matching pair soon.

sulgrifjewls, the Toe Off and the Blue Rocker look the same to me, what's the difference? Did you, or has anyone tried the Allard Ypsilon? I like the low profile but afraid I'd snap it!
        [e]

Comment

I had my cast made last week. I opted for a posterior style.

...\O/...
          Liv__Well
          ..../\.......

Comment

The blue rocker is much more stable but very stiff. The toe-off allows my ankle to move so if I am on uneven ground I have a harder time, but it is much easier to run with ( just not trail running) I went to NJ to meet with the Allard people I went with a broken toe-off, so they had an orthotist there to fit me. He first put a Ypsilon on me and had me walk around. It felt different, even lighter, but he stopped me and had me take it off. He said it won't work for you. Then he asked why I had foot drop and when I said MS. He said I should have know it usually doesn't work well for MS. Something to do with my knee hyperextending? I don't know I didn't even have a chance to try running.
            Did you get the "noodle" with the posterior strut? I have one of those I bike with

Comment

I also have the blue rocker and I love it. I believe it has kept me walking longer than I would have without it. I even wear it in the house with houseslippers. The worst part for me was getting rid of all my shoes.

Comment

Well, I ended up with a posterior leaf spring AFO! I hear these are pretty typical - been around forever. It's pretty unspectacular but comfortable, especially in a pair of running shoes I have already. I was advised to break it in for about a week, gradually increasing the length of time I wear it.

So, hopefully no more near face-plants in the cafeteria at work! (At least not for foot-drop.)

...\O/...
                Liv__Well
                ..../\.......

Comment

new to afo

has anyone used the step smart?

Comment

I recently got some feedback from a fellow ActiveMSer on the Step-Smart. Recommended!
                    -Dave

http://www.step-smart.com/

I often travel - just returned from Russia and Normandy - and am always on the look-out for a simple, easy-to-wear, and inconspicuous brace when my foot gets tired. I came across an excellent one called "Step-smart," designed by Ian Engelman (sp?) of Insightful Products. If you go on that website, (Insightfulproducts.com), look on testimonials and click on step-smart, you will see a man in a green shirt who has foot-drop and now can walk 18 holes of golf - no problem. I sent for this thing, and although I still wish it could be worn in more fashionable shoes and boots - which I don't believe it can - it definitely beats any other device I have seen on the market. I am not in any way a spokesman for this product, but would love to help other people with MS who, like myself, have been advised to wear ridiculously high, uncomfortable, rigid braces that are not half as effective.
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

My neuro recommended I look at an AFO, so I wanted to bump this to the top. Maybe carbon fiber? Just starting to look into it. - D
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

I wear an AFO to run and for longer walks/hiking. I had to try at least 7 to find the right one. They are all made so differently. Some literally tore up my leg, scars to prove it. The size and shape of your legs play a big part in the fit. I do have the Matrix carbon fiber and it works well enough. The straps suck though because they are cheap velcro. I have to wear a compression sock under the brace because it will scratch my leg. Some flexibility but strong enough to endure my so called running. Many people like the blue rocker but it's all in the way it fits your foot and leg.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, RF! Fit sounds really important.
                          Dave Bexfield
                          ActiveMSers

Comment

About a year ago I started tripping again, left foot this time, so I went back to my PT. When I told her the orthotist she sent me to had talked me out of the Blue Rocker, she was not happy.

She sent me to a different person, and now I have the Blue Rocker, one for each foot. Big improvement over the flex leaf in support. They took some getting used to and I take off the right one when driving. I can drive with it on, I just have to push my seat back a bit.

...\O/...
                            Liv__Well
                            ..../\.......

Comment

Thanks LW! I hope to get a fitting set up for next week. Many things to consider....
                              Dave Bexfield
                              ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                              X