No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a recap, Larry! It was like I was riding along with you, even into that darn headwind. And Marina, for me to average 12 mph would be a miracle, and on my leg trike pretty much impossible these days. I can't keep up with Laura briskly walking, ha!

As for me, I just set another distance PR! But the curse of 20 miles reared it's ugly head again, damn it. Was having a fantastic day and stopped halfway—I was 10.5 miles into the ride—for lunch and a boozy shake... perhaps not the most brilliant idea, but I was feeling great and confident I'd break 20. On the way back, we passed on the slightly longer off-road section of the trail, but I was still sure I would make it happen. Made it to 19.5 miles before a bathroom emergency (uh, thanks MS) required ending the ride just a half mile short of the big two-oh. (And I was planning to do circles in the driveway if push came to shove, but alas.) My quest continues.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

• Glad you all liked the story, trust me though, the actual ride is soooo much better.

Veronica, so glad to see you're still out there having way too much fun! Better luck on encountering the patrol next time, I agree, that would really have made for an exceptional addition to the adventure.

Marina, I recently compared training years with a friend and we each agreed the hill climbing worked well as far as strength improvement but that we needed to include more long rides in our schedules to improve our endurance. Intervals alone just aren't enough to prepare for the long rides. As far as increasing heat tolerance, it usually takes me about 3 weeks but you'll only know by trying.

Hey Dave, how about going out for two rides in one day to break the 20 mile wall? That should count shouldn't it?

The Bullet is threatening me with Pikes Peak Monday I hope it rains/snows.

Comment

• Hello all,

Great recap, Larry. Congratulations, I felt like I was riding along with you.

Marina, I hear you, weather conditions make gettying outside a challenge. I have hardly been out all week except to swim. I plan to make it my priority this autumn.

Veronica, night riding is so fun. Keep on having fun!

Suebee, thanks for your kind words post triathlon swim although I am not sure it is deserved.

Dave, the usual inspiration for us all. Such progress on your bike.

I am back in Montreal and pool training continues. I also do a series of exercises in bed including some isometric exercises, crawling and modified balance and sit to kneel manoeuvers at my headboard. I plan to start working again with my trainer. Walking farther and more frequently is a goal. This summer I increased my deck walks from twice back and forth to 12 times.

Take good care, all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Hey all, I figured it was time for me to put my two cents in here again.

Just to comment on all the recent updates:

Larry: as others have said, you write and we all are riding right along with you for sure! A very thrilling adventure....Now, I don't think it snowed on Pike's Peak today, so did the Bullet drag you screaming up the road today???

Marina: I know you wanted the century, but 70 miles with the summer having been what it was here in the NE is very admirable as far as I can see. I hope the Seagull Century is a fun ride for you. Concerning my lights, there are alot of choices out there that are inexpensive, and effective. Cateye has some combinations of headlight and tail lights. I always use them, even in the daylight, as since I am low, on the trail, if oncoming riders are passing others, they often don't see me right away as they are looking for other DFs, not trikers. I don't remember the brand, but I tried a rechargeable set, but found they just didn't keep the charge well, so I've just gone back to batteries that will need replacement.

Teena Marie: You've got good goals there, and nice to read of the progress that you have made with the deck walking. I am intrigued with the sit to kneel exercise that you do...

Dave: I feel your angst with getting SO CLOSE to a new benchmark. But most important is that I love hearing of the great fun and satisfaction that you are getting out of that handcycle. And all kidding aside, it must be really working your arms...
          Your tan that you shared on Twitter/Facebook is a badge of honor, for sure. Back in the days when most bike gloves had openings on the back of the hands, I prided myself with that wierd tan to prove just how much I was out there riding. Of course non-cyclists often asked me what was wrong with my hands..

As for me, I went back out for a longer ride on Sunday. Had been focusing almost too much on sprint work, or at least with pushing my speed on a shorter ride. Listened to Larry's advise about the value of a longer ride and just did my 13ish mile circuit twice, and at a comfortable, but not leisurely pace. Total ride was 26.75 miles, and I was so tempted to blow past the turn off to the bike shop where I start, to have a good fast ride down a long descent on the trail....would have added about 5 miles, but really didn't feel like ending the ride climbing back up it...so I was happy with the 26.75...longest ride I've had all season. I was happy with my speed, too. While it is not increasing as fast as I would like, it has stabilized at higher than earlier this season.
          Only had two runners pass me on an incline... Progress!! (They were the ONLY runners on the incline, but, hey.....) AND I got to finally say "On your left" to two other trikers.... was afraid they would then pass me by on the first incline.... They didn't... I felt very smug.... Have to work on this competitiveness!
          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Pikes Peak, been there, done that

Ha, advantage Veronica, 26.75 miles to less than 20! Forget the speed!

Pikes Peak, been there, done that! Alright, alright, I only did 9 miles by bike. The other 10 we drove. But let me just say, that is one mofo big steep mountain.

Initially, I was in shock that the Bullet was holding me to my threat to bike up this hill. I had to pull myself out of it though when it became obvious she wasn't going to let go of it. I'd trained well for shorter hill climbs this year and I knew I had gotten stronger too, so if there was ever going to be a chance, this was it. I reasoned that 9 to 12 miles miles from the base could just be possible.

By the time Monday rolled around I was getting pretty upbeat about trying it, even discovering a flat tire the morning of didn't phase me. It was a beautiful morning, the temperature was in the low 60's, the sun was out, we had food and water, the Bullet had even prepared a recovery drink for me, we were both pretty excited by the prospect of doing this.

When we got to the entry gate, we were met with the unmistakable smell of burning breaks. As I got out to unload the bike I noticed the smell strengthen with each passing car coming down the hill. I know that forboding smell well, it invariably means there's long steep hill near by and indeed, the maps and elevation profiles I'd looked at said that the first 3 to 4 miles were going to be tough.

In hind sight it may have been a good thing that the worst came first because the legs were fresh so I was able to get up the multiple 8 to 12 % grades in that first three miles. Of course, my heart rate shot up to red line within the first 20 minutes and I had to stop for a minute or two and recover. That 15 to 20 minutes of pedaling followed by a minute or two recovery turned out to be the repetitive sequence of the day.

3 or 4 short rests later I had conquered the first three miles and the hill had begun to relent a little, like maybe to 6 to 8% but I still was stopping every 15 to 20 minutes to let my heart rate recover. Apparently I'd burned a lot of whatever matches I had available on those first miles because when the grades fell further, like to 3 or 4%, I was still only good for about 20 minutes. Even a short downhill section didn't help much.

It went like that for the next 4 miles or so before the hill began to steepen back up a little. Now I found I was counting breaths and not getting very far before taking another break. By mile 8, I was only getting about 500 feet before having to stop again.

The Bullet stayed near by, surveying the road ahead then coming back to report to me, always giving me lots of encouragement along with a little food and water when I needed it. By about mile 8.5 I was down to 250 feet between rests and that was when the Bullet came back to report that the hill went more or less vertical in another half mile. I told her I'd make the next half mile but that would probably be it, she didn't argue.

She went ahead and parked right at the base of where the hill went all switchbacky and near verticle. I approached at a rate of about 250 feet between rests. When I finally made it to the car, it took me 5 minutes just to get off the bike. She drove us the rest of the way to the top.

We saw two other guys on road bikes. Both of them had sag vehicles accompanying them. One of them might have made it to the top, but I'm not sure.

The cars on the road were extremely courteous, some even stopping ahead to yell out encouragement as I slowly passed. At the top, some drivers came over to congratulate me on my effort even if I didn't ride the bike all the way.

A couple of motorcycle riders came over also, to compare notes on the ascent. If I hadn't been quite so hypoxic, I might have thought to ask them how they felt about having to descend. There sure wasn't any way I was going to go down that thing on a bike, not this day anyway.

So that's the Pikes Peak hill climb for this old MSer. My legs were mostly ok, it was my cardio that was the weaker link. I think I could finish the last 10 miles if I took it a mile at a time, like at a speed of a mile a week, maybe, but I'm really not ready to think about that right now. Maybe next year one of the girls will make me try, well see.

In the end, my computer reported 9.4 miles at 5.3 mph moving speed, with 2,575 feet of ascent.

AMF Adventures

Comment

• Mountain Man Larry: Wow, interval cycling at its most thrilling! So happy that you met your goal. An astonishing accomplishment. Sounds like you needed a camera crew to capture you and the Bullet in action! Just goes to show, with the right training, motivation and friends, we can accomplish so much.

Concerning my little epic ride, I have to admit that I thought of you Dave when I passed the 20 mile mark. Like I said above, ...with the right motivation...... (Ok, Larry you made me come clean....)

Comment

• Simply amazing, Larry. So impressive. Congratulations.

Veronica, my sit to kneel exercise on my bed is to help with sit to stand so that I don't need to hang on to things to stand up. I sit on my knees and then raise myself up to a full kneeling position and then try to hold this position without hanging on. It helps to strengthen all involved.

Teena Marie

Comment

• Good to read about all your adventures.

Dave - you will crack the 20 mile curse. but Larry's idea of breaking it up is a good one.

Larry - this issue was me, I hope, was that as soon as it got hot I hid inside this year, I really need to push myself outside, even if for short bursts so I get more used to it. It just went from pleasant 70s to 100+ this year and I was not thinking it would stay that way, but it did. Next year I need to just go ahead and assume that it will stay so hot and sticky. Still, with my sad training level I did pretty well, but the 70 miles was enough (more than enough!)

Teena - those bed exercises sound awesome for balance (I am thinking with my pillow top mattress) and rest if you get tired. Woohoo on upping your deck walks. Also I am thinking I could benefit alot from your sit to kneel exercises. Usually I can get up from a chair or couch or something without hanging on to something. But getting up from my trike, which is lower, can be a different story!

Veronica - Your ride sounds awesome I love getting to say "On your left" especially when I am passing someone on a road bike! Though I know they will catch me as soon as we get even the slightest incline! I also bought some lights, a front and back set. They are really bright and I am very happy with them

Larry - YAY on your Pikes Peak adventure. Love your way of telling stories, so engaging And awesome job! You are a super star!

As for me - the weather has calmed down enough here so that I can get outside some days woohooo. I did a 31 mile ride Saturday and it felt so good to be outside in the fresh air. The trail was super crowded and there was no poor etiquette on display. But the star of the day were all the animals I saw. A deer, a family of bunnies, a huge chicken/cock. a million squirrels, and so many unusual birds

Comment

• Thanks for the detail of your sit to knee exercise, Teena Marie. Gonna try this...

Marina, I wanted to share with you an exercise I started to do to get my legs stronger for unloading from the chairlift when I ski. Since I haven't been skiing yet (surprising, right? ) I don't know yet how well it will work, BUT it has tremendously helped me get up from the trike. I am now nailing it first time, un assisted after EVERY RIDE.... Here's what I do:

Another Sit to Stand drill... I sit on a chair, hard or soft, and hold a 10 lbs weight in each hand, arms hanging down straight along my side. Then I stand up, and sit back down. Really works legs and abs. Worked up to 3 sets of 10 reps. I have gotten so good at this, that when I finish my ride at the bike shop, and the owner is outside, he always says " You know I'm here to help you, but I know you don't want my help..." Still isn't a pretty picture when I am positioning myself to get up, but I am doing it, and it feels like such an accomplishment...

Comment

• Hi guys- haven't posted since before I moved out- this year has been crazy. Getting a divorce- guess that's not uncommon after disability. I've made huge strides with workouts, though. Started handcycling a little over the summer, and got a recumbent bike of my own. I can't do much on it (so far four miles) but I'm super excited my legs work well enough to do anything at all. I spent two weeks with AXIS dance company in Oakland doing their teacher training for adaptive dance, which was absolutely awesome. I loved it. They had me dancing using my chair and my SideStix. I have a massive wingspan!! Still playing a ton of wheelchair sports, and adding in basketball has been helping to kickstart my fingers up. Best of all, I just summit Mount Rose last weekend. 12 mile hike for me. Mount Rose is 10,778 ft. Wasn't sure I was going to make it, super happy I did. Maybe I'll post a pic that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veronica View Post
                        Thanks for the detail of your sit to knee exercise, Teena Marie. Gonna try this...

Marina, I wanted to share with you an exercise I started to do to get my legs stronger for unloading from the chairlift when I ski. Since I haven't been skiing yet (surprising, right? ) I don't know yet how well it will work, BUT it has tremendously helped me get up from the trike. I am now nailing it first time, un assisted after EVERY RIDE.... Here's what I do:

Another Sit to Stand drill... I sit on a chair, hard or soft, and hold a 10 lbs weight in each hand, arms hanging down straight along my side. Then I stand up, and sit back down. Really works legs and abs. Worked up to 3 sets of 10 reps. I have gotten so good at this, that when I finish my ride at the bike shop, and the owner is outside, he always says " You know I'm here to help you, but I know you don't want my help..." Still isn't a pretty picture when I am positioning myself to get up, but I am doing it, and it feels like such an accomplishment...

Thanks Veronica - the last 2 times I was on my trike and I paid special attention to what I have the most trouble with when getting up. I seem to go from sit to stand OK (though I do use the middle bar for balance and need to work on that) but the real issue seems to be when I take 1 foot off the ground to swing that leg over and away from the trike. Not surprising as the 1-legged balance was the thing that original took me off of my DF. Starting/stopping was getting very dicey.

Are you going from sit to standing with a foot on each side of the boom without any steadying? This is what I really need work on. And the actual stepping away process.

npavlato - I am sorry to hear about the divorce, but these things do happen and its better now then later.

Glad you are able to get on the trike and go - such a feeling of freedom to move on your own steam no matter how far or how fast

And your adaptive dance sounds awesome! I had to look at some videos and its just as cool as it sounds. Good on you for taking up and exploring different wheelchair sports. Good on you!

And the hiking - wow!!! That is a huge accomplishment, and I do not think I can even come close to that! Please do post a picture.

Comment

• Nope Marina, I can't unstraddle the trike without looking like a contortionist! No way can I lift one leg or the other up and over the boom and maintain balance.... if no one is there to just steady me, I can do it if I have my cane, or have something to lean on on the side. I can't imagine that there is an exercise that will help me with that... When I take the help () someone can hold my hands and I very awkwardly shuffle off the trike forward. Not very graceful at all! And while my sit to stand has allowed me to get up the first time,( straddling the boom) I need to use the boom for support. And don't see that changing either... But I'm taking my "little" success of being able to stand first time as a major accomplishment for me this season!

Comment

• OK that makes sense. I dont see myself not using something to steady myself, but also the trike with and standing unassisted at all. I can do the action but the bike can move a bit and we need to control that as must as ourselves.

Now I just wish there was a more graceful step away process. I didn't take note of what Steve does but I will have to have him demonstrate and try working on that.

Comment

• npavlato, WOW, you're really busy! Congrats on the summit of Mount Rose. I imagine just about everyone on this site can relate to "Wasn't sure I was going to make it," I know I sure can. Nice job.
                              Originally posted by npavlato View Post
                              Best of all, I just summit Mount Rose last weekend. 12 mile hike for me. Mount Rose is 10,778 ft. Wasn't sure I was going to make it, super happy I did. Maybe I'll post a pic that.
                              As for me, shifting gears here, moving back to the club for weights, core work and legs. Found a new machine. It's called a Lateral. It's an elliptical machine that moves in the lateral direction, I thought it might be good to get ready for skiing. I did 15 minutes on it the first time and couldn't walk for two days afterward, holy smokes. I'm up to 25 minutes now and I can walk the next day but it does play hell with lower leg spasticity for a while. Love finding ways to get at muscles that still work though. Also doing the sit to stand exercise, thanks Veronica!

About the Bike
                              I rarely dismount my bike when I'm on a ride, particularly if I have someone with me who's willing to get food and water for me. When I do dismount, the bike becomes a universal mobility tool for me.

Most frequently it serves as a resting position, one foot unclipped, bike slightly leaned over, one hand on a break and butt lightly resting on the saddle. I find it is possible to move and forage at a rest stop in this position too. It's also possible to do light leg stretches.

It can also serve as a kind of lean-to seat. Fully dismounted, bike slightly leaning, sitting perpendicular to it on the top tube with one hand on a break. It's not that comfortable but does serve in a pinch.

And the bike as a cane. I almost always use this when I have to walk and there's not a shoulder to borrow near by. Fully dismounted, standing on the left side of the bike, both hands on the handlebar, one to balance me and steer the bike, the other on a brake to keep it from rolling when I don't want it to. I find this one essential to get me up a hill that might have stopped me, to get me to a rest room, and to navigate rest areas that I can't ride for whatever reason. It's also the position I have the most trouble from other people with. Sometimes, on organized rides, ride marshals don't want bikes in certain areas and I have to try to explain that it's not a bike, it's a mobility aid and, if I have to, I invoke the ADA. It's also hard to take it into a convenience store, although I have done it. But generally it just gets me close enough to wall and counter surf to wherever I need to go. And of course, well meaning onlookers are always eager to help me with it by holding it or taking it and putting it in a bike rack. Again, I try to explain that I need it for support, but thank you very much.

My preferred use of course is riding it, on a good road, in a beautiful setting! Oh, that reminds me, the aspen are turning color here!

Nice work everyone,
                              Larry

Comment

• Hi all,

I like the info and discussion on sit to stand. I have often wondered how everyone gets up from your trikes. I still plan to be on a bike, stationary to start.

npavlato, good work on your climb and the dance work must be amazing.

Larry, I like the sound of the Lateral. I plan to look it up.

I am still in my outdoor pool. It is chilly. I purchased a neoprene long sleeved top that is proving to be just the ticket to be able to continue my workout. I may also get a neoprene cap to keep my head warm.

I am heading to the pool now. It's 60 degrees and makes me think twice before my plunge but once I get over that, I feel amazing.

Keep up the amazing work, all.

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X