View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 11:07 PM
MS Whisperer

Ok, admittedly Iím way way way above my pay grade ... but I noticed an ingredient in dimethyl fumarate looks connected to HDL levels so I throw this out there for you science people to analyze ....

1) premise : dimethyl fumarate
uses Nrf2 to reduce inflammatory process. New Oral Agents for Multiple Sclerosis: A Healthcare Professional's Guide
Medically reviewed by L. Anderson, PharmD Last updated on Apr 14, 2019.

2) premise: Nrf2 is well studied and known to reduce inflammation and modulate cholesterol in good way. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.01308

3) Premise: Nrf2 can be found in natural sources like olive oil and nuts and natural sources can be used to increase HDL. Specifically, A Recent , ď (PREDIMED) trial reported that dietary polyphenols intake such as extra-virgin olive oil and nuts were associated with improved CVD risk factors and decreased inflammatory biomarkers levels in high CVD risk participants. It was shown that polyphenol intake decreased blood pressure (BP), increased plasma high density lipoprotein (HDL) and decreased the inflammatory biomarkers of CVD, including vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 (VCAM-1), intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), IL-6, TNF-α as well as MCP-1Ē. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.01308

4) If the above 3 premises are true, why did article posted conclude that increased HDL levels of patients who took dimethyl fumarate is a possible valuable bio marker for the DMD??? Is this not circular reasoning??? Wouldn't we expect HDL to increase if patient is compliant with this Oral drug, all things otherwise remaining equal? Isnít it better to stick with quantifying how dimethyl fumarate reduces number of flares and severity, improves quality of life, etc. Seems like quantifying how an oral drug known to modulate HDL increases ones HDL is a useless value for measuring DMD. Iím not insulted at all if anyone can explain how Iím daft here.