View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM
MS Yoda

That is very good news Dave. Since you have striven to keep your muscles in as good a shape as possible through out the course of your MS, what you may be facing now is neuronal regeneration necessary to regain lost muscle control resulting from previous nerve death. This article seems to be a good summary plus a little new information of the effect of exercise on neurogenesis. Basically it says that exercise is the main component to stimulate the development of neuronal stem cells and to prompt those stem cells to go on to perform multiple tasks from memory enhancement to muscle control improvement. Obviously it becomes more complicated in the case of MS as the rate of MS progression would certainly have an impact. And of course there are a plethora of other unanswered questions but, at the same time, there is no indication that the neurogenesis process would stop. At any rate, although not MS specific, it seems to be quite an encouraging article. Be sure to read the whole thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/ma...1&ref=magazine

As an aside, my own MS seems to be in long term remission except for the odd drug related exacerbation and, even at 60+ years of age, I also find a slow recovery from what I believe is the neural death caused by the more active phases of the disease. Although the recovery is not universal, as there are areas of moderate continued deterioration, it has been noticeably positive overall, albeit, quite slow. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the result of a physically active lifestyle.

Indeed, "The human body is the only machine that improves with use".

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-21-2012 at 12:18 PM.