REVIEW: Travel Scooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: Travel Scooters

What if you need a scooter at times, but you don’t need need a scooter? You know what I’m talking about—a scooter for the zoo, or the mall, or on a trip, or perhaps a trek to Costco when all the store’s electric carts are taken. It’s just that I only want to date my scooter right now, nothing serious or permanent. You know, right swipe, not iCupid. And that requirement narrows the dating pool drastically.

In our review, I look at options and make my choice for a lightweight, portable scooter that is sexy, comfortable, and quick—and designed by a fellow MSer.

http://activemsers.org/gear/reviewtravelscooters.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I favor the Luggie, mainly due to the fact that I travel a lot and can store a computer bag under the seat and hang another bag behind the seat. I normally travel by myself.

Comment

Zinger Chair?

Hi everyone - I really appreciate Dave's reviews and have been giving his opinions some serious thought - I was wondering if anyone has heard or tried out the new Zinger Chair? - http://www.zingerchair.com/

These chairs are quite an investment and since we can't try them out I'm having a hard time deciding between the options!
      Thanks again Dave, your work really helps!

~kellie

Comment

Hey Kellie! The link was broken in your post, but I fixed it (double http). It looks like the Zinger has potential. I found this review:

http://www.fastaidproducts.com/2016/...ic-wheelchair/

A few things I noticed. It's a touch heavier than the TravelScoot and SmartScoot, but we are only talking 5-7 lbs. It might not be ideal for long trips (padding looks pretty minimal). And it requires both hands to operate, so no holding a cup of coffee or an umbrella when driving. But all-in-all looks like an interesting concept and sets up quickly. Decent range, too. I like that they now have armrests.

If you get one, I'd love to get some real-world feedback!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

thanks Dave - I was looking for reviews today! I noticed they now have a cup holder option available - as well as the arm rests. I like that it comes in green!
          I would certainly love to hear from anyone who actually has one - I think these are pretty new.
          I guess the bottom line is they all have pluses and minuses and it just depends on each persons individual needs!
          I'm happy to see different options becoming available!
          Thanks again for all you do!

Comment

Love my SmartScoot

Hey All: (from Virginia)

Longtime reader, infrequent poster... Thanks for your review of the SmartScoot. I took the leap and bought my first scooter - loved your description of just wanting to "date" the scooter for the bigger excursions.

We bought the scooter for an upcoming cruise. So far, we have taken the scooter to the mall, to Costco (to learn how to drive) and then to the airport and on the cruise and back.

My feedback so far... do not buy the smartscoot if you do not want to have conversations with just about everyone person that sees it. This thing is a headturner and a conversation starter.

I absolutely love my new scooter. It is so easy to use and it is great for travel. Bonus for me... because I was able to conserve energy while on the cruise, I was actually able to beat my wife in a ping-pong match (best 2 out of 3) for the first time in a while.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Good to hear, Jay. Sounds like your experience has been a lot like mine (well, except for the ping pong victories). I warned in my review that you are going to get attention everywhere you drive it.

How is VA these days? Grew up in Alexandria, went to George Mason, and follow DC sports (for better or for worse). And thanks for the post!!
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Virginia is for Lovers

I've always laughed at our informal state motto... Va. is great and I am happy that Tropical Storm Hermine has mostly spared us this weekend.

I grew up in Williamsburg and now live in Richmond (after attending VCU - Go Rams!).

Keep up the good work! It is greatly appreciated.

I am a lifetime Redskins fan... but it has been challenging at times!

Comment

Will do, Jay. And I plan to continue rooting for the Redskins. Years ago I interviewed Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams (along with Jay Schroeder and others) while the team was practicing at George Mason University (Go Mason!) during the '87 strike.

Wow, I'm old. That's nearly 30 years ago!!
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

One note on scooters: many are not designed for the rain. I'm going on a trip soon and rain is in the forecast, so it'll be the wheelchair over the scooter for this adventure. Just an FYI and something to think about...
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

SmartScoot worth the very expensive cost?

My husband bought me a Drive Go Go Sport 4-wheel for heavy-duty use because we live on a dirt road and it seems heavy duty enough to go on the dirt road and get me to the pond to swim. But I need something light weight that I can get in and out of the car and take with me for scooting around the office and conferences for work. I see a lot of different costs from $500 (Shoprider Echo 3), the Luggie - as costly as the SmartScoot, and of course your recommendation for the SmartScoot. What makes the SmartScoot worth the expensive cost?

Comment

Hannah, scooters are just plain expensive. All of the lightweight versions hover over $2,000 (SmartScoot, TravelScoot, Luggie). The Shoprider logs in at over 70lbs, so it is not in the same category, hence the price difference. Heck, I would like an even lighter scooter, but that would mean even higher end components like carbon fiber.... and a likely price tag of over $5K. Yikes!
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Discount code?

How does one access the discount coupons or codes for the Smart Scoot?

Comment

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler 3 wheel vs 4 wheel

The 3 wheel was recommended by the local surgical supply store. It's a reputable store, but the person who handles power equipment sales is not disabled. He liked the maneuverability of the 3 wheel model. The few reviews I've read suggest that while neither will hand hills very well, the 4 wheel may be OK on gravel and grass, which would be nice, while the 3 wheel is best on smooth surfaces only. Both can be dismantled for transport (also important for me), for car and airline transport, with the heaviest piece on the 4 wheel about 35 lbs. Does anyone have experience with these models who could offer an opinion regarding the Scooter itself as well as the 3 vs 4 wheel option? Thanks. Diane

Comment

Any updates?

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering buying a smartscoot, and wanted to see if you still recommend it 2 years after the original thread started. I'm going on a cruise to Alaska at the end of August, and think it might be helpful. I have not had to use mobility aids yet, but the time is fast approaching, and this scooter seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X