Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your body just not react sometimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your body just not react sometimes?

Hi all - Just found this forum from the msworld forum and signed up.

I'm a martial artist - which I think is great for folks with MS, since it regularly trains balance and coordination as well as general fitness.

I've noticed that sometimes when my intention is to pick my leg up for a kick or something similar, there's a lapse where my body just doesn't react. It's like my brain is sending the command, and I know I have the muscle memory, but there's a lapse between the conscious intention and my body reaction.

Which I guess makes a lot of sense, yet it seems really odd.

has anyone else noticed this?

I used to do Tae kwon do, but my legs wouldn't work when I wanted them to...or to what I expected them to. And I found that I didn't have the coordination or balance...I heard Tai chi may be easier because the movements are more fluid, but I have never tried. I found TKD too overwhelming and never got back into it.

But yeah, I have experienced the same type thing.
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

Comment

unfortunately yes..

I've noticed it in my fine motor control sometimes... and usually when I'm trying to actually let go of something. My co-workers have started to think that I'm throwing pens at them!

I asked my NP about it and she says it usually has to do with the worn-off myelin... and that circuit must not be as good as our other ones. My evoked potentials are all still fine in my arms and legs, though, so I only have those goblins attack me every now and then. My NP said to let her know if they become frequent (meaning when it became more than an annoyance) and they'd check my EP's again and maybe discuss options then...

Other than that, I was told it's just another one of those wonderful rides on the mobile coaster they call MS!!

Comment

I too have been accused of throwing pens at people!

Isn't life fun.
        Joy
        fides quaerens intellectum

Comment

Fun, indeed. But I had a good night tonight. Small treasures.

Joy (my Sensei's name is Joy, that's odd) - how long did you train? I think it's easier for me because I've been at it for 7 and a half years now, so a lot of the muscle memory is very well baked, if you will.

Comment

I used to love snowboarding in the trees, but unless the glade is pretty wide open, I don't do it anymore. Of course I tell my body to miss the trees. But it doesn't always want to listen! Even if I speak slowly and use my body's middle name, it stubbornly won't give me the common courtesy of following basic instructions. The gall!
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
            X