Getting Outdoors with MS, Why it Matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Outdoors with MS, Why it Matters

Who here makes an active effort to spend time outdoors? I try to spend as much time as I can in nature—on a bike ride, at an outdoor cafe, or reading on my patio. (If it's hot, I take precautions to avoid overheating.) New research backs up just how important that is. -D

If you’re looking for simple steps to a healthier mind and body, consider taking those steps outdoors. New research finds that people who spend at least two hours a week in a natural environment — like parks, beaches, woodlands or urban green spaces — are more likely to have better physical health and psychological well-being than those who do not venture into the great outdoors. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...d5a_story.html
    Spending at least 120 minutes a week in nature is associated with good health and wellbeing

Mathew P. White, Ian Alcock, James Grellier, Benedict W. Wheeler, Terry Hartig, Sara L. Warber, Angie Bone, Michael H. Depledge & Lora E. Fleming

Scientific Reports volume 9, Article number: 7730 (2019)

Abstract

Spending time in natural environments can benefit health and well-being, but exposure-response relationships are under-researched. We examined associations between recreational nature contact in the last seven days and self-reported health and well-being.

Participants (n = 19,806) were drawn from the Monitor of Engagement with the Natural Environment Survey (2014/15–2015/16); weighted to be nationally representative. Weekly contact was categorised using 60 min blocks. Analyses controlled for residential greenspace and other neighbourhood and individual factors.

Compared to no nature contact last week, the likelihood of reporting good health or high well-being became significantly greater with contact ≥120 mins (e.g. 120–179 mins: ORs [95%CIs]: Health = 1.59 [1.31–1.92]; Well-being = 1.23 [1.08–1.40]). Positive associations peaked between 200–300 mins per week with no further gain.

The pattern was consistent across key groups including older adults and those with long-term health issues. It did not matter how 120 mins of contact a week was achieved (e.g. one long vs. several shorter visits/week).

Prospective longitudinal and intervention studies are a critical next step in developing possible weekly nature exposure guidelines comparable to those for physical activity.

FULL STUDY (FREE):
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-44097-3
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Every chance I get, I take the pooch out to the woods. The further off the beaten path, the better. In the woods i can sit down whenever I want and I don't feel like people are judging me as I stumble back to my truck.

Comment

Working...
    X