Trying to break into wheelchair racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Milestone

Well my son and I just hit our first goal. We did 20 miles this morning. I actualy feel quite well. At about mile 14 I felt like I could go all day, but resisted the urge. Our next goal is 40 miles by the end of the month.

I have about 1/4 of the money for my racing chair and am waiting to hear back on a grant. I am doing everything I can to raise the money. Hopefully they can start building it here soon.

I will keep everyone posted on bowth fronts.

Comment

Well I got some upseting news last night. I got word about my grant aplication. They stated that they probably won't get around to seeing if they can help me untill October. This is disapointing since the track season begins in december and it takes 8 weeks to build and then ship from Austraila. I am going to have to get creative with my fundraising to have a chance to get the funds. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am planing on swimming laps for donations per lap, I am also going to do the same with the handcycle with laps around the local highschool track. I have a few buisness that may alow me to do things for donations in their store.

Comment

Well training has been slow here the last few weeks. I have been batteling some non MS related medication changes. Man does changing meds suck. I am going to try and get out Saturday for a short ride. Hope all goes well. Now that my son is back in scool I am going to start some solo riding, should be interesting.

In brighter news, I have found a bike builder, James owner of Blackswift cycles, who is williing to take up the task of building me a custom handcycle that will fit all the needs I have. This should be a fun project. You can follow the project at http://swiftbicycles.com/handcycle-to-help-ms/ .

Comment

Well training was going good utill I awoke and neiter arm worked some days ago. I have regaind the strength but I just can't feel from elbows down only pins and needles. I am having to do all my typing with two fingers and I have to realy hit the keys or it wont type SOOO SLLLOOOWWWW. I will see how next week goes. I have first handcycling practice on the 18th. I may have to tape my hands to the cranks if I can't feel my grip by then. Hope for the best.

Comment

Did the hands clear up Kevan?

Comment

They have not cleared up yet. I just started a steroid pack today so we will see. I did make it to my first practice today and did 20 miles with some good hills along the way. What a work out. I had to make a plate to keep my left hand from falling down off the crank handle. I need to shave it down in a few places and I think it will be perfect. Next sheadualed practice is in 2 weeks. Looking at 35 miles of mostly flat with one steep hill in the middle. Should be fun.

Comment

Cruiser, Hope you get that under control, we do need to take care of ourselves first, the riding comes second.

I'm going to take some time off myself just as soon as I finish my next ride but I'll be ready for Tucson and hoping to see you there.

Larry

Comment

Well I got some good and bad news. First the good news. I have almost fully regained the use of my hands, WHOO HOO!! Now for the bad. I was starting off at a green light hen I heard a loud bang. I cracked the mounting holes on the back of the chair and the frame began to tear around the grommet. I can still ride just have to do so without the back. May have to get it all welded back together.

Other good news. I met up with my bike builder this past week and production has begun on my custom handcycle. Got alot of unique things in store to make it easier for me to ride.

Comment

Kevan,
                    Just signed up for the Tour de Tucson, a little late I know. I'm an incorrigible procrastinator. I'm planning on the 111 mile course with my daughter. We will meet my sister at the 80 mile course start and ride with her after that. I don't plan on setting any kind of land speed record this year.

Are you still on track?

Larry

Comment

Well I hit another setback. I fell out of my chair the other day. Fortunately my head stopped my fall. I have a severe concusion and am unable to do any training. I still don't have my bike back, going on 6 weeks now. All of this will posibly make the ride not a good idea. I will see what the Dr. sais next week to see if I can train. Hopefully he clears me to ride. Keep up your training and stay active!

Comment

KB,
                        Sorry to hear about the setback, sounds like it might be better to sit out this year. But if you show up at the TDT beer tent, I'd still be happy to share a beer with you. Don't look for me to be there early.
                        Larry

Comment

Well I have made the decision to pull from the race this year. I am not yet cleared to start riding. I have also had a falling out with the orginization that I was renting my cycle from. If all goes well I will be there next year. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to ride for myself and my happyness and not for others!

That being said, here is a little update. The custom cycle that I am having built is progressing. The full scale drawing /patern is complete. I saw this thing and it takes up alot of paper, HAHA! The frame tubes are in. All that is left to do is begin modifying all of the lugs that connect the tubes. This will be the most complicated part to get the angles correct. I will keep you update on this.

On the racing wheelchair front, I am awaiting a grant that should be reviewed soon. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for me (and your toes if possible) If they can at least cover half of it I can get it built and shipped to me and then I can pay off of the rest over time. I am acualy going to start selling them for the company.

Well I hope evreyone gets out there in one form or another and STAY ACTIVE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X