Redcord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redcord

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but thought I would share my experience...

I started physical therapy a few months ago after my walking started declining last year. I still don't use any walking aids, but get fatigued fairly quickly and have general balance issues and occasional foot drop. My PT is a bit non-traditional and she introduced me to redcord and I have grown to love it. It is pretty simple - just two adjustable ropes and a few slings but it allows you to do a bunch of different exercises that are designed for a neuromuscular workout - working out your nervous and muscular systems. It seems to provide me a good "bang for the buck" as my workouts a fairly non-strenuous and only last 15-20 min.

I ended up buying a home unit and over the past couple of weeks (after becoming more consistent with my workouts) I am starting to notice a difference - improved balance and fatigue - yeah!

It is a little pricey for what you get (around $300 for two ropes and a few slings), but I must say I like it so far. I am happy to share more if there is any interest, but thought I would post this in case there is.

Hi there,

This looks really interesting. I'm particularly interested in the nervous system workout. Can you describe some of the exercises?

Thank you for posting.

Teena Marie

Comment

Agree with Teena Marie, more info would be great, PF. Thanks!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Here are a couple of links with more info:

An overview of what redcord is can be found here:http://www.redcord.com/ArticleFull_2...m=97&amid=9075 - see the download pdf link towards the bottom

Here is more detail on the exercises (direct pdf download: http://www.redcord.com/Redcord_exerc...sqfIM.pdf.file

And here is a list of the exercises I am currently doing. I am mostly working on my core as my PT thinks it will help most with my gait issues. We add an exercise every month or so.
        • Standing Shoulder Extension - 4 x 30 sec.
        • Standing Shoulder Extension - 4 x put one hand on side of head, return to original, then repeat with other hand (we call this the Fonzie )
        • Supine Bridging - With one foot in a strap, lift the other foot along with the butt and hold for 10 sec. - repeat 4x then do the same with the other foot
        • Supine Bridging - with one foot in the strap, lift foot and butt (just like the last exercise, but lift and return to the ground - kind of like a backwards situp) 4x - repeat 4x for each leg
        • Supine Bridging - 1 fot in strap, lift other foot and butt and extend other foot to the right (or left depending on the foot) 4x - repeat 4x for each leg

If it is hard to visualize, there are a few videos on their website here: http://www.redcord.com/Video.aspx?m=329

You can really vary the difficulty of the exercise depending on your comfort level. I am happy to discuss more if you have any questions.

Comment

BTW - I live in SoCal (Orange County) if anyone wants the name of my PT. I think she is awesome - we do a little pilates, redcord and she also does visceral (craniosacral) therapy.

In case you are wondering, I have had MS for over 10 years and have been on Avonex since I was diagnosed - although I am strongly considering a switch to Tecfidera (a much longer conversation, of course). I get through most of the day without any assistance (read walking aid), but there are certainly times where I feel as if I am walking like Frankenstein. I am trying everything to slow this @#%$ disease down - diet, meditation, exercise, and DMDs.
          Last edited by pushingForward; 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X