No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do have to say that Veronica's suggestion of a ride w/o a time limit would totally work. As Steven Wright once said, everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time!

Working on balance and glute exercises mixed in with cardio/strength/stretching. Trying to be patient and holding my stretches longer per Herb's recommendations. Tricky when time is tight!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Larry, I also am thrilled to hear this news! Can't wait to hear the details once you get started with her! WooHoo!
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

The New PT Squared

Saw my new physical therapist come personal trainer twice this week. The first time I went right after doing some hill intervals with the hot blond yoga chick - where, in the future, I will be demanding between a one and five second handicap for every year of difference in our age. Fortunately there was still quite a lot of endorphin residual running around my body and I didn't do too badly with the five or six Theraband exercises around the ankles the PT squared had me do. I was a little less successful with the balance ball exercises for the glutes, quads, hams stomach and back and, when it came to stretching everything out at the end, one of my hip flexor muscles totally let go and I ended up in an indecorous heap on the floor. NO other pt or neuro has ever seen me like that.

The second time was after a short easy ride after which, for whatever reason, I was feeling particularly fatigued. She had me doing floor exercises primarily for the low back and hip flexors where she found some small muscles I'm sure I haven't used at all in the last 10 years. At one point she commented that I was particularly skilled at compensating for those weak muscles and I really needed to stop doing that so much. At any rate, after about 10 floor exercises, several of them yoga posses that I have never been very successful at, we called it quits. We decided that the next two visits should be scheduled for days I don't ride.

One thing for sure, no neurologist or physical therapist I have seen in my 17 years post Dx has ever explored my particular weaknesses like this woman did. If I can ever get any of the weak muscles she found working again, there may be hope of, if not walking well, at least walking better than I do now. This could turn out to be one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

On the exercise front, I rode 3 times last week for about 60 miles, did weight training once, core exercises once, yoga twice and pt twice, it was all quite enough for one week. If I can get someone to go with me I might try a little extended climbing on the bike tomorrow.

Hang in there,
        Larry

Comment

Well, Larry ...Such great news! Sure sounds like you found yourself a "Keeper" in your new PT......isn't it such a great feeling when there is hope to be able to move a muscle or two that has been asleep at the wheel for too long? Exciting, and I'm happy for you... You and your "Girls" are rockin' it....

This is Part One of my visit with Herb yesterday. We attacked my difficulties with the side plank. He was initially (for less than a minute!) baffled by the lack of connection between my lower and upper body on the right....went off and came back with some padding that was several inches high, and shoved it in the area between the mat and my right bottom rib cage and upper hip. He said, "Try it now" and I could tell even before attempting it, that this would work.....I could get into full side plank WITHOUT having to have my foot against anything. Shocking to me, but so exhilarating. I did this several more times to get the muscle memory of how I need to do this, and my only challenge now is finding the proper materials to duplicate this at home. Needs to be sturdy enough to not just collapse, but not too rigid/high. I'm working on getting the right prop....SO happy.... By just finding a way to get the connection activated, I can now finally work these muscles.... I have other good things to report, but have to dash right now for the weekend. Have a good one everyone!

Comment

Hi all,

Such good news on the physio front. I am also getting good results with my new physio, now twice a week. Standing balance with weight shift, sitting balance on a wobbly surface hitting balloons or resisting against a theraband side to side or backwards,hand exercises,sit to stand, walking with no sticks. I'm exhausted after.
            Larry, you are right. I'm sure a big ride before your sessions is a bit much. I have a brief swim to get limbered up before and save the big swims for the other days.
            Veronica, you're so right. So joyful having muscles waking up.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I found this site last year sometime, and I haven't visited for a while. I started running last summer ( ok, it's actually more of a slow jog), and I did my first 5k last year. This year, I am hoping to run a 10k in May, and if all goes well, I want to try a half marathon in November. I have always detested running until recently, but I feel like the more I run, the more I conquer my MS.
              I also took up cycling last year and participated in a bike MS event on my hybrid. I was able to go 56 miles the first day, and did 27 the second! I just treated myself to a new road bike that is quite a bit lighter, so I am hoping to go at least 75 miles the first day this year. If training goes well, I might try for 100. The bike MS event is is June, so I need this snow to clear and the weather to warm up just a bit so I can start riding!
              It's been great reading about everything you all are doing, and it helped to motivate me to get moving when I read some of the posts last year. So thanks to all of you!

Comment

Hi Steph,

Welcome. Amazing accomplishments. It's always great hearing about others' training so feel free to fill us in.

Take good care,

Teena Marie

Comment

Welcome Steph! Wow, you sound like a strong rider, with some very wonderful goals for this year. As Teena Marie suggested, please keep us informed on your training. The more I read of everyone elses's training, the more motivated I am to keep to mine.

Dave, I agree with your comment of how time consuming the stretching can be. I tend to not stretch throughout the day much, and keep these exercises to do in the evening when calming down from the day, and in front of the TV. Has gotten to be such a routine for me....When I have been an overnight guest at friends' homes, I occasionally will let them know they can just ignore me as I sit somewhere and stretch. Honestly, I don't always do this as a guest, just with my closest friends! And not in the middle of a dinner party!

I have an interesting new exercise that Herb gave me last week as a result of my having a fall. I was walking, with my cane, down a hallway at work, and someone who I have not seen in awhile walked by me and we spoke. I turned my head just a little past my comfort zone to continue the conversation, somehow tripped and down I went. Didn't hurt anything but my pride. But in discussing this with Herb, he recognized that I need some specific balance exercises to help me be able to look more to my right and left as I walk. Right now, when walking with others, it is just Eyes Forward for me. So the exercise is standing with one foot 6-12 inches in front of the other ( as if in a stride) and do long slow side to side head turns,( I'm going for about 15 per set) and switch feet. It would be so nice if this helps. Teena Marie, sounds like you are also real happy with the new PT, who sounds right on target with the exercises. Reading your regime, I can see why you would be exhausted!

Yay team!

Comment

Training for century

I know there are quite a few cyclists on this site. Does anyone have a good training plan for building up to a century? My normal ride is about 20 miles. The most I've done is 56. I have until mid June to train once the weather clears I do much better with a plan and structure, and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for so far.

Thanks in advance,

Steph

Comment

Hey Steph, welcome aboard, I'd love to train for the century option on the MS 150 with you this year, I think it'll be a ton of fun. Here are a bunch of free training plans courtesy of Joe Friel, one of the premier training groups around. Check out the website and select the program you're interested in. They're free to MS 150 participants. I've used these before and I've got to say, there's something about getting an e-mail telling you what to do and just blindly doing it, no thinking involved. It's pretty close to having a personal trainer. Here's the link, let me know what you think. Also, if you message me with an e-mail address, I can send you a bunch of spreadsheets to work off of.
                      http://home.trainingpeaks.com/produc...training-plans
                      Steph, I also think you're really smart to run.

I think we're all a little under the weather right now (ha ha, that was supposed to be a joke) but things should be changing soon so to get ready I'm doing intervals on a spin bike or outside if I can, twice a week only an hour or so. Also trying to get in an easy spin session but not always successful. The intervals are the most important thing anyway. I'm keeping up with my weight training and core exercises (between snow storms) and yoga and physical therapy, twice a week each. It's the busiest exercise schedule I've had in years and I'm not complaining.

TM, I am so happy I finally found a trainer. Just finished my third week and some of those weak muscles are beginning to respond. It's making me even more uncoordinated than usual but I think it's kind of a neuro-musclular learning process. Glad you're happy with yours TM. I don't have great expectations here but if I can get back a little of what I've lost I'll be ecstatic.

V and Dave, I also stretch when I can throughout the day, Dave's right, it takes too much time to do all at once and it might even be better to stretch it out. I'm also doing a lot of ankle and hip flexor exercises throughout the day as opportunity presents, don't know if it's helping anything but pretty sure it's not hurting.

I'm as convinced as ever that we're doing the right thing. I've been seeing quite a few articles on the benefits of exercise, especially interval work, for people with autoimmune diseases. Keep up those intervals!

Larry

Comment

Steph, welcome! So great to meet you. For those wondering, I'm now up to two stretching sessions per day, and shooting for three. Trying to keep spasticity at bay!

And AMF is right, at this point the evidence that exercise helps is overwhelming. But like losing weight, the trick now may be in motivation. People know exercise helps, but don't make it a focus. All of these posts, though, serve as motivation. Can't thank you all enough!
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Keeping with the same schedule of yoga twice a week, pt twice a week, alternating weights and core three times a week and spinning or walking as I'm able - and doing a lot of snow removal too. I'm finding that it is usually possible to do more than one thing per day if each activity involves different muscle groups, either upper body, core or trunk and legs. It seems to be working well although there are times I'm pretty wiped out by late afternoon.

Went for a walk before yoga the other day, wanted to see if my pt was paying off yet. The first 20 minutes went very well, good heel toe coordination, knee lift, not much foot drop and decent balance using a single pole. It all fell apart over the next 10 minutes but I wasn't particularly fresh when I started either and it was still enough to see quite positive results from the pt.

Didn't even come close to making my February goal of 8 hours per week on the bike, just too much snow. I'm a little worried now that the shortened training season is going to make this a particularly tough year for the bike.

Hope everyone is hanging in there,
                          Larry

Comment

One thing after another seems to knocking me back (sickness, work, a surprise move, horrid weather) and I am concerned that bike MS is only about 3 months away and I haven't been in the trainer in over 2 weeks. usually when I am inactive (does packing, assembling and unpacking count?) I have to start small and build back up. But this will be the third time *THIS YEAR* for that. I am feeling immensely frustrated and pretty depressed about that. But coming here always makes me feel motivated. I tell myself that it looks warmer (by that I mean 40 and not snowing/sleeting) and I can get outside and begin walking again. I hope work calms down - month close used to be 3 days of nightmare work, but thanks to some stupid decisions on corporate's part now I am forced to work 8 days 11 hour + days to get every done and the weekend as well, so please hope for me that this month is better.

Sorry for the ramble!!

Comment

Hello

Hello, I am new here. I am a runner and am training RockNRoll Marathon which is in 2 weeks. My training has been going well. I signed up for Bike MS 100 mile challenge. I have not been on my bike in since last May.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                                One thing after another seems to knocking me back (sickness, work, a surprise move, horrid weather) and I am concerned that bike MS is only about 3 months away and I haven't been in the trainer in over 2 weeks. usually when I am inactive (does packing, assembling and unpacking count?) I have to start small and build back up. But this will be the third time *THIS YEAR* for that. I am feeling immensely frustrated and pretty depressed about that. But coming here always makes me feel motivated. I tell myself that it looks warmer (by that I mean 40 and not snowing/sleeting) and I can get outside and begin walking again. I hope work calms down - month close used to be 3 days of nightmare work, but thanks to some stupid decisions on corporate's part now I am forced to work 8 days 11 hour + days to get every done and the weekend as well, so please hope for me that this month is better.

Sorry for the ramble!!
                                Oh Marina....Glad you vented here. While of course I haven't had the same scenario as you, I can appreciate the frustrations of starting over again. Yeah, it is small steps and progress seems minimal to zilch at times, and having to re-start does really stink. But I'll be your cheerleader here....you KNOW you can get back to the routine....less than before, but you are back building it up... Just start it up, whatever, and keep to ONE part of your routine just to get yourself enough of a kick in the butt to feel good about the exercise again. This winter has been so rough on us all for getting out to walk....snow can be pretty to look at , but not very motivating to get out in it if not doing snow sports.... If it is any consolation, aren't you glad the Sickness, Move, Work didn't come in the beautiful Spring? ( Sorry, I am the Mother of Optimism...) You probably have more reserve in you than it appears at first..... Just gotta wake it up. I'm cheering for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X