Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here

Hi Active MSers!

I'm a newbie here - just joined the forum.

I was diagnosed last year. I'm a long-distance runner, and I've had a few ups and downs with it since my DX, but I am currently training for the Chicago Marathon this October. Running for the NMSS, fundraising. This race has been on my bucket list for 8 years!

I was a member of a FB forum of MSers who follow the Swank Diet/Overcoming MS, but I left it today. Most of the people there are basically anti-exercise. They frown on anything other than walking or gentle yoga. My experience so far is that I feel SO much better when I'm regularly sweating. So, here I am. Very impressed with all of you! Hoping to stay healthy and strong.

Comment

• Hello,

I agree with the previous comments. Although I teach Pilates and think this is wonderful activity for MS, I also like to push myself. I'm hoping in 2 days time on World MS Day to cycle up Mont Ventoux in the French Alps, in aid of Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis.
      Will keep you posted.

Comment

• Canadienne, good luck with your Training, sounds like this isn't your first marathon. Hope you'll let us know how things are going.

Veronica, waiting with baited breath to hear how all of the trike dealings go. You deserve a ride you're happy with. The Bullet was complaining about how expensive cycling is too but we both agreed it's worth it, the least it will be if we ever get any decent weather.

PilatesSara, I gotta hear the blow by blow on Ventoux. What bike are you riding up that hill? Is there a story there.

I got a whopping 5 hours and 50 miles in last week, took advantage of every lull in the nearly constant rain we've been enjoying for the past month here. Now of course i'm sick with a chest cold. I'm definitely heading for gross under training going into the MS 150 end of June. This is on track to be my worst training year ever. Bummer but I'm not worried yet.

Later, Larry

Comment

• Welcome Canadienne29 and hello PilatesSarah. I agree with you guys. Gentle exercises and focusing on breathing and relaxing is a VERY good this for those with MS (I need to do this more) and it forces you to focus on stretching. But there is nothing like getting your heart rate up and pumping and breaking a sweat. I figure as long as I can I should, kinda a use it or lose it thing. And I dont want to keep losing things.

Thank you for the reassurance Larry and Veronica. My plan is do BikeMS "the Cheasapeake Challenge" on the Eastern Shore of MD. I picked the 69 mile route. There is a ferry ride after the lunch stop so that is a first for me!! But I will stay off of google!

And Veronica - I am thrilled to hear that you are getting a 700! Now we will really be bike twins

Comment

• Larry and Marina-- it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who has been under training on my bike! Between weather, work, and my younger daughter's upcoming high school graduation this weekend, I have basically scrapped my training plan. I'm just trying to get 2 decent rides in per week. I did ride 40 miles last Saturday and this past Sunday. However, I did have a bit of a fall on some gravel last Saturday. Luckily only cuts and bruises-- nothing that kept me from finishing the ride. But, I think I'm going to have to change my route to the 65 miles on Saturday 6/13 instead of the 100 that I really wanted to do. I just don't think there is any way I will be ready for that distance in less than 3 weeks! My husband ( who will ride with me) is actually quite pleased to hear this!!

Canadienne-- I have run marathons in my dreams, and I think that's the only place it will happen! Kudos to you!

Cyn-- I'd love to be able to join you in Disney. It sounds like so much fun! I recently ran my first 10K ever and found it hard but worth it!

Veronica-- Good luck with the new trike! I hope it works out well for you!

Comment

• Hi all: Short but sweet post.....Got this today from a good friend of mine who understands how I feel about cycling. He has been with me on BikeMS rides...knows well my struggle to find wheels that work, and my obsession to ride . This is for all the cyclists out there.... Keep riding, whatever it takes if you can relate to even one line in this..... I am craving the day I get the new trike to be "back in the saddle [aka Seat...] again. Keep rollin' and movin' everyone!

http://pages.rapha.cc/uncategorised/...lly-ritterbeck
              Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Hi guys- haven't posted but I've been busy! Good news- I've done two full length yoga classes at my gym, which kicked my ass but was amazing. It seems to actually help my function. I feel like yoga reveals all- my body can't hide anything in those classes. I have also started ballroom dancing again with my partner. Can't salsa, but trying some cha in partnership. I don't look as sharp as usual, but I'm so grateful. I got my SideStix and I shall try some hiking next week. I'm invited back to my dance company rehearsals, but out of partnership I will have to use a crutch; the only thing stopping me here is actually embarrassment. My dance buddies are trying to be supportive but have this freaked out stare at my crutch like it's a sad, contagious puppy with leprosy. I think the forearm crutch just looks so permanent. I am also in tremendous physical discomfort. I tapered off two months of steroids last week and was quite ill, and now I'm dealing with a lot of muscle spasm/ pain. Just started baclofen, which is helping. I'm making sure to keep my rest days, but I'm still getting in 4-5 days of exercise per week and stretching every day. It is so weird that I can dance better than I walk. I understand the physics of it as ballroom doesn't require much quad or glut strength, but it is bizarre. You guys are so inspiring!!

Comment

• Hi,
                  So I did it on Wednesday (World MS day)! Cycled up Mont Ventoux with ever supportive husband David and my friend/coach Marion and her partner Philippe.
                  We had a beautiful day and I still can't believe I did it.
                  I'd had a few set backs during my preparation but on the day everything fell into place. I've got quite a few photos of the day but not sure how best to share these and a bit more about the day.
                  Reading about other peoples' stories inspired me, I'd like to do the same.
                  Sarah

Comment

• Congratulations Sarah, somehow I envision that it was every bit as difficult as you ever thought it might be. Nice job. You can post your story with a couple of pictures here if it's not too long or you could write it up and send it to Dave and see if he'll put it in the "Your Stories" section. I think the ascent of Mont Ventoux would be a worthy story.

Comment

• Thanks Larry, perhaps I'll do that, and to reassure Marina, I was really ill 2 weeks before the Ventoux ride as a result of moving up to the full dose of techfidera and had to take a week off training completely. I did a couple of easyish rides 2 days & 4 days before the event, and thankfully all the earlier preparation I'd done paid off. Shame we don't have Bike MS rides here in France, I bet the atmosphere is amazing.

Comment

• Running Coach

hello fellow active's. I am looking for a running coach familiar with MS. Anyone out there?

I was in a rush when I first typed this, I'm sorry, let me try again.

Hello Fellow Active's. I recently found this site and forum group. Based on the posts I've already read for 2015 I feel like I'm in the right company for the type of people I have been seeking. I'm not sure I'm in the correct forum group though. I am a runner, yoga, PiYo MS'r, I don't bike. So point me in the right direction if need be.

I was diagnosed in 2006, and after a lot of trial and error, I think I am understanding how I need to control this. Right now I am training for my second half marathon. I feel strong and confident about the race on June 13th, and have definitely a second one in November at Disney for a local charity fundraiser. (The group members have other races that I am thinking of signing up for - am I crazy? ) I found a great group of woman to run with several times a week, so this will keep me in check to get out there and go. But I would like to be at my "old" pace, so I am looking for a running coach.

Right now my schedule is as follows, I am following the Novice 2 Hal Higdon plan modified for me:
                        Sunday - Runners World Yoga, foam roller and meditation
                        Monday - AM: PiYo Core PM: RW Yoga (if time allows)
                        Tuesday - AM: PiYo PM: 3-4miles tempo with group or track speed work offered by local road runner group
                        Wednesday- AM: PiYo PM: 5 miles with group or at 70% recovery pace alone
                        Thursday - AM: PiYo PM: 70% recovery run 3-4 miles (with a second group LOL)
                        Friday - AM: PiYo core PM: RW Yoga (if time allows)
                        Saturday - Long run at race pace plan of 12:30. This has been a gradual increase of mileage over the last 10 weeks. this past Saturday 5/30 mileage was 13.44 in bad heat

I do get overheated and am interested in a cooling vest - just need to call the dr to try and get a Rx.
                        My MS symptoms have ranged from left side numbness, spasticity, migraines and cognitive issues, but I must say that since I started the training this year I have had minimal issues, thank the lord to be blessed!

I look forward to being a part of this group and hope I can learn from you all.
                        Thanks for reading my post and hopefully someone is out there for me,
                        Marisol (MB)
                        Last edited by MSRunner26; 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Running & biking

Hello my sweaty friends!

Sarah - Nice one! And the perfect day for it! Maybe write a little blog article about it, as Larry suggests? With pics? I would love to see!

Steph - you get back on that velocipede! Show it who is boss & just keep pedalling.

Veronica - you too. Keep on rollin'. Loving it.

npavlato - I love your descriptions! Would the quickest way to get over the embarrassment of your 'sad puppy' be to keep taking him out in public? Maybe he needs socializing?!

Cyn & MSRunner26 - maybe we can benefit from Canadienne29's experience, here? Canadienne, do you have a coach or personal trainer? With MS experience? Are they part of a network of professionals who may be dotted around the country/globe? I am also looking for an expert here in the UK to help me with my running. I fear they may be few & far between...?

I have given my tendons a few weeks rest, and now I am back in my running shoes & my bikes shoes on the odd occasion. Last Sunday my other half & I did 20 miles mountain biking (not too technical), and I managed 18 miles running over the course of the week.

I have discovered the 'run commute'. It appears to be a more gentle way of increasing my weekly mileage without eating in to my evening time at home. It's 1.3 miles to the station, a quick 20 minutes train journey, then 3 miles to work via woodland & farmland trails. Then the same route in reverse on the way home. I've only done it once so far, but it went without a hitch....unless you consider getting lost twice & forgetting your trousers (sorry...pants) as a hitch.

Keep a'movin' peoples!!

Comment

• Well my BikeMS event was this weekend.

I am so happy with how it went 100 miles on Saturday and 50 miles on Sunday! Yay.

Steph - I think I PMed you but not sure I did it right. My husband is riding in the Ride the Vine ride on Saturday, I would love to meet you

Comment

• MARINA!!! Yahoo! I am jumping for joy for you! Been thinking about you for days and actually just came on here this am to see if you posted..... so this is a short post....and just for you... You are my Catrike 700 superhero. This is the best news that I will hear all day today for sure.

Congrats Rock Star!
                              Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Congratulations Marina, sounds like you nailed it. The century on a trike - I love it! I'm sure that wasn't easy since it's been such a tough training year for all of us.

Veronica, love the Rapha post, I keep going back to read it. Like I said, it's a tough training year and it helps to remember some of the reasons we ride, besides for the MS.

Glad to hear you got your tendons back Mouse. Nice job giving it time to recover and persevering.

I got 150 miles in last week. It included a 77 mile ride with the Bullet. When we're stopped like for food or water or finished with the ride those girls will do just about anything for me. But when we're on the bike they are MERCILESS. We did that 77 mile ride in 6 hours even, about an hour and a half faster than I would have liked and the Bullet still had to wait on me at the top of every hill. Not too sure about my training yet as I had nothing much in in the tank for the ride the next day.

Hang in there guys,

Comment

Working...
                                X