Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFO orthotic for long distance running with drop foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFO orthotic for long distance running with drop foot?

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any experience of using an external orthotic for drop foot for long distance running?

I'm currently marathon training, and I'm starting to experience drop foot on the left side after a few miles. I think it is probably triggered by electrolyte imbalance, but it means that I trip up and have to slow down or walk.

I've been researching online for an external orthotic (outside the shoe) and have seen the Foot-Up by Ossur, and the Boxia ankle brace, but they don't look very strong to me. Has anybody tried them?

I also enquired about the Turbomed FS3000 from the guy who runs the company, but at $850 it is way out of my budget. (It does look way cool, though!)

Does anybody have any advice and experience, please?

Thanks.

I used the foot up for quite some time early on in the progression of the disease. If you are able to run I think this might do the trick for you. It gives just a bit of help and it sounds like that is all you need. It is not uncomfortable. It is not a very big investment either! Good luck

Comment

I am a hiker and just started using the Ossur Foot-Up while training on my treadmill. It helps but it doesn't totally eliminate the foot drop, especially as my distance increases. My biggest problem with the device is that it slips down my lower leg, below my ankle bone, so that the angle at which the elastic strap connects from my foot to my leg is quite low. The lower the angle, the less the lift. I think if you have prominent ankle bones (those knobby bones that stick out on the sides), the leg cuff should ride over them and maintain a good angle for foot support. It's inexpensive enough to give it a try if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info folks!
        I have a long run with the MS Trust marathon team planned for next weekend. Hopefully my brace will arrive in time.

Comment

Hi all!
          I am not good at posting or keeping up with things but your posts did catch my eye as I use the Matrix Dynamic AFO for running. It works well enough. The problem that I am having is that I seem to be losing movement in my entire leg the longer I run. It totally stiffens up. I am training to run the Pittsburgh half marathon and start tripping even with the AFO around mile 6-7. Does anyone have similar issues and any advice?

Comment

Hi Running funny,

Yep, I have the same issue. It starts with foot drop, then spreads to the whole leg after a few miles. I have to stop, massage, stamp, and slap myself about a bit. Embarrassing when with others!

Do you take electrolytes before you head out? I found that staves off the cramps & floppiness for a while, and then I have to keep them topped up as I go. It doesn't stop it completely, though.

Comment

Working...
            X