Bike MS 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike MS 2012

There’s so much to catch up on as the new season begins, the medical bike fit, the new bike, this year’s event schedule, and putting together the corresponding training schedule (there’s some really good training stuff available to Bike MS participants out there). But right now Mother Nature is sending out an invitation to drop everything and get out and ride. Temperatures are predicted to approach the 70’s by the end of the week, a rare January event and an irresistible temptation. So for now, Happy New Year everyone, AMF has gone riding.

The ride continues,
    Larry

Resting and recovering?

I thought you were resting??? It is hard to resist decent weather at this time of year.
    We are having way too much wind for me. I can't ride in 30mph gusts.
    I am doing an 8 week- 3 day a week- winter spinning class sponsored by the BCC. It sounds pretty intense- lactate threshold determination, etc.

Pell

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
      I thought you were resting??? It is hard to resist decent weather at this time of year.
      We are having way too much wind for me. I can't ride in 30mph gusts.
      I am doing an 8 week- 3 day a week- winter spinning class sponsored by the BCC. It sounds pretty intense- lactate threshold determination, etc.
      Pell

I did take 6 weeks off the bike. Did eliptical and weight work a couple of times per week trying to maintain fitness. But now it's a new year, I got a new bike, a new bike fit and the weather has been incredible so obviously, it's time to get started again.

I thought my plan from last year was good but I'm going to include more climbing workouts and try to keep up the weight training and elliptical a little longer this year. I've already registered for a couple of MS 150's and the Triple Bypass and even if I don't get selected for the Triple, I'm going to train for it.

Got 3 hours and 45 miles with 1600 ft of ascent in so far this week. Shooting for 6 hours per week by the end of January, 8 by the end of February. We haven't had much snow yet but if it does come, I'll be on the spin cycle with you and Marina.

Feeling a need to climb something,
      Larry

Comment

If you guys want a break from all of those mountains, you should come ride with me at the MS150 in Dallas.

Day one is a whopping 889ft gain. Plus you can harass me if I complain about the "hills" on the course.

Jim

Comment

We signed up for Bike MS 2012...I signed up for the 100 mile route. They've moved it from the hill course of death to a much flatter and more accessible route so I am really hoping.

I sort of can't wait to get back on the bike. We've been spinning 4X a week for a few months and I really hope it has made a difference.

Comment

Made it into the Triple Bypass for the 2nd day reverse route which is still 120 miles. The bad news is that the west to east route has 400 extra feet of ascent for a total of about 10,400 ft. The good news is that the wind usually blows west to east so there is a chance we'll get a push. Looks like climbing, climbing and more climbing in store. Oh Boy, I Can’t Wait!

Jim, I'm sure I will get back to Dallas for a MS ride someday. However, there is a little voice in my head that keeps telling me that there will never be a better time to try to do the climbs than the present. So, with any luck, it'll be a while before I opt for the less hilly courses. But if you keep doing the ride, I will undoubtedly get there one day. Meanwhile, you'd always be welcome up here.

Marina, you are soooooo well on your way! I'm thinking we'll all be very pleasantly surprised at how well you do this year. Enjoy the ride Marina, one of these days those “hills of death” won’t be so bad, you’ll see. Let's also make a pact, no more crashes, it's just too hard on the bod.

I noticed a link on the Bike MS web sites under training for "Training Peaks" and actually, signed up for it last year. Joe Friel, one of the foremost endurance trainers in the field, runs that training program. Especially if you're new to Bike MS but even if you're experienced, this is an excellent program. I found it particularly nice to have someone tell me exactly what I should be doing each day, even if it was only via a daily e-mail. There was just something about being told what to do and just blindly doing it that was much easier than trying to figure things out for myself each training day. If you're doing one of these rides, you owe it to yourself to check it out and besides, it's free!

Oh yea, and for my training this week, a little elliptical, a little weight training but mostly, I just shoveled snow

Larry

Comment

Triple Bypass

Larry- We may be in Colorado during the Triple bypass. We are considering going to the Keystone area for a week of cycling right after the 4th of July.
              My spinning training program starts tomorrow at 7am at one of the local YMCAs. It is good that I signed up for something as I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything except eat.

Pell

Comment

Larry,

Glad to hear you got a spot. Sounds like a great ride. Can't wait to hear from you about how the ride goes!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
                  Larry- We may be in Colorado during the Triple bypass. We are considering going to the Keystone area for a week of cycling right after the 4th of July.
                  My spinning training program starts tomorrow at 7am at one of the local YMCAs. It is good that I signed up for something as I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything except eat.

Pell
                  Pell, That should be good timing, the Triple is the 15th so from about the 8th on, I’ll taper with a few moderate intensity rides and as much time as possible at altitude. If you like, you guys could join us for the Loveland Pass leg of the Triple, more if you want!
                  The MS 150 is June 30 - July 1, if you come a few days earlier we could do that together. We’ve got plenty of room at the house and, as an added plus, accommodations come complete with a lap cat!
                  Eating is good, how did the spin class go?

Jim, ever give any thought to the Triple or Ride the Rockies? I’m thinking about RTR next year, either one should be good Iron Man training.

Got a good ride in yesterday, 32 miles in 2:20 including 1,400 ft. of climbing over rolling hills and just enough wind to keep things challenging.

Larry

Comment

1/20/2012

Fabulous week here, the weather's been incredible. Managed 4.5 hours outside and expect to get another 1.5 Saturday. That will make my January goal.

I've been happy with how quickly conditioning has returned after the holidays. Also believe training with heavy weights is helping. Been pushing heavier weights than I have in a decade, stuff I didn't think I'd ever do again. Very surprised at what I've been able to work up to and surprised at how it seems to be helping my cycling.

Hope everyone is doing well.

The ride continues,
                    Larry

Comment

Training Log 1/26/12

The unseasonably gorgeous weather continues here interspersed with only an occasional dusting of snow. Hit the weight room exceptionally hard on Sun. As expected, was very sore on Monday. Thought I could ride it off by doing a couple of hours outside but couldn't get my heart rate up and only managed 25 miles in 1:45, still, definitely did feel better until later that evening anyway. No choice except to do nothing on Tuesday. Went out Wed. for an easy hour or so but the winds were up so ended with 20 mi. in 1:30 at a higher intensity than intended. Temps should approach 60 this afternoon so will have to get back out there, then finish the week off with another easy hour or two Friday and/or Saturday.

I’ll end the week with at least 6 hours. Next week is a rest week and I WILL take all 7 days with only 3 or 4 hours of very easy spinning and some light weight work. It could be a mistake to end the training period this exhausted this early in the season. I guess I’ll find out when I start the next one in February. My goal is to begin the serious climbing in early March.

Any recommendations for a good athletic endurance training diet book out there?

Looking forward to a pause,
                      Larry

Comment

So - I am working on the realization that my bike might not be a good fit for me. I have been thinking it was just me and my MS weirdness/lack of conidence, but I think my bike may be too large for me.

I was looking at this one - http://spokesetc.com/product/12speci...t-122923-1.htm but I dont know if a new bike is right for me or if its just me being freaked out by biking and needing to just deal with my bike. I am the kind of person that keeps things for awhile so I am really not sure what to do. Is a women's fit bike all that important?

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                          So - I am working on the realization that my bike might not be a good fit for me. I have been thinking it was just me and my MS weirdness/lack of conidence, but I think my bike may be too large for me.

I was looking at this one - http://spokesetc.com/product/12speci...t-122923-1.htm but I dont know if a new bike is right for me or if its just me being freaked out by biking and needing to just deal with my bike. I am the kind of person that keeps things for awhile so I am really not sure what to do. Is a women's fit bike all that important?
                          Marina,
                          I did just spent six months going through the whole Bike Fit/New Bike experience, so for whatever it’s worth, here’s my assessment. I tried writing this up before but it got way too long so believe it or not, this is an abbreviated version.

I did a 3D medical bike fit evaluation using my old bike. The bike fit part was worth it, the 3D medical part, not so much. Anyway, I came away in a more comfortable relaxed position. The maximum difference in any measurement was 2.5 centimeters, quite a bit really, but most measurement changes were within a centimeter. Cumulatively the changes did make a noticeable difference though. I walked out with a piece of paper citing specific measurements for seat height, seat fore/aft position, reach, handlebar height, and various cleat settings, and also recommendations for a specific type and size of saddle and handlebars. I didn’t change the saddle or handlebars on my old bike but I did get a new stem, which brought everything else into spec. This bike fitting guide could probably get you close but I highly recommend getting the professional fit. http://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/

Armed with my measurements and a general idea of the kind of cycling I do (long rides with lots of climbing frequently on rough roads) I started looking at bikes. I looked at the Roubaix, the brother to the Ruby you’re looking at. It was an exceptionally comfortable bike but it soon became apparent that many of the carbon fiber bikes were comfortable enough, so I started looking a little more at weight, acceleration and climbing ability. I ended up with a Cervelo R5 that I got at an irresistible price, thanks in large part to my daughter. Although it’s more bike than I am rider, it is the perfect old guys bike. It is very light weight, sports all day comfort and is a renowned climber. I also like the Sram components. With a little modification, you can achieve lower gearing on Sram’s compaq double than you can get on a Shimano triple.

Relative to men, women tend to have a shorter torso, a shorter reach, less shoulder width, wider hips and longer legs. Depending how you compare to that, a women’s specific bike could be a good choice.

I would imagine you will be able to modify your existing bike to fit better for very little money, meanwhile I’d try a bunch of different bikes to see if I could find one that really stands out. I think you’ll be amazed at the differences. Also the price for a bike fit at the bike shop you posted above looks to be very reasonable.

Larry

Comment

Thanks for all advice Larry, that was very helpful!

So first, I did try to get my current bike to fit me better. But it is a 56cm and I need a 51, and it just proved insurmountable, which stinks because its only a year old and I have updated a lot of things on it. Steve actually might use it (it is more his size then mine, which surprised me, as I am 5'5 and he is 6 feet!) and set it up as a tri bike....so for now it lives on in my house.

So, I visited several shops with a variety of brands (Jamis, specialized, trek cannondale are the ones I tried) and rode several bikes. I found out a few things...

1. There is such a thing as "too light" to me.
                            2. I like the SRAM shifting a lot.
                            3. I REALLY like a lower step over height.
                            4. The girls bikes come with narrower handle bars that really make me feel in control.

After riding everything, going home and reading reviews, thinking about my riding needs and style, and then going to ride a few a second time I finally picked a new bike.

I did end up with the Ruby, with the SRAM shifters (apex) and she should be here soon. I am so excited to get out there on a bike that feels way less scary and way more in control.

I am so annoyed at the bike shop I purchased satan bike (my nickname for the big bike) from. It was a LBS that had high ratings and supposedly they were supposed to be quite knowledgeable. I repeatedly told them the bike felt too big, but was assured that it was the appropriate size for me. I just figured with all my quirks and weirdnesses it was ME that was the problem and not the bike. All season long I felt like I didn't really have control of the bike, couldn't let go of the handlebars or get into the drops at all because it just felt scary. And now I wonder if the issue contributed to my fall at all?

I am just going to move forward, but now I feel SO much more confident in my ability. So, cross your fingers, I hope this is going to be a good thing!

I bought the bike from a shop that will include a 3D bike fitting when the bike gets here. They say it takes about 2 hours, I cannot imagine! But hey, it will probably be useful.

We'd like to do out first tri this year, so it should be nice for that....if I can ever learn to swim!

Comment

Marina,
                              I can't believe that bike shop sold you that big of a bike either, you're right, there's no way you'll ever get that bike to fit.

One more thing that might be worth mentioning, when I got my 3D medical bike fit I told them I had MS hoping they might be able to help me out with any issues they found. That might have been a mistake and just set them off to make me as comfortable as they could on the bike. What I wanted was to get the most power out of what I had. Having said that though, when I looked at the 3D analysis, my cycling stroke wasn't all that bad. I'll go back to get myself tweaked in for max power on the new bike after I start climbing.

I've been out 9 times this month, unbelievable for January in Colorado. If this weather holds, I'll start some real climbing by the end of February. I love my new bike and I can't wait to see how it performs on a sustained climb.

Looking forward to a good year Marina,

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X