ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 PM

Default Keeping cool

Hi All,

I've been lurking in here for a while but just recently started posting. I have a question, and I guess I should give a little background.

I love to play sports. Mostly team sports and stupid ones like dodgeball. I have a cooling vest for most of them, and that works fantastically for when I play softball and volleyball, although bulky. However, with dodgeball its just not feasible. The problem is when I get hot, my optic neuritis starts to flare up. No big deal, when I cool off, it goes away. Well, no big deal except I have 6 balls flying at me and i'm trying to not get hit and only seeing out of 1 eye makes that difficult.

Do you use anything to stay cool that isn't big and bulky? Any useful tips?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 AM
MS Gladiator

I invested in a wicking sPorts shirt that keeps one cooler. I've use the small sport towel that is thin and you keep it wet and cool in lunch cooler to put around neck. You can clip it with small binder clip to keep around neck. Tying it was too tight. I also tried putting the child fever cooling band aids on my lower back, stomach and neck when I had to attend a golf event all day in sun. I think it helped me. I had flexible ice packs in my cooler, and on breaks I would put on my pulse points. Hope that's helpful. Glad your'e playing.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks Suebee,

I had never heard of those bandaids before. I'm going to have to get some, especially because I'm guessing they come in amazing colors! I'm going to try the towels tonight and see if they help.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

amc, in my experience, cooling vests, ice water, etc. will not completely eliminate MS vision loss due to heat. (Frustrating!) It might delay it, and help you recover faster, but not cancel it out. I find that even when I go out for a bike ride in 40 degree weather, I'll still get fuzzy vision when body temps start to climb. Even if I'm wearing a T-shirt! Bursts of exercise work best so I don't get overheated.

Alas, your future as a professional dodgeballer may be in jeopardy, but don't fret. I hear the pay is pretty crappy.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 AM

Default Hyperkewl cooling tank

Hi,
I've stayed cool for about an hour-ish indoors exercising in an 75 degree room wearing the Hyperkewl cooling tank(not vest). You soak it in cool to cold water ( inside absorbs/outside repels water) squeeze it and wear it next to your skin.I wear a perforated tank top over it. It won't soak the shirt you are wearing over top the tank if you don't soak the bottom few inches i put mine on about 30 mins before exercising to cool down my core then I resoak it again just before i get active. I also have a Passive Phase Change Cooling Vest - it keeps me cool for a lot longer but it was $ and its bulky. Dave has a great review of cooling vests on this activemsers site( thanks Dave!). Here's a link to the cooling tank-
http://www.mycoolingstore.com/hyperk...-tank-top.html

Have fun!

Lynn C
Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM

Thanks Everyone.

Unfortunately, my professional dodgeball days seem to be over. I decided that one of the best ways to stay active would be to live in a better climate, so I moved across the country and have yet to find a dodgeball league in my new home.

I do appreciate the tips. I ended up with cooling towels and those seemed to help. I now take them hiking with me, because the cooling vest is packed in a box I haven't gotten to yet!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

These are some great tips. Figured I'd bump this to the top. How is everyone doing this summer (for those in the NH at least)? - D