Who here bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here bikes?

I took out my mountain bike yesterday to take a spin around the neighborhood and enjoy the 70-degree temps in Albuquerque. Due to vision issues when I get hot, my "mountain" bike is now relegated to mellow terrain and pavement.

As long as I avoid traffic, I'm usually okay except for the odd pedestrian. And my balance is decent on the bike (don't ask about getting off after a long ride, though).

Just wondering. Who here bikes? Road or mountain? Two or three wheels? Just curious....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I am looking into getting bikes for my family, have yet to do so though! I haven't been on a bike in about 5 years so it'll be interesting to see if my balance will allow a traditional bike. But I am really excited to try!

Comment

In a current "pause" on wheels

But, I hope to get back on one! I used to constantly mountain bike / trail ride on my beloved Trek... I miss it!! My goal is to do one of the MS 150's within the next 2-3 years and my docs have given me a yellow for now. I'll really have to debate between a recumbent and regular road bike. Here in SE Texas we drop below 85% humidity for a total of 2 weeks throughout the year so it's more of the outside heat that keeps me from it rather than other issues (other than recent back surgery which went fantastic!!!)

Comment

Road bike mania

My husband and I bought road bikes in May. At first, I was a bit unsteady.My dizziness hasn't been an issue lately, so I am riding all the time with some practice. Heat seems to be much less of an issue with cycling than with running. I guess there is a cooling factor with the wind.
        I hope to do the MS150 with my local cycling club next June. I love cycling. I have over 1000 miles on my bike since May!!!

Comment

I cylce - mostly commuting to work. Interestingly (or weirdly) my symptoms aren't exacerbated as much on the bike as they are during a brisk walk. It doesn't seem to matter how hot I get on the bike. My neuro can't explain it either.

Comment

Avid road biker

I was just looking forward to some time off the road bike after completing four events this year including an MS 150, when my youngest daughter called and invited me to do the "El Tour de Tucson" with her in November. Obviously there isn't a choice here, I'm salivating at just the thought of riding her skinny little 26 year old behind into the ground over 109 miles on her own home turf (what are the chances)?

So, after an all too brief respite, I'm back on the bike, doing everything in my power to reduce the amount of time I'm going to have to sit on that seat to complete that ride. I hope to come in in about six and a half hours and I know even that's going to hurt like the devil.

I agree with MANIS above, while I'm on the bike I don't suffer too much from overheating at least until temps hit 85 and above. It's a different story when I stop though. Just don't stop, right?
            And as far as traffic goes, I'm perfectly happy to ride with the cars until I get exhausted. At that point I am prone to life threatening stupidity unless I take a break.

Best therapy for MS brain??? Bicycle maintenance!

Bike On

Comment

Just Ranting

Had a beautiful day yesterday after a cold, rainy week last week, so got the road bike out and decided to visit my mothers grave. Got to within 1/2 mile of the cemetery and tried a short cut that put me on a marginal trail system which turned into gravel then dirt and weeds until I eventually had to turn around. Crashed getting back onto the main trail, picked up a little road rash, some bruises, the first scratch in my brand new helmet but no bike damage. Shakily made it to the cemetery via the long route, parked the bike, spent a few minutes with mom and found I had an almost flat tire when I got back to the bike. It was probably picked up going through the weeds and is probably what caused me to crash in the first place.

Tried to call DW for a ride, but found out she had left town with a relative. No choice but to fix the tire, pump it up as much as possible, I counted 350 strokes before it wouldn't go any more, and try to make it home on a not quite fully inflated tire.

I made it with no further problems, 55 miles, 4:10 of seat time and 5 and 1/2 hours of clock time, a LOT more than I set out to do but better than I would have thought under the circumstances. Lucky for me DW didn't get home till late because she hates to listen to the "symphony of moans and groans", as she puts it, and has little patience for the exaggerated gimping around that goes on after something like this. Got to spend the evening on "couch patrol" with a glass of wine for the pain, the TV for company and didn't have to listen to anyone telling me what a dumb Sh*t I am. All in all, an acceptable ending to a not so great day.

Didn't go out today, still a little shaky and nursing some bruises but plan to hit it again tomorrow maybe for just an hour or two.

Later,
              AMF

Comment

Old Guy On A Bike With MS

It's been cold here, haven't been able to get out on the bike much but did manage a short stint the other day. Went up and around one of my favorite rides, a reservoir near my house. It's on good trails and bike friendly roads, and it includes some small hills and gets me out into the urban country side.

Didn't have any trouble getting to the road that circles the reservoir, in fact it didn't take as long as usual thanks to a nice tail wind that was noticeably picking up. Of course, a tail wind in one direction is a head wind in the other and sure enough, as soon as I came around the far end of the reservoir, turning towards home, I found myself riding into about a 25 MPH headwind.

I love the wind, at least that's what I tell myself constantly as I ride against it. So I was merilly riding along against the wind doing about 10 MPH, invoking the name of God and mumbling under my breath just how much I loved it when this big guy blows past me in a crouch doing 25 or 30. Another half mile or so up the road I come across this guy off to the side, bike upside down, rear wheel in his hands, taking the tire and tube off, apparently a flat. As I rode by I clamored out the usual "You Good?" and got the "All Ok, thanks for asking" back so kept on pedaling without even slowing. Another 20 minutes down the road, just starting the climb up to the dam and out of the reservoir, the guy comes screaming by me again, bullet shaped on the bike, going up hill against the wind at 25 MPH.

The reason this is worth mentioning is that the recreational cyclist never sees guys like this on bikes except on TV. They are the elite, the Olympic athletes, the Tour de France guys. They don't notice little hills and if it hadn't been for the 25 MPH head wind, this guy would have blown by me at 35 MPH. And they never train on the same ground as old guys with MS.

But the thing is, this guy looked a lot like Big George Hincapie.

Maybe??? It wouldn't be the first time something so cool's happened on a bike.

Comment

Score one for Old Guys With MS

I just returned from the El Tour de Tucson bike race that my youngest daughter invited me to several months ago. Over 8,000 riders showed up, it took 20 minutes just to get everyone out of the start cue.

Thankfully, my daughter took mercy on me and kept the pace moderate, and fortunately there wasn't much climbing involved. Except for a couple of sandy river bed crossings (oddly placed in a road bike event) and a flat tire, it all went pretty smooth and the stunning desert scenery cruising along right at the base of the mountains that surround the city of Tucson on three sides, provided plenty of interesting diversion from the monotony of pedaling.

For the first 60 miles, my daughter could have easily ridden off and left me, but she didn't. At about 70 miles we started riding pretty evenly together. At 90 miles, she started to fade while I was still feeling pretty good. We finished the last 20 miles with me leading, her drafting on my wheel, and crossed the finish line side by side a little less than 10 hours after our start. We only placed in the bottom 10% of the 3,633 riders who actually managed to finish the whole 109 miles but I'll take that as a win and score one for an old guy with MS and his 20 something daughter in her first long distance cycling event.

AMF
                  Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Happy New Year

Yea, yea, yea, it was my intention to stay in reasonable shape over the holidays but the reality was, I did nothing but debauch. Three holidays, two birthdays, one anniversary and a partridge in a pear tree and what do you know, 10-lbs., lousy balance, rubbery legs, fatigue and cog fog so thick you could cut it and wrap it. From the week before thanksgiving until New Years Eve I continuously over ate, consistently drank to obnoxiousness, unashamedly smoked visiting relatives cigarettes and did absolutely no exercise. OK, I did shovel a couple of inches of light snow off the driveway but only after it sat there for three days because I couldn’t con DW into doing it. I even blew off most of my yoga sessions, which I really enjoy. What a slug!

But it’ll be all over soon so, while still basking in the afterglow of way too much food and booze and before the shock of detox sets in, I got on the web and signed up for the MS 150 and two other bike rides, entry fees and miscellaneous crapola all sealed with a credit card. And, in order to insure that backing out is not even a remote possibility, I am enlisting as many friends, neighbors, and relatives as I can find to do these rides with me. This technique worked for me last year and I fully expect the same results this year. So there, MS be damned! Now the only thing left to do is actually get started.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

10 lbs? In six weeks? Yeah, you better get training AMF! My friend Lenny, who does centuries on a single speed between 24-hour races, would whip you into shape. He travels to bike events all over the SW. Look for him on one that looks like a yellow taxi cab...

Oh, and get back to yoga, too. Limber is good. Stiff is bad. Really stiff is really bad.
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Bike MS training checkin 1/6/10

Dave,

Yes sir, I'm on it! Just back from yoga, wasn't as stiff as I deserved to be, except for one new spot I'll have to work a little harder on.

And, made it to the club for 45 minutes on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday I took an elliptical next to an octogenarian gentleman who was already there when I arrived. I couldn't help but notice that he was working at about the same level of effort as I was but at a faster pace. He was still going when I left. I think I've found my motivation.

Comment

I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom
                          Originally posted by txhollyann View Post
                          But, I hope to get back on one! I used to constantly mountain bike / trail ride on my beloved Trek... I miss it!! My goal is to do one of the MS 150's within the next 2-3 years and my docs have given me a yellow for now. I'll really have to debate between a recumbent and regular road bike. Here in SE Texas we drop below 85% humidity for a total of 2 weeks throughout the year so it's more of the outside heat that keeps me from it rather than other issues (other than recent back surgery which went fantastic!!!)

Comment

Bike Touring

Originally posted by ernrom View Post
                            I have a recumbant bike I would get rid or for a regular two wheel. I am going to ride to Colorado from El Paso,Tx. Trying to travel up hills on a recumbat ,I think would be reaally hard. ernrom

I've had touring in the back of my mind for several years now too. My idea is to find a steel touring or cyclocross frame and transfer my mountain bike components to it. Checking craigslist frequently for just the right deal.

Later,

Comment

I am getting into road cycling. While the bike I have is actually a hybrid, we've been making changes to it (road tires have replaced the hybrid tires). I try to ride or go to spin class 5-6 days/week.

Comment

Working...
                              X