ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM
MS Yoda

Hey jjmagpin, Skratch is the electrolyte hydration mix I like because it's low on carbs (sugars), I can drink it all day and it doesn't bother my stomach. It works for me but there's a lot of them out there. If you try something let us know if you think it helps your problem.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Cool.
Thanks AMFadventures. I appreciate it. I will check it out and let you know how it works out.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

A quick training update. I managed a distance PR the other weekend: 19.25 miles. If my tracker hadn't conked out at the end, I would have done circles in my driveway to hit an even 20! (Okay, maybe not literally, my trike has an EPIC turning radius.) I definitely still had gas in the tank to go longer.

Now, I'm not close to a century, and probably never will be. That's okay by me. That's not my goal, and since my arms are my fitness outlet, I don't want to put them through that stress. But I hope to get into the 20s down the road, especially in cooler weather.

The other day in serious heat I put in 11 quick miles. It was going to be shorter, but when I got home I realized that the clattering I heard earlier on the trail was the top portion of my flag falling off. Dangnangit. So back out I went! Fortunately I knew about where it was.

Still hitting the gym regularly, riding 2-3 times a week. We'll see if that continues with the heat.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM
MS Whisperer

Hi All!

Just a quick update, I can add video later once Steve goes through it all.

My bike MS ride was this weekend. And it was awesome. I rode 130 miles (didnt go the 50 route on day 2 as we were under a tropical storm warning!) and raised 2500 I even rode with other people. Some guys preferred my pace and kept with us for 20 miles! All in all a positive experience. My goal was to ride faster then I did last year and both days I did

Day 1 - https://www.strava.com/activities/598695419

Day 2 - https://www.strava.com/activities/599579950

Up next for me, tomorrow night I am doing my first group ride. That was my goal for the year, do one group ride and I picked this one. Its a novice ride and I have told the leader about the trike situation. Now to get over my mortification on being so slow on the hills. For Larry this wont seem hilly but for me this scares me! 800 ft in 14 miles. Steve is coming with and can be my safety person in case I need to bail!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-08.jpg (89.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
MS Master

Thumbs up

Way to go! so impressed. Thanks for sharing photo.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:18 PM
MS Yoda

Default Getting High

Gotta agree with Suebee, very impressive guys and girls. Dave gets to scratch off another PR and Marina scratches off another century, not too shabby. How was the hilly ride Marina?

I'm starting to get high now, yup, getting into the real mountain climbs. We've been starting around 7,500 ft., and climbing to 11,000. The goal is to do that up one side of the mountain, down the other side and then back.

At the moment, there's some major air sucking going on above 9,000 ft., apparently I'm still a red blood cell or two short of a full load. However, I am very happy with my leg strength. Although it's probably not enough for Pikes Peak yet, the hills that were really tough last year don't seem quite as bad this year. I don't think I'm climbing any faster but I'm happy to settle for climbing the steep stuff a little easier.

Going to get a chance to test my heat sensitivity this coming weekend. We've got a long ride planned in temperatures forecast to reach the uper 90's. That could get interesting. Fortunately, there are a number of places to pull in for AC and water along the route, and fortunately also, my buddy loves the heat. If worse comes to worse, I could slip in somewhere to sip ice tea while she goes to get the car. Ha, of course I'd never hear the end of it.

Keep the good work up guys, and the rubber side down,

Larry
Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 PM
MS Whisperer

Dave, I get so happy to read about your new PRs!! A far cry from the foot pedaled trike....

Marina, you continue to be my triker heroine! So glad to hear that your ride was such a stellar success, and FUN! We can't forget the fun of this, can we??

And Larry, I read about your climbing, and feel the need to reach for an oxygen tank...9,000 feet?? Holy moly.....

Now, you have so helped me realize that I haven't been "training" as I should be if I really want to up my overall speed to a respectable number. So, now that I am able to get out to ride, I am committed to taking care of this. I'm not asking for anything big here.... And I know that trikers talk about " It's the Journey, not the speed..." , but I can't stand going so slow on such a magnificent machine as the Catrike 700.... SO, I am right now getting out twice a week to just do sprints.....on the weekend I go to my preferred trail 50 miles north where I do a 13 mile round trip, all in short intense sprints....lots of stops to re hydrate and obsess over the computer numbers. During the week, I have been able to carve out on day on a local trail where I do a 7 mile loop, again in short intense sprints..... I am thinking of it as getting to my Outdoor Gym... And, it is beginning to work! My average speed has crept up a few 10ths of a mile.... and my cadence has definitely gotten stronger and faster, which really thrills me.

Marina, you taught me that "we" can go fast on trikes, Larry you taught me that us Older Folks (i.e. Old Farts...) can still train and improve, and Dave you taught me to remember the " If at first you don't succeed.." mantra. Oh yeah, and since you all have this lovely disease, you reminded me that it isn't time for me to plateau with my physical abilities...

I will do the "slow rides" that I have heard so much about as being also benificial in training....and right now I am not getting nutz about distance.... I know the feeling I want to have with cadence and speed, and right now that is just what I am striving for. The Sufferfest video training I did in the winter where I focused spinning on my right, weaker leg, definitely is paying off. It is a little stronger, and now I am demanding more of that leg...and finding my cadence more even with the legs.

So, I am "back in the saddle" and happy again...

Happy trails to all!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Although the temps out here in the Southwest have been brutal, I've managed to get out on the trike a number of afternoons for an hour or two. A couple days ago I set a PR for average speed (8.9 mph), surprising considering it was in the mid 90s. Maybe I just wanted to get home quickly!

Actually, a cooling vest is the only way that could happen. Today I tried a cooling insert in my helmet and it seemed to work well.

Great to see everyone ripping it up!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Set two PRs for average speed this past week, both on hour-long+ rides. Monday I hit 9.1 mph and Wednesday I averaged 9.2. I would have been in the low 10s, but I stopped a couple times to chat with neighbors. Damn friendly neighbors!

Hope everyone has been staying fit while the forum has been having fits. I logged 120 miles this past month and have a darn good cycling tan to show for it! Will post pics later.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:41 PM
MS Whisperer

Yay the board is back

Veronica - go you, being just on the trike again outside must feel so good!

As for me, here it is 98, Sunny, and 90% humidity, so I am inside.

Steve has been harassing me for months to give the Knights of Sufferlandria Challenge a try and so tomorrow I will do that. Basically, you do 10 sufferfest videos in a row (indoor HIIT training videos, the challenge excludes the "easier" ones). So I will be on my bike, in the trainer for about 11-12 hours tomorrow. I will let you all know if I survive (and whether my marriage makes it).