ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivWell View Post

Anyone else found something they like that can handle unpaved surfaces? I don't mean mountain climbing - just something that won't leave you stranded with a flat tire.
Wheel width and ground clearance are the most important things for "off roading." My old Jazzy Jet 3 has fully 6 inches of ground clearance. I constantly drive over branches, mounds of hay, curbs up to 4 inches high *(If I go over them backwards!) I even use that chair as a small tractor with a dozer blade I welded up for cleaning out animal pens!

A short video of me abusing my Jazzy: CLICKY
Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
M.S. since 2000
Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 AM
MS Warrior

Thanks for sharing the video. I agree that the manufacturer would probably not be a fan of your ingenuity!

Looks like a nice compact chair with good turning radius and maneuverability. The goats are pretty awesome too!

...\O/...
Liv__Well
..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary
Old 01-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivWell View Post
Thanks for sharing the video. I agree that the manufacturer would probably not be a fan of your ingenuity!

Looks like a nice compact chair with good turning radius and maneuverability. The goats are pretty awesome too!
They are my therapy animals, give me a reason to get my fat backside out of bed in the morning! If they are not fed as the sun comes up, they let me know about it in no uncertain terms!
M.S. since 2000
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 PM
MS Warrior

Of course it is best to start with your care team for one-on-one training but there's this guy..... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsj...sT4PDglcMseatw

He uses a manual wheelchair because because of a spinal cord injury. Great info on manual wheelchair use and maintenance.

...\O/...
Liv__Well
..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Starting to look into super lightweight chairs. Just waiting on an official referral from my health insurance to start. But I hear it's unlikely they'll support crazy cool ones made of titanium with a hidden electric motor with turbo boost and a built-in massager. The nerve.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveMSers View Post
Starting to look into super lightweight chairs. Just waiting on an official referral from my health insurance to start. But I hear it's unlikely they'll support crazy cool ones made of titanium with a hidden electric motor with turbo boost and a built-in massager. The nerve.
I always pay cash for my power chairs. I have found that I can buy a quality chair used for less than the cost of my copay if I go through my insurance company. Plus, it saves my poor doctor from the 20 pages of crap you have to fill out now since the days of mass marketing chairs to everyone on the planet weather they needed it or not!.

But,

Mmmmm titanium!
M.S. since 2000