Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Does Vigorous Exercise Have A Neuroprotective Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Does Vigorous Exercise Have A Neuroprotective Effect?

From the July issue of the journal Neurology. This was done for Parkinson Disease, but the results may very well translate to multiple sclerosis. - Dave

ABSTRACT

Does Vigorous Exercise Have A Neuroprotective Effect In Parkinson Disease?
    - Ahlskog, J., Eric PhD, MD. Pages: 288-294

Parkinson disease (PD) is progressive, with dementia and medication-refractory motor problems common reasons for late-stage nursing-home placement. Increasing evidence suggests that ongoing vigorous exercise/physical fitness may favorably influence this progression. Parkinsonian animal models reveal exercise-related protection from dopaminergic neurotoxins, apparently mediated by brain neurotrophic factors and neuroplasticity (predicted from in vitro studies). Similarly, exercise consistently improves cognition in animals, also linked to enhanced neuroplasticity and increased neurotrophic factor expression. In these animal models, immobilization has the opposite effect. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) may mediate at least some of this exercise benefit. In humans, exercise increases serum BDNF, and this is known to cross the blood-brain barrier. PD risk in humans is significantly reduced by midlife exercise, documented in large prospective studies. No studies have addressed whether exercise influences dementia risk in PD, but exercised patients with PD improve cognitive scores. Among seniors in general, exercise or physical fitness has not only been associated with better cognitive scores, but midlife exercise significantly reduces the later risk of both dementia and mild cognitive impairment. Finally, numerous studies in seniors with and without dementia have reported increased cerebral gray matter volumes associated with physical fitness or exercise. These findings have several implications for PD clinicians. 1) Ongoing vigorous exercise and physical fitness should be highly encouraged. 2) PD physical therapy programs should include structured, graduated fitness instruction and guidance for deconditioned patients with PD. 3) Levodopa and other forms of dopamine replenishment therapy should be utilized to achieve the maximum capability and motivation for patients to maintain fitness.

GLOSSARY: AD: Alzheimer disease, BDNF: brain-derived neurotrophic factor, GDNF: glial-derived neurotrophic factor, MCI: mild cognitive impairment, PD: Parkinson disease, VEGF: vascular endothelial growth factor.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

This is great. It's confirmation that all I'm doing is for a good cause, like my brain, and not just to get back into a size 10. Though I'd love the latter too.

Comment

Yep! I agree as well. I have noticed (but wondered if it was coincidence or all in my head) that my MS symptions and relapses have lessoned since I have been more active and exercising regularily. I push myself pretty hard, and have noticed no ill effects (so far). Of course this is my own personal experience and your individual mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
      X