Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography

Asking lots of questions today, but does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing a digital SLR camera? I sold my SLR camera about 10 years ago when I needed cash. Now with such cool options, I was browsing the stores trying to find a "starter" camera for outdoor photography. I found that they were pretty heavy, and when I get over heated, I have sensory issues in my hands. I wonder if a heavy camera would meet a quick demise for sure. (mind you my idea of heavy is certainly relative)

Does anyone have an SLR camera that they love? Thanks!
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

Consumer Report just reviewed digital SLRs in their July 2008 issue. The Nikon D80 ($900) was top rated, but weighs 24 ounces. Second rated is the Olympus Evolt E-510 (with basically the same score) at $550 and it weighs only 16.4 ounces. The Evolt E-410 finished fourth and is the lightest an least expensive in the group at 15.3 ounces and $450. The Canon Digital Rebel XTi is $600, weight 20 ounces, and finished 5th.

I use a very small camera, the Casio Exilim EX-Z100. It takes great shots, fits in the pocket easily, and weighs a scant 4 ounces. My SLR has been mothballed (I do miss my 300mm zoom) in favor of this tiny shooter.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Bought the wife a Nikon D80 for Christmas 2006. It is a good camera. I can't say great because they keep bumping up the abilities of digital cameras (just like computers). Nikon just introduced the D700, from the specs it sound great, but it is still bloody expensive and heavy!

I tell people to stick with Nikon if possible because they don't run off and change the lens mount like other people (canon, being the worst about this). I have a few old manual lenses that are optically great, and I can use them on any Nikon body.

That being said, a lot of my photography gear has been collecting dust for awhile now with the MS. The idea of carrying a bunch of heavy gear and hiking around just doesn't seem smart. Granted, it probably would not be so bad for short distances and if I got my butt in better shape.

Unless you are doing big prints (I would think bigger than 8 x 10 or maybe even 11 x 14 with the higher rez p&s) or doing something very specific (low-light, shallow depth of field, etc.), the point and shoot camera are very good these days.

Comment

I just switched from film to digital. I had been using a Nikon for years, but wanted the image stabilizing features of a Canon (yes, I know Nikon makes stabilizing lenses, but they're pretty expensive). So, my first foray was into a Canon film camera (Elan) with some lenses. I just bought an XSi that went with me on my vacation to Newfoundland. I'm really happy with the camera and the photos it produced.

I went with the XSi because it was light, fairly inexpensive and had good reviews. I especially like the weight when it's around my neck for the longer walks.

I also appreciate having an image stabilizing lens (70-300). Even though I'm not as steady as I once was, it lets me take crisp photos again. An aging professional photographer told me the stabilization added 10 years to his professional life. He switched from Nikon to Cannon and never looked back.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas!
          Joy

Comment

For my birthday, a big surprise. I got an Olympus Evolt E-510 with two lenses. I pushed some weird button and now I have to figure out how to reset things back to normal...but sure had a lot of fun so far taking tons of pictures.
            Joy

Comment

Working...
            X