Rode 9 miles, one hour nonstop--new PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode 9 miles, one hour nonstop--new PR

So I was looking back at my 2012 goals and one of them was to ride my stationary bike for a full hour nonstop using only my legs. I had peaked at 40 minutes earlier in the year and decided to shelve that goal after that ride hosed my legs for a couple days. Well, yesterday I was curious to see how they'd do and went for a full hour nonstop (actually 62 minutes) and put in a full 9 miles on my exercise cycle, burning an estimated 300 calories.

I averaged 11 mph or so for the first 30 minutes and gradually slowed down to 8 mph for the last 10. I just could not go faster. Yeah, I hosed my legs! But today they are feeling okay, albeit a bit tired.

After this success, I think it may be time to invest in a trike. I'll just need to make sure I can lash on my forearm crutches so I can move once I finish touring around. Yesterday it took all of my strength to walk--and that was using my rarely-used walker--right after the ride. Whoops. Let's just say that going out to dinner with friends that night was a bit more challenging than it usually is... but I made it, ha.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Awesome Dave!
    Anyone who can ride 62 minutes on a stationary bike is doing well. Pedaling nowhere is very hard to do. I went to my first spin class in 3 weeks and lasted about 42 minutes. Then came home and had to lay down didn't eat dinner that night. ( ok I was getting over the flu) but for me to miss a meal is a big deal.
    Keep up the good work.
    Jill

Comment

Thanks Jill. I've done spin more than a few times and if I were to go now I wouldn't last 20 minutes (heck, probably not even 10!), so 42 minutes is pretty darn solid.

As for the legs, they held up great and I didn't even have to take a break from my regular exercise routine. Yesterday arms and today I did legs at the gym. And then a couple hours later did the dishes, cooked a soup (black/pinto bean with green chile), and cleaned up afterward ... all w/o aid (about another hour standing). I definitely needed my cane at the end; my legs are mucho tired now!

Gulp, and I'm off for a party in less than an hour and still have to shower. Gotta run! Er, hobble....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Congrats on the new PR Dave, new PR's, when you can get them, are always motivational.

I like the idea of carrying a walking aid on the three wheeler too, got me to thinking along the lines of a collapsible hiking stick for the bike, just need to figure out how to mount it.

Larry

Comment

Bravo Dave!!

I am very happy for you and I know that you are going to built on that.

Happy New Year.

Alain

Comment

I think one of the things that concerns me most with having MS is not being able to get in a good quality aerobic workout. Sometimes fatigue or heavy legs limit how much I can exercise, but I believe a short workout is better than none at all. Even Yoga can get your heart rate up.

I haven't ridden my bike outside since my diagnosis. But, my Trek does double duty as a stationary bike on a wind trainer in my living room.

I'm working up to being able to sustain an hour-long spin and when I do go back out on the bike trail I think I'll bring along a cane. I've got a collapsible "mini" that I could probably lash to the frame with some velcro strips I have. I'd never thought of bringing it before - thanks for the idea Dave!
            Last edited by LivWell; 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM. Reason: grammer

...\O/...
            Liv__Well
            ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Thanks guys for the support. And LivWell, I'm working on a video series to do cardio sitting down. I've got a number of good tricks that have really helped me.

As for attaching a walking aid, a collapsible cane may be small enough to be slotted in a water bottle cage with only minor modifications (if any--just put it into a water bottle with no top). I usually use a single cane to get around, but that may not be enough support after a hard ride. I'll experiment at home.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Found the absolute best walking aid to take with me on my rides. Had lunch with the HBC (Hot Blond Chick) who I did most of my riding with last year. We’ll be doing a couple of rides and a lot of our training together again this year. She’s not a blond anymore, she’s a brunette now, and unbelievably, even hotter. IMHO, if you can find one, an HBC (Blond or Brunette) is the best walk aid in the world.

Comment

I guess no worries about attaching anything to the bike then...

I wonder if there is a HBD (HotBrunetteDude) version? I'll have to give this some consideration.

...\O/...
                  Liv__Well
                  ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Originally posted by LivWell View Post
                    I guess no worries about attaching anything to the bike then...

I wonder if there is a HBD (HotBrunetteDude) version? I'll have to give this some consideration.
                    From a motivational standpoint alone, you won't regret it (blond, brunette, brown, black or even bald). And besides, it's just more fun with a friend.

AMF

Comment

Working...
                    X