No announcement yet.

Bike MS 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am planning to ride in the East End MS ride this September ( east end of Long Island, New York )
    The longest I have ridden in an event is 25 miles and that was in the Pennsylvania Livestrong challenge. My friend had been dx with a cancerous brain tumor and suddenly my ms felt like....well lets just say I was thankful. Ive ridden a few smaller 13 mile rides for MS and have wanted my step up to 50 miles be for me..and for MS!
    The way Im feeling right now I will be happy to get the 25 under my belt. Ive kinda felt blah lately and need to get out of it.
    Which is why I came here. I need to be an active mser....not an mser.

I just today got on the bike trainer in the basement ( its raining otherwise I would hit the road ). Rode a whole 3 miles....lolol I am laughing because thats just nothing on a bike.....
    but It was my start and a little at a time and Ill be back to where I was....

Generally I prefer the mountain bike. I have only been on the trails 2x this season sadly. Both times I happen to be on the easiest trail around and 6 miles into the 8 mile trail I got to where I was stopping every 5 minutes or so...just for a minute and then I was ok...but wow is that discouraging. It sucked and I was so frustrated.

Anyway...
    by road and by trail Im making my way back!
    Leesh ( Alicia )

Comment

Alicia and Marky- Welcome! We all started with a few miles at a time and slowly built from there. Some days I am back to a few miles but I love cycling so I keep it up. I'm on a tandem now most of the time due to issues.

Larry- "I read an article not too long ago, which claimed that long duration endurance exercise, like I’ve been doing this year, causes the body to produce more cortisol, one of the psychological stress hormones, while short high intensity interval exercises induce the body to produce more HGH." I wasn't aware of this explanation, but I have noted the phenomenon. Winter before last I launched into workout overdrive. I did kettlebells, weights, trainer for hours, Pilates, etc. I hurt for every day for months. Not only was I not stronger on the bike that spring, I was weaker. I have never regained where I was before that "experiment". So, I believe that pushing myself is important, there is a value in moderation.
      "Tour de pancake" tomorrow- a 44 mile hilly ride and then a pancake breakfast with the bike club. We rode 41 miles yesterday and I slept most of the rest of the day. I'm having a dizzy period and that takes so much of my energy.

No word from the neurologist. I didn't have any dizziness for over a year on the Copaxone, so a return of the dizziness makes me uneasy. I did have a few spells even on the Gilenya but they were mild. Time will tell what this episode does.

So, next spring, you need to head to Lexington. We should have 2 guest rooms ready by then. We have one functional but a bit rough now.
      You will be so strong on the minor hills we have around here.

Pell

Comment

Welcome to all of the MS bike riders who’ve joined us here lately. It’s great to hear from you. I hope you’ll let us know how your training goes and how your rides are. I know I love hearing about everyone else’s rides, especially in different parts of the country, or the world (France!!!). All we are trying to do here is to maintain an active lifestyle in spite of the MS and we mostly do it on bikes.

Pell, We’ll be there with bells on. Have you guys ever given any thought to the Jack and Back MS ride in Tennessee? The NMSS site shows it as one of the more challenging rides. Whatever happened with the hypertension?

I got 133 miles in 10 hours with 6,000 ft. of ascent in last week. The biggest ride was in the heat last Saturday. The heat sure does crank up the MS symptoms but I don’t think there’s any lasting damage. I do worry about my old heart though. I suspect working out in that kind of heat puts a lot more strain on the heart than usual. Hope everyone is managing to stay cool.

AMF

Comment

We have been riding despite the heat. Mondays we usually ride single bikes but I was concerned about the dizziness today. We did a fairly hilly 35 mile ride in 90+ heat. Yesterday we ran late so we missed the 50 mile ride but did catch the 30 mile crowd and did it pretty fast- 19.3. Another rider knows how fast we can ride so he rode up next to us and really goaded Mike- Why so slow, so are you stopping now.....
          Off we went pulling a long train. It was pretty fun but tiring. The hardest part is keeping up the pace on hills.
          I am on Lisinopril 10 mg with no apparent side effects. I may actually feel a bit better when I really push on the bike. I am still waiting to hear what the Gilenya folks say about the restrictive lung disease. I don't see that I have many options. I would really like to get back on some type of treatment.

I'll look at the Jack and Back ride. The Kentucky MS ride is pretty neat. They changed it a few years ago and the Jack Daniels distillery is the Saturday night venue. Unfortunately, our time share srarts that weekend.

Pell

Comment

Reflections

On the Triple Bypass
            Athough I’ll probably never do another Triple Bypass again, I still want to know what went wrong that I wasn’t able to complete the whole thing. I believe the bulk of my training plan was adequate and that I carried it out well enough to enable me to do it, even though it didn’t seem to be as beneficial to my MS as training has been in past years.

Where I think I screwed up was in that critical last couple of weeks, which include the Peak Period, and the Taper Period. I peaked about a week too early, maybe a little more, as a result I tried to maintain my fitness level by over training during the taper. The net result was a high fatigue level on the day of the ride. I felt this the morning of the ride, I knew I was not as fresh as I have been on some rides.

The other thing I screwed up was fueling. I was so concerned about bonking on that ride that I over fueled, riding most of it with an uncomfortably full stomach. I think I at least have a chance to change the taper and the fueling for the Copper Triangle. Hope I see better results.

On the Heat
            The heat has been frighteningly bad this year, no doubt about it, but I have found a few things that have helped me, as a person with MS, to temper my fear of it.

The heat puts more stress on the heart. The hotter it is, the harder the heart has to work just to cool the brain and body. If you’re exercising in the heat, expect to see a noticeable drop in performance, don't let it frustrate you into something you'll regret.

Although the heat cranks up the MS symptoms (like to MAX sometimes), I have been able to increase my heat tolerance by riding on increasingly hotter days, in fact, I’ve been able to do hard rides in upper 90’s and even 100 degree heat lately. I would never do this without a plan or a partner who is aware of my MS though. Pell seems to have been able to increase her heat tolerance too but I’m not sure it’ll work for all MSers.

I have discovered that I can recover from the heat in about 20 or 30 minutes by getting to shade or AC and drinking at least a quart of cold fluids. It seems to be important to get the cold fluids down quickly, don’t sip it. I’ve been able to recover this way even when I couldn’t get off the bike or walk to shade without help. It’s been important to me to find my limits in this heat and to know that I can recover, at least I don’t feel like a prisoner any more.

Training
            Got 160 miles in 12 hours with 9,150 feet of ascent this week. I feel good, if I can taper better, I have high hopes for the Copper Triangle next weekend.

AMF
            Ps: Geez Pell, I just made it to 17-mph avg. speed and now you guys are up to 19. ARG!

Comment

Copper Triangle

Copper Triangle tomorrow. Looks like the usual mountain fare, hypothermia in the morning, hyperthermia in the afternoon. Ye Haw!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/90515367

Comment

Copper Triangle

This was a spectacularly beautiful ride. The sun hadn’t peaked over the mountains before we started climbing Fremont Pass. Still, it was just enough climb to stay moderately warm in the early morning mountain air and the brand new asphalt made for a noticeably smooth ride. The descent into Leadville was a tad more than chilly though, it made me very happy with my decision to wear wool socks and long finger gloves that’s for sure.

It took a few minutes to get the legs working again for the next 2.5 mile ascent up Tennessee Pass but it wasn’t a particularly hard climb and that’s also when things got stunningly scenic. The entire descent into Minturn is classic Colorado Rocky Mountains. It is lush green forest covering deep river gorges and sharp mountain peaks all the way. There was only one more short, steep ascent over Battle Mountain and we were able to cruise through Minturn and on to the base of Vail Pass.

Although overall Vail Pass is not one of the steeper ascents around, there are 3 or 4 stretches ranging from an eighth of a mile to maybe a third of a mile that I’m guessing are in the 10% to 16% range. Having ridden up Vail a few weeks ago, I was well aware of a couple of them but I managed to find a couple more after riding 65 miles with 3,000 feet of ascent to get there. I had already decided I’d walk at least part of the first steep hill but I found myself walking parts of a couple more that day. One of those hills I almost made it up except that a 25-MPH head on gust of wind stopped me cold just before the crest.

Anyway, I walked a couple hundred feet of the “Copper” but I rode the rest. We did 80 miles in 6:06 saddle time, 8:12 elapsed time with 5,985 feet of ascent. I’m Happy.

Next up, Pedal los Pueblos, the Santa Fe MS 150. The only goal on this one is NOT to be the last guy up the hill.

AMF
                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

3,000 miles Y T D

So, I had this skinny little drop dead gorgeous blond chick (my very own DD) lined up to do the Santa Fe MS 150 with, but she bailed on me last week. Something about having to floss her dogs’ teeth that weekend and bla, bla, bla, hot, bla, bla, work, bla, training.

The thing is, I look good on the arm of a blond chick. Yeah, I still stumble around a bit and I still drag a foot some, but I don’t have nearly the problems and I’m a LOT less noticeable when I’m on the arm or shoulder of a blond chick, in fact, the more striking the blond chick, the less noticeable I am. I did use my bike fanatic neighbors shoulder once and his shoulder worked fine, but I just look better on the arm of a blond chick, you know?

Anyway, I’m kind of having to re-evaluate just how to handle the rest stop at the top of the hill in Truchas. Hopefully it won’t be too hot and, assuming I still have water I may not even have to stop. I can just turn around and cool off with an easy ride back down the hill. I don’t think the other rest stops will be too much of a problem, as long as it doesn’t get really hot. If it is hot and I need water, I could be in trouble. I suppose I can always pull the “I Ride with MS” card, since I will be wearing my jersey but who knows what ugly dudes shoulder I could end up on. Whew, there's a frightening thought!

I suppose I could look for a shoulder to lean on on-route, but that can be a pretty tough proposition for an old guy.

10 hours, 144 miles and 4088 feet of ascent last week. I don’t think I’m gaining but I don’t think I’m loosing either. And I've passed the 3,000 mile mark for the year.

AMF
                  Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Light at the end of the tunnel

Finally got my helmet cam attached to my new helmet and one of the first pictures it took was of the light at the end of the tunnel. The camera is a brainless thing, it just takes a picture in the general direction I am looking every 2 seconds, or a video clip depending on the only settings it has. When I got home and looked through the pictures I thought “how appropriate, a tunnel with a bright light at the end, and here I am within a week of the last ride of the summer season and boy, am I ever ready to get off this bike for a while. I truly do believe there is light at the end of the tunnel now.”

One more ride, Pedal los Pueblos, the New Mexico MS 150. My only goals are to finish both days of the ride and NOT to be DFL up the Truchas hill (without having to hire Dave, the professional DFLer, to follow me up). I think I’ve got this one in the bag.

185 miles in 13.2 hours with 6,778 feet of ascent for the week. Will do 5 or 6 easy hours this week, the NM MS 150 and then enjoy an occasional glass of wine, a beer now and then and nothing more than the Sunday brunch rides for a while.

Finally,

AMF
                    Attached Files

Comment

• AMF! You totally rock. It was great to see you Saturday night sporting your "I ride with MS" jersey for the first time ever; I was proud to sign it. And it was fantastic to meet many of the other MS riders and MS friends, including a number who are Active MSers (both posters and lurkers). I just wish there was more time to talk--things got pretty crazy at the end. I'm sincerely humbled by your efforts.
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

• I have not logged in for so long, glad I remembered which password I used!
                        Dave and AMF it was great to see you both this weekend! Dave, sorry I monopolized you a bit :-) We just have such great conversations! Loved the video.
                        AMF, It was great to see you and your wife and chat for awhile both Saturday and Sunday! So proud that you managed that Truchas hill! It is scary in the car, couldn't imagine on a bike!

Comment

• Dave and AMF, it was so great to meet you Saturday night. I'm honored to be a part of such a wonderful and supportive community. AMF, it was fun to see you on the course riding that monster climb on Sunday.

As my first MS 150 ride (and my first time riding more than 50 miles!), the weekend was quite an experience. Thank you to all the incredible volunteers that helped to put on such an amazing event. I will definitely be back next year.

Comment

• I'm can't wait for my first OK MS150 ride in two weeks! I have been training for this all summer! I call this ride my counter attack to the MS sucker punch I got for Christmas in 2011. My neuro recommended that I try to keep moving, in moderation. I figure a 150 mile bike ride is moderate enough. I have enjoyed reading about the other MSer's adventures on here. Keep it up!
                            Last edited by Marky-Mark1; 08-31-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Pedal los Pueblos 2012

Any MSer who is reasonably adept at riding a bike owes it to themselves to try this ride. The challenge this ride offers, the phenomenal organization, and the relatively limited number of riders make it a real gem among MS bike rides. Thank you Maggie, Krista and Dave for once again putting on such an incredible Bike MS experience.

It can truly be said that Pedal los Pueblos is a ride for “Those Who Dare”. If I had been on my own I probably would not have done the century on the first day but of course, whenever you put 4 guys and one girl together the dares get bigger, even when two of those guys have MS, (me and our team captain). Screw the MS, screw the heat, never mind the piles of loose gravel on the road and who cares if we add a few hundred more feet to the climb that day. The century was not an option, it was a given.

Almost as soon as we got down from the out and back century and headed up the last hill before the lunch stop, our strongest rider had a flat tire. Could be the reason he was fish tailing around on the century loop descent. Everybody stopped but I figured that 4 guys and one girl were 4 people more than enough to fix a flat, so I headed on up that hill planning to wait at the lunch stop just over the top. Turned out I might have been wrong, it’s possible I was the most experienced bike mechanic in the group and had I stuck around we might have had an easier time later on.

At the top of the hill was a temporary, mobile rest stop manned by two very energetic guys. I generally don’t dismount right away when I stop after a relatively arduous ride and true to form, I pulled up to this rest stop unclipping one foot to rest for a few minutes before I dismounted. As I was standing over my bike, one of the guys came over and began to spray me with a misting bottle, a lightly scented misting bottle. A moment later, the other guy came over and offered to refill my water bottle, an offer I of course couldn’t refuse. When he brought my water bottle back he offered to clean my glasses. That was such an unusual offer that I didn’t understand it at first, but, when I figured it out, and as I’m sure anyone who’s ridden 58 miles uphill knows, they were covered in sweat and grime, I was ecstatic to have an opportunity to get them cleaned up. As a final Fête de la résistance , he offered a cold wash cloth to wrap around my neck. Wow! These guys are like super heroes or something, number 1 in the Nation, maybe the world. The fact of the matter is, after the pain of climbing the hills, enduring the heat and pedaling the miles fades away, it is all of the fantastic volunteers with a mobile rest area, or home made carrot cake cup cakes or banana bread and cookies that sticks in my mind.

Our little group met back up at the lunch stop and we all left together for the mostly down hill ride to the finish, hitting every rest stop along the way. The flat tire reared its head again in the form of a slow leak this time. We stopped to pump it up 5 or 6 times before we reached a rest stop where we could affect a permanent fix. The wind came up in the last 15 or so miles, getting pretty nasty at times with 20 to 25 mph gusts, but when you know your that close to the finish, a little wind won’t stop you. I finished the first day’s 101.5 miles in 7:20 saddle time, 10:08 elapsed time (yes, the rest stops were that good) with about 3,500 feet of ascent. I was tired and hungry and sore but I refused to contemplate what effect today’s century could have on tomorrow’s climb.

Day 2, the Truchas Hill Climb, or Why Selective Memory is a Wonderful Thing.
                              You have to ride about 12 miles and climb about 1,000 feet just to get to the Truchas hill and that’s good because it gives you a chance to work out the last of the stiffness from the previous day. The first five miles of Truchas are a wake up call for sure but they’re manageable, maybe the steeper grades in there don’t seem that tough because the morning air is so exhilarating and the legs are still reasonably fresh. But all of that changes rather abruptly when, at a certain point, you look up and see an impossibly steep hill looming just ahead.

This isn’t the kind of hill that you try to stare down, thinking “You’re not so tough, I’ve got you”. No, this is the kind of hill that says “I will eat you alive, I will bring you to your knees and make you weep and beg for air and strength”. Fortunately, I remembered this hill and I knew, although it was steep, 11% as I recalled, it was less than a quarter of a mile long. Yes, it was finite, it was possible, I had done it the year before, I could do it again. I humbly bowed my head and stared just ahead of my front wheel and I climbed that hill, slowly, very slowly.

What I did not remember was that this was only the first of the big hills on the way to Truchas, and they followed in rather too rapid succession. Over the next two miles there were 5 or 6 more hills ranging from 8% to 10% grade. I began to realize that my memory had tricked me and I started to scramble for some new thoughts on just exactly why I wanted to keep climbing these outrageous hills. What I finally settled on was that the descent of these inclines would be more than worth the climb. 3 miles and 40 minutes later I was in Truchas.

I can’t just jump off my bike after a climb like that, my legs would not be happy about it. Fortunately I didn’t have to though because almost as soon as I stopped and unclipped one foot, one of the rest stop volunteers presented me with a cyclotini, gatorade in a martini glass complete with a green olive on a skewer. A few minutes later and I did lay my bike down and stumble through the crowd to refill my water bottle. Oh, and BTW, I was not DFL, not by 20 or 30 riders.

The descent was indeed worth the climb. I reached speeds of over 49 mph without ever having a death grip on the handlebars. My bike performed flawlessly, it was comfortably solid at those speeds. The road surface was very good, the curves were broad and sweeping and there wasn’t any wind to worry about. It was pretty much just a matter of tuck and go, go as fast as you can, as fast as you dare. After all, it was why you climbed that hill in the first place.

I finished the second day’s 55.5 miles in 4:06 saddle time, 4:39 elapsed time, with 3,484 feet of ascent.

Pedal los Pueblos, for those who dare,

AMF
                              Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 09-02-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Just when I had decided to go to NM next year

Larry-
                                Until your eloquent description, I was seriously thinking about riding the NM MS 150. I believe you cured me of that aspiration. I hate steep hills and 6 in a row is a daunting thought.
                                We rode a century this weekend in Clarksville TN- advertised as a flat century. Although it was pretty flat, it still had 2500' of elevation change according to the bike altimeter and map my ride.
                                We didn't make our speed goal- in fact- Mike blew up pretty badly. We tried to keep our pace up in a stiff headwind and used up our energy. We held 20mph for 60 mile and finished at 18.3. We were the first tandem to finish. In the wind, we had lots of folks interested in our wheel.

Pell

Comment

Working...
                                X