Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is looking for a fitness goal to achieve? How about hiking up Pikes Peak in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to the forum and interested... Real name is Veronica... And this has all been new to me last six months... Can't really believe I'm even posting here. I normally am out of country in summer but who knows what God has planned for 2015? So I thought i would jump into the email list just in case.... Do I email Dave? Dave, are you the founder of this site? See? I really am new.

Comment

Welcome, Veronica! Glad you made the leap to post here. Yes, Dave is the founder of ActiverMSers. I recently met him - great guy!

Originally posted by garyp View Post
      If this idea remotely appeals to you and you would like to be kept informed about this going forward - let me know through responding to this forum post or send me an email at msthrivers@gmail.com. I will be creating a google mailing list for those who are interested.
      To join the Pikes Peak group, email Gary. Hope to see you in 2015!

Comment

Confirming how to contact me..

Hi Veronia:

Just wanted to confirm Sparky10s post - best way to contact me is via email: msthrivers@gmail.com

Once you get there, I will have your email address and I will add you to the google email group that has been setup...to which you will receive (at the moment) only occasional email but will obviously get to be more as plans get more advanced.

Comment

Count me in for sure!!! I will send a separate email as well. Please keep me posted!

Comment

Cane Users?

Didn't hear anything about cane users.

Yes, I'm interested, but I use a cane for any distance over 10 ft. I'm limited to about 1 mi./hr at sea level on level land. However, I consider my self relatively fit; twice a week I do 20 min. on a cross trainer walking up a gentle incline acheiving about 2000 strides in that time (again, at sea level).

What do you think? Am I qualified to join you?

Craig

Comment

More info to help you decide you are "qualified"

Craig:

Rather than provide an opinion or whether you are "qualified" or not - thought would be best to provide the best information I can on the route etc.. then let you decide. I would of course advocate that you talk to your doctor or perhaps physical therapist to get their opinion as well:

1. Here is description of the route: http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?r...eak=Pikes+Peak

- this description provides information on distance etc..

2. Here is the route on a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOoMstEhNc - cannot promise you will hear Muse singing this song all the way up, but you get the idea. And I am not really sure what is going on starting at 3:13 into this video......

If still interested, email me at msthrivers@gmail.com and I will add you to the email list/listserve I have created to communicate with those interested.

Comment

Thanks. Just a little too rough.

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the info. Looks just a bit too rough for me at the moment. Most of the trail is fine, but every one of those big rocks in the path is a good opportunity for me to catch my left leg and go on an unscheduled flight.

Here's hoping that sometime in the next year my left hamstring and hip flexor get to the point I can join you.

Good luck,
                Craig

Comment

Ok Craig - in that case, let the possibility of taking part in this be a motivating force when are doing physical therapy for that 1,000-th time

If you would like, send me your email address - and can add you to the email distribution list for those interested, that way you can stay up to date should you decide you are well enough to participate.

Comment

Craig, I expect there will be a group at base camp who will do shorter hikes instead of the full ascent. I hope to be in that group. Ideally there will be something for the whole lot of us....
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Lots of other hiking opportunities...

Excellent point Dave. "Base camp" is likely to be located in Mueller State Park - which has 55 miles of of hiking trails of varying degrees of challenge from short hikes on tarmac to day long. And just spectacular scenery every step of the way. You could easily make Mueller state park a national park - poke your head out of your tent and you are looking at a mountain range. There are also fully accessible cabins you can rent if not up to sleeping on dirt

Info on Mueller State Park here:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/parks/m...ellerHome.aspx

Comment

Getting more excited with every post I read here! My BF told me that if we're not already moved to Denver, "Just go!"

I do plan to carry my hard plastic AFO. I'll use it as soon as I need to. No sense breaking an ankle. I'm working on strengthening my right leg. And yes, am working the left as well. Would like to some day be able to rise from a low squat.

Any suggestions for strengthening the muscles that raise the leg? I don't expect to be 100% on this hike, but better than I am now would be nice. I'm healthy, just have weak legs.

Comment

How do you get to Carneigie Hall?

Sparky10:

Wish I had the secret universal answer to your question. Regrettably, I do not. With MS different things are going to work for different people - with no guarantee of course that any of them will work. This site is full of ideas and different techniques to utilize e.g. cross-fit, yoga, stretching etc.. My advice would be to find a physical therapist or trainer willing to adapt different techniques to find what works for you. And then persistently work at it.

I think though that one principle should always be adhered to. I once heard it said that if someone asks "what is the way to Carnegie Hall" (a famous performing arts place in New York), the response should be "practice, practice, practice" (i.e. to get good enough to be on that stage, you have to practice constantly). The same principle probably applies to many of us - how do we get that leg to move better? Practice, practice, practice That could be walking starting out at 5 minutes per day...then moving up to 10 mins, then 20, then 30. Or could be resistance band training of some sort...starting out with a small amount of time per day and then building up slowly.

Comment

I have a resistance band. Thinking about leg weights. Just got back from my half mile walk/jog and did not carry the hand weights. Since I was already out shoveling the tiny bit of snow I decided to go. I really missed the weights. They help as counter-weights to aid lifting my leg. I was really stumbling on the way back (1/4 mile out and back). I figure eventually leg weights might have a similar effect.

Comment

Ice in Dallas!

Where do you live again? I think you told me once - but have forgotten Interesting that you are scraping snow. Yes, am watching this weather front very carefully - saw pictures of planes being de-iced at Dallas/Fort Worth airport earlier. Thanksgiving Day looks

Comment

I'm in Iowa, Gary. We're expecting a beautiful Thanksgiving Day; currently 14o and expecting 28o. Clear skies!

Planning a move back to the Denver area in the near(?) future.

Comment

Working...
                                X