What Type Running Shoe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Type Running Shoe?

Hi everybody, am new here. I would like to know if there is a running shoe that is recommended for myself, female, who is overweight (Had gained weight last year while on some medication for a different matter also am working to lose the weight at the gym) and also tend to drag my right foot at times. I've only recently been diagnosed but want to keep active and have always enjoyed running. What would be the best running shoe to use?

Also, is the high vibration in the Powerplate okay for MS users? Thanks!
    Last edited by Stella; 04-14-2011, 04:38 AM.

I was hoping to get some tips or advice regarding my two questions about running shoes and the Power Plate. Since I didn't, after some research, I was between two running shoes - The first one was Brooks Ariel - which is a motion control running shoe for the heavier runner. The other one I have had my eye on was the Puma Faas 500, which is extremely attractive, comes in pink which I absolutely love and has had excellent reviews that say it could be for almost anyone. Which one did I settle for? I opted for the Puma. Reason being, I have been going to the gym to try to lose the weight I gained from last year and I have been successful before so I can do it again. Buying the Brooks Ariel would have meant that I was going to resolve myself to being heavy and that is not my aim. As I said, I have always enjoyed running throughout my life so I will not give it up while I can still run. I would love to hear from any runners (that have MS) and their experiences. Till then, I will wish myself the best of luck with my continued trek towards fitness and health.

Comment

Hi Stella,

I have MS and also love running. I am putting in nearly 40 miles per week on average. It looks like you found yourself a running shoe. Everyone's foot and running gait is different, so it's hard to recommend something. I use nutral cushion running shoes (adidas supernova cushion or asics nimbus seriers) because I underpronate a bit and have high, rigid arches. What's most important is that the shoe works for you and provides the support you need. I recommend you also try runner's world.com and use their shoe finder tool. Let me know if you need more advise about training and running while coping with MS. I'd love to give any feedback or advice that I can. Best of luck, John

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrushfan View Post
        Hi Stella,

I have MS and also love running. I am putting in nearly 40 miles per week on average. It looks like you found yourself a running shoe. Everyone's foot and running gait is different, so it's hard to recommend something. I use nutral cushion running shoes (adidas supernova cushion or asics nimbus seriers) because I underpronate a bit and have high, rigid arches. What's most important is that the shoe works for you and provides the support you need. I recommend you also try runner's world.com and use their shoe finder tool. Let me know if you need more advise about training and running while coping with MS. I'd love to give any feedback or advice that I can. Best of luck, John
        Hi John,

lovely to hear from you. That is extremely impressive putting on 40 miles a week! I am lucky enough if I put in 2 miles a day at the moment, lol. But will work on it to increase as I had stopped for a bit and need to get back into it. So far, so good, been trying to be consistent at the gym and use the treadmill for my runs because of the weather and it is much more convenient for me. I am a huge fan of Adidas and have quite a few different styles. It is one of my weaknesses, like some women like their hand bags, I like my my running shoes and have quite a collection already! I will definitely have a look at Runners World.com I do buy that magazine from time to time. Meant to ask you, how do you determine whether you are a overpronator or underpronator? or what type of gait you have or that you have high, high arches? Did you get checked by the podiatrist to find that out? At the moment, I basically just go for what is comfortable at the end of the day and stick to it. I bought some waterproof trainers a while back online and although they fit snug, after a couple of hours of wear, my feet were so achy. I thought maybe give them a few tries and try and break them in and they just kept feeling worse and worse so ended up just getting rid of them after having them sit in my closet for almost a year. Shame about them as they were so expensive too. Do you have a blog you keep about your running? I would be interested to follow it if you do. Also, are you a Big Rush Fan as in the band Rush? I noticed you are in Florida. I was in the U.S. Navy bootcamp in Orlando. I also have a friend that used to live in Hollywood, Florida. Everybody here in Britain is looking forward for the Royal Wedding, and it is an official holiday now. I just got off the phone with my mom and she said everybody is talking about it over there! Unbelievable... Thanks for your response and hope to hear from you again! Stella

Comment

Hi Stella,

Again, Runnersworld.com will give you the whole spiel on how to determine whether or not you over or underpronate or don't at all. You can start by checking the bottom of a pair of running shoes you have used the most and check for any wear patterns on the outside or inside of the sole. There is also a wet test explained on their web site that you can use to tell your arch type etc. I hope adidas will have a shoe that meets your needs. You guessed it. It is the band, and like running, Rush is another one of my great passions if life. My friends say I put the "fanatic" back in the term "fan". I thought it an apt user name at the time. Unfortunately, I am not much for blogging, twittering, or anything of the sort. This activemsers (a fantastic forum for people with MS I might add) site is about as far as I go in terms of social networks. I started a thread a few months ago for runners with MS, but so far no one has posted anything. I have a few races coming up, so maybe I will add something soon about my running experiences. I hope you continue with the running, and very glad to add you as a friend. Enjoy the royal wedding. Cheers, John

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrushfan View Post
            Hi Stella,

Again, Runnersworld.com will give you the whole spiel on how to determine whether or not you over or underpronate or don't at all. You can start by checking the bottom of a pair of running shoes you have used the most and check for any wear patterns on the outside or inside of the sole. There is also a wet test explained on their web site that you can use to tell your arch type etc. I hope adidas will have a shoe that meets your needs. You guessed it. It is the band, and like running, Rush is another one of my great passions if life. My friends say I put the "fanatic" back in the term "fan". I thought it an apt user name at the time. Unfortunately, I am not much for blogging, twittering, or anything of the sort. This activemsers (a fantastic forum for people with MS I might add) site is about as far as I go in terms of social networks. I started a thread a few months ago for runners with MS, but so far no one has posted anything. I have a few races coming up, so maybe I will add something soon about my running experiences. I hope you continue with the running, and very glad to add you as a friend. Enjoy the royal wedding. Cheers, John
            Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely check out Runnersworld.com and thanks for the advice. I thought so about Rush! Rush brings back memories of my high school years as I used to be into heavy metal like Led Zeppelin, Metallica to name a few (still listen to them) but my all time favorite is Aerosmith. It is so great to see Steve Tyler on American Idol. He still looks great as ever. I used to have the biggest crush on him, lol. I will look for that thread you posted a while back about runners and I wish you luck on your upcoming races. Please keep me informed of your progress. I will definitely be watching the Royal Wedding on TV since I didn't get an invite

All the best and take care,

Stella

Comment

Working...
            X