Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nanoparticles to stop multiple sclerosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanoparticles to stop multiple sclerosis?

This story has been making the rounds lately. It is encouraging, but it is important to remember that the mouse model of MS (EAE) is not the equivalent to the human version and positive results do not always translate. - Dave

Nov. 18, 2012 -- Researchers say they've been able to use nanoparticles to stop multiple sclerosis (MS) in mice that are bred to have the disease.

The particles are about 200 times smaller than the thickness of a human hair. They are made from the same material that's used to create dissolving stitches.

When researchers attach specific proteins to the particles, they say they're able to teach the body not to attack its own tissues.

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...or-treating-ms
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Nanoparticles are going to revolutionize the medical world, very exciting stuff.
    Of course though, even if something works in animal models, it's likely still many years away before it will be offered as a treatment to humans.
    exciting nevertheless.

Comment

Cool! I look forward to following this study. It is encouraging. I know it's years down the line but I got nothin' but time

Comment

Working...
      X