ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > Forums > Dave's SCT Journey

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
ActiveMSers's Avatar
ActiveMSers ActiveMSers is online now
Dave @ ActiveMSers
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,068
Red face #2 ADMISSION: shaving head, rabbits, hydration, IV love, sleep deprivation, showers

I'll be recapping my full stem cell transplant in a series of posts....

#2 ADMISSION: shaving head, rabbits, hydration, IV love, sleep deprivation, showers

I got the call that a bed was ready on the afternoon of March 18. I was prepared except for one fuzzy detail: I had to visit Salon de Laura, since I was advised prior to admission to cut my nails (no clippers allowed in the hospital) and shave the noggin (no razors allowed, either). I learned a valuable lesson about having your spouse cut your hair. When she says “hold on for just a sec” midway through the cut, beware that she may grab a camera to take an unflattering photo of you. Not that Laura would ever do that… (PIC).

Within hours of arriving at the hospital I learned another valuable lesson: don’t joke with nurses. Especially about poo. See, they have to record ALL bodily output of every patient, and when that output is of the stinky variety, patients need to alert them in a timely fashion lest the stink fester. I tried to be funny. But when “clean up Aisle 7” got a resounding “huh?” I explained that a rabbit had infiltrated my room and left some droppings. They almost called animal control (or a psychiatrist, I’m not sure which)—and my reputation was forever sealed (“so you’re the rabbit guy”).

Home for the next three weeks was room G1138 in the southwest pod of the super clean “green zone” on the 11th floor of the MD Anderson Cancer Center (PIC). And I had Laura there 24-7. She slept on a Murphy bed and essentially never left my side. I owe her, like, forever.

For the entire time I was in the hospital, I was constantly attached to my IV pole. Eating, sleeping, exercising, showering, pottying. Nurses would check on me hourly during the day and vitals were done every four hours regardless. I also had seemingly constant visits from doctors, PTs, exercise coordinators, dieticians, social workers, volunteers, ministers, and food-services folks. Even evenings were not a time for much rest, with visits at 10 pm, 2 am, and 6 am, plus blood work done at 4 am. And since they were hydrating the hell out of my kidneys (I ballooned 15 pounds to 180 in week one), add in hourly or so peeing. And the best part? I was labeled a fall risk, so I had to alert a nurse every time I had to use the facilities, especially at night. And by facilities, I mean bedside commode, because I could not get into the bathroom with my walker—it was too narrow. I entered the bathroom only to shower (PIC).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houston SCT 116.jpg (82.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Houston SCT 080.jpg (94.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Houston SCT 148.jpg (87.0 KB, 41 views)
Dave Bexfield
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.