Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet MSer killed by assassins on TV show!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet MSer killed by assassins on TV show!?

I was catching up on my recorded episodes of Breaking Bad (on AMC Sunday nights), when they cut to a woman in a scooter getting into her handicapped-equipped van. Hey, she probably has MS, I thought. Cool, exposure for our disease!

And then these twin assassins showed up, meaning she was going to be killed (which they thankfully did not show). Ah, well. In the next scene, her van was being used to transport a wheelchair-bound drug lord.

Where am I going with this? Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV. It’s not only filmed in my home town of Albuquerque, it’s also set in Albuquerque. Here’s a bit about the Emmy award-winning show (which features an engaging and sometimes violent story with dark humor mixed in, think Sopranos meets Pulp Fiction) according to its website:

“Breaking Bad follows protagonist Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemistry teacher who lives in New Mexico with his wife (Anna Gunn) and teenage son (RJ Mitte) who has cerebral palsy. White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given a prognosis of two years left to live. With a new sense of fearlessness based on his medical prognosis, and a desire to secure his family's financial security, White chooses to enter a dangerous world of drugs and crime and ascends to power in this world. The series explores how a fatal diagnosis such as White's releases a typical man from the daily concerns and constraints of normal society and follows his transformation from mild family man to a kingpin of the drug trade.”

Is anyone else here as addicted to this show as I am? Y'all need to Netflix this (season 1 and 2). It's more movie-like than TVish and the storyline is refreshingly unpredictable. But if stress works up your MS symptoms, um, you might want to pass....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
    I was catching up on my recorded episodes of Breaking Bad (on AMC Sunday nights), when they cut to a woman in a scooter getting into her handicapped-equipped van. Hey, she probably has MS, I thought. Cool, exposure for our disease!

Ya know, if the LOST series has shown us anything (which btw is my favorite series) is that the person in the wheelchair did not necessarily get there because of MS.

Personally, I don't want the public to heavily associate a wheelchair, crutch aor cane with M.S. But it seems of late that whenever they have someone in a wheelchair or walking around with one or two crutches, they go out of their way to say it's M.S.

However, notable exceptions to this TV trend, besides Locke in Lost, are or have been: Dr. G. House, in House, Dr. Weaver in ER, Dr. Robbins in CSI, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X