Oh Baby! Here we go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Baby! Here we go...

Ok all- first game of actual ice hockey tonight as an MSer! i’m very nervous but excited...i’ll Post how it goes...

The update after game 1:

-like Bambi on ice for the first 20 minutes or so
    -balance and coordination big time issue (prob combination of lack of skating and ms related issues)
    -paradox: got somewhat better in terms of balance as the game went on, until muscular endurance affected the balance (if that makes sense)
    -took a couple of extremely funny spills (thank god for helmets)
    -took a 12 hour Advil 2 hrs before
    -guys on the teams were extremely supportive and understanding
    -I SCORED A GOAL (lucky chance)
    -going again (because I know the skating can improve)

In my experience with MS, it’s almost like you have to reteach and retrain your body into doing the things that you love again, knowing and understanding you’ll never get back to what you were before, but you’ll get to a point where you can enjoy it again!

Comment

Amazing! Hope you give yourself a big pat on the back.

You are completely right about re-learning. Our nervous system has a good memory. We just have to keep helping it remember.

Keep posting!

Teena Marie

Comment

Well done, GongShow! I read your post...smiling thru the whole thing and gave you two thumbs up at the end (really, I did!!). I can feel your elation!

Glad you’re gonna keep it going... I look forward to the reports! 👍🏼👍🏼
        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Thanks for all the support!!! That word is so essential for everyone with MS- it helps us try to at least take back something we’ve lost!

Comment

Awesome! So excited for you! A balance board regimen might help while you do similar hockey hand and arm moves to retrain brain and bring back your muscle memory. keep it up!!!

Comment

Hey thanks- balance board might be a great thing to do regularly!

Comment

Good for you for going for it! I am sure it will get better every time out.
                Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

GongShow, this is awesome. And if Bruce Orpik can score a GW goal in the Stanley Cup, anything is possible. Way to go! And keep it up.
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

This thread has made me, newly diagnosed, so happy and hopeful - thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                    X