ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Question Uhthoff's, optic neuritis & mountain biking

Hi All,
I'm 2 months in to recovering from optic neuritis & have about 95% vision back, for which I am immensely grateful.
Every time whilst out running, Uhthoff renders me monocular again, which is manageable on the road or trail on foot.
I would like to return to mountain biking soon, but don't know how I will deal with with changing vision as depth perception & judging speed goes out the window!
Will Uhthoff's continue like this? Do I just have to be patient & let it 'heal'? Or do I need to learn how to adapt to this regularly changing visual ability?
Any tips are very welcome.
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM
MS Whisperer

Glad things are on the upswing. Hard to say when that symptom stops. You may try cooling. Cold shower before, wear an ice vest, sip ice water, keep wet if temperature requires,etc. There's an excellent review of ice vest here and plenty of posts throughout.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Teena Marie
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Thanks for the rapid response, Teena Marie!

The thought of an ice vest sends shivers down my spine!

I have zero cash at the moment as I've had so much time off work recently, but I will try the iced water tip. I'll try filling my hydration bladder in my rucksack with ice cubes & water & will see how that goes....and maybe pedal slowly to begin with...

I'll let you know how it goes - will try & get out on the trails over Easter weekend.

Ta
Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM
MS Yoda

In addition to what TM said, particularly the pre-cooling which is a trick even the cycling pro's use to beat the heat, here's a compilation from a previous thread:

Keep moving. There is such a thing as “resting on the bike”, lower the intensity of the effort but keep pedaling to maintain airflow and its cooling effect. Maintaining airflow can be key to staying cool on a bike.

Stop in the shade. Try not to stop any longer than necessary to grab a breath, a pee, a bite or a drink. The longer the stop, the harder it can be to get going again. Even the ambient warm air temp in the shade sucks out nerve function.

Under dress. Dress more for the expected high temperature than the starting temperature. If it’s really cold wear removable arm and leg warmers, use proper cycling clothes that are generally designed for comfort and cooling.

Helmet. A helmet with larger air flow vents seems to be a cooler solution than helmets with more numerous smaller vents. Squirt water on your head frequently.

Water. Carry over sized water bottles. When it really gets hot pour water on yourself. On hot days soak yourself whenever you refill your bottles. Also, as it gets hotter drink more. It makes you pee a lot but the cyclists’ adage is, "if you’re not peeing, you’re not drinking enough" and it’s all the truer for an MSer.

Heat conditioning. By not avoiding rising temperatures during training you may be able to condition yourself to tolerate a slightly higher temperature range. Use caution, it can get pretty uncomfortable and can be devastating.

Cold liquids to cool the core, if you can get liquids with electrolites but not much sugar, all the better. It's amazing how much this helps.

Stay close to civilization, if it really gets bad look for AC.

An evaporative cooling shirt like the Izi Dry Pro, can also help but be aware that it may require frequent recharging. Recharging is not a big deal with these shirts, it merely uses water and the water doesn't even have to be cold.

Arm coolers are another choice in the cooling device category. They are thin white removable sleeves that protect your arms from the sun and are very wicking. Squirt cold water on them from time to time, this significantly helps with cooling.

Just a few things to try, good luck,

Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 03-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Those who want to research could Google "Oleanolic acid protects optic nerve"

Oleanolic and Oleanic are the same thing, different spelling.

Also, then Google "NU ZHEN ZI". It is a Chinese herb we call glossy privet and is available online. Some people take it based on the above referenced studies hoping to strengthen the optic nerve.

It is a common supplement in China. My wife has taken it daily for about one year. Whether it helps is difficult to measure. But preventing deterioration is a worthy goal, also.

Magic pills do not exist. But it may help the optic nerve for some people based on published research.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:11 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Larry - thanks for all those tips!

I am in the UK, so it only gets hot is we actually have a summer, which is never guaranteed! My helmet needs replacing now, anyway, so thanks for the reminder - I have what we refer to as a 'p*ss-pot' helmet at the moment, so I'll go back to the well vented lightweight models instead.

I went out for an 8 mile trail run in the rain & howling wind yesterday (8 degrees, celsius, about 46F?) in a vest, thin long sleeve top & capri pants, and my eye still 'whited out'. I may just have to try & train my brain to deal with changing visual input if I want to get back on the bike.

myoak - thanks for the info. I can't find any evidence-base for neuroprotection (or other activity on neurons) by oleanolic/oleanic acid, Nu Zhen Zi, or Fructus Ligustri lucidi in my literature searches. It looks as though many Chinese research groups are trying to substantiate its prolonged use by testing different extracts in cell culture (and alarmingly in animal models), but without a huge amount of success.

I found a very recent review, but can't access the full paper as it is behind a paywall:

Nat Prod Res. 2015;29(6):493-510. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2014.954114. Epub 2014 Sep 23.

Ligustri lucidi fructus as a traditional Chinese medicine: a review of its phytochemistry and pharmacology.
Gao L1, Li C, Wang Z, Liu X, You Y, Wei H, Guo T.

Abstract
Ligustri lucidi fructus (LLF) is the fruits of Ligustrum lucidum Ait. (Oleaceae). This review based on nearly 80 literary sources discusses the knowledge of chemistry and biological effects of this species. Several types of chemical constituents considered as the characteristic and active constituents from LLF were isolated including 40 triterpenoids, 48 iridoids, 10 flavones, 10 phenylethanoid glycosides and others. Various extracts and individual compounds derived from this species have been found to possess a variety of pharmacological effects, e.g. anti-tumour, hepatoprotective, immune regulating, antioxidative and anti-ageing effects, anti-inflammation and reducing hypercholesterolaemia effects and so on. The results of data analysis on the chemical, pharmacological characteristics of LLF support the view that this species has many therapeutic properties and indicate its potential as an effective herbal remedy. Finally, some suggestions for further research on chemical and pharmacological properties are given in this review. Theoretical basis was given for further exploiting and utilising LLF.
KEYWORDS:
Ligustri Lucidi Fructus; biological effects; phytochemistry
PMID: 25244978 [PubMed - in process]

Good luck to your wife, though. I hope it works for her.

Ta

Juliet
Old 04-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Default Borrowing equipment

If you can't afford to buy a cooling vest or other cooling products contact your MS Society. They will likely have funds to buy equipment for you or they might have equipment they can loan to you.

The best cooling towels I've found are Mission Enduracool sports towels available in many sports outlets in the USA, harder to find here in Canada.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

With heat in full swing in the Northern Hemisphere, this topic is, well, rather hot. Bumping.