ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Half marathon this weekend

Well, I have been training hard and I am suppose to run a half-marathon this weekend.

My training has been going well this season, but a change of orthotics caused me some problems. My doctor is working with me and has sent my custom made orthotics back to the Lab.

In the meantime I am having foot pain and I was told NOT to run until I do not have pain in my foot. I don't know how long this will take.

Based on x-rays if I keep training I could get a stress fracture to my foot.

I am so upset. But, my main goal is a marathon early next year, so I am trying to keep this in mind.

I would appreciate any prayers, etc. I really want to run again, soon. It's so important to me. It's one of the few times that I can try to*forget* I have MS and feel pretty *normal*.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
MS Sage

Default Foot pain and running

Dear MSrunner-
I feel your pain. It is very hard to train for a race and not be able to run. If your foot hurts, it really isn't a great idea to run right now. It is great that your doc is working with you on the orthotic. Your real goal is a full marathon, so don't lose sight of that. Once your foot stops hurting, you can resume your training.
I am training for a half in April and seem to have hit a brick wall. Today I had to call my DH to come get me after running about 5 miles. I then fell asleep for 2 hours when I returned home. I guess I am training too hard at the moment.
Right now, be patient. It sounds like you have done a great job with your training. What training method are you using? I am using the Jeff Galloway run/walk method.
Good luck
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Thank you for your words of wisdow. I really appreciate them.

I'm sorry you are having problems. Besides my foot problem I have the really bad fatigue that you get from MS. I don't get it while I am running, but later that day or especially the next day. That's when my body feels like I got ran over.

I am training with a local running group and we do 5/1's. So, we use the Jeff Galloway training method. It's the only way I can run long distance.

I'm sorry about your run experience yesterday.