easing back into fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easing back into fitness

For me, I had to get back slowly after my 1st relapse (very traumatic). I finally found the Alan Bowling book Complementary & Alternative Medicine in MS. It was recommended by doctors fwiw. I decided to try everything in there until I found something that worked for me.
    Physical therapy has been a dream - especially because I do a lot of Pilates! I found that most helpful, a lot of strength-building "from the core." It really makes me feel stronger & gives me the courage to take more risks physically which was a big psychological hurdle for me. I also do acupuncture & saw a nutritionist who put me on a gluten-free diet. It seems to help with fatigue (but my current pregnancy is messing with that right now!). Once my OB gives me the all-clear to exercise, I hope to be back to physical therapy, Pilates, yoga & biking. I think I finally understand that I don't need to push myself so hard. Before MS, exercise meant no pain, no gain. Now I need to take it more slowly. I can actually enjoy the activity more - not so focussed on pushing myself. Do it for the fun instead. Tennis has been a new pastime. I like it b/c I can regulate the fast/slow, hard/soft. My husband is accomodating Being a competitive person, it's a real paradigm shift.

Other fitness ideas...

So, I "pulled the disability card" and joined our local senior center! No, I'm not "old enough" but there's a great YOGA class -- and I find the instructor open to those of us who can't do all the poses! (for whatever reason!) And being "young" at a senior center is great for self-impage!

Agree that recumbant bikes are great -- and I can sit there, cycle, and laugh at the men flexing their boobs at each other!

Best exercise for me? Swimming laps and aquaerobics! Swimming is helping retrain my brain - so my balance is better and I haven't tripped (lately). Also does not put any pressure on sore legs or hips! Aquaerobics is also lovely -- you stay cool in the water, it doesn't hurt, and no fear of drowning as we stand in the water!

Best, Caitlin

Comment

I agree Pilates is really good, really helps with balance and core strength. I also use a personal trainer, she has me doing all sorts of "different" exercises to help with balance. For example, doing arm curls standing on one leg.

Most importantly listen to your body, don't push too hard. As the title states "ease" into it.

Comment

Working...
      X