stomach problems with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach problems with MS

I need some help with a question I have. What do you do about severe constipation as a result of MS. Patient cannot feel muscles, etc. in stomach.
    His neuro said it is caused by one of the atrophied nerves leading to his intestines. His neuro also stated constipation is a result of all his meds...... Patient has tried several different laxatives and nothing seems to work. This is a constant problem he has and we were wondering how other patients handle this concern. I greatly appreciate your help.

Stomach problems

I have always had problems with constipation but over the last year it has been horrible. My gastroenterologist prescribed me miralax. I take it once a day and eat and apple every other day and 4 prunes the days I don't eat an apple. Overall it does pretty good but still have to take a laxative about twice a month. Also have problems leaking stool, so I wear a pad all the time. This has saved me so many times. I think next time I travel on a plane I may try the diapers since when I'm stressed about using a public bathroom and how fast I can get to it, my leaking always gets worse. Hope this helps. It is an embarrasing problem.

Comment

That is really something. I have the opposite problem. Sometimes I think I may have IBS at times. Although it seems the standard for MS is the constipation. I often feel paranoid at the thought of going out and the panic of finding a toilet in time and having an accident is always on my mind even though I have never had an accident to date. Perhaps I am the exception to the regular symptoms for MS?

Comment

I manage constipation a few different ways. I've gradually upped my daily fiber (although still short of the 30+ g a day recommended for men), I drink lots of fluids, take a stool softener nightly, and before bed I massage my abdomen.

To do the massage, lie on your back and start just to the left of your right hip, then work your way slowly up over your belly button and then back down to just inside your left hip. Use moderate pressure. I do this a few times.

Miralax helps when things get too gummed up, but I haven't taken any in a long time. Good luck; I hope this helps your patient.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Over the counter laxative is the key for me...

Since last major relapse 4 years ago now have suffered from what is called an "anal motility disorder" - basically, my muscles down there not acting as expected causing stool to get held back from exiting....until all of a sudden the urge for a rather large dump takes over.

Tried bio feedback for a while to strengthen muscles in that area in the hope that would provide some more control. But..no luck.

In the hours preceding the major urgency, was very hard to control flatulence and noises emerging. Came very close to a few embarrassing episodes while at work in this regard.

Then hit upon the idea of re-training my bowels to have a bowel movement first thing in the morning through taking an over the counter suppository to, well, dump things out before the day started.

This has worked really well. Not at the point yet where I have a bowel movement with the suppository, but no longer have risk of flatulence , embarrassing noises and sudden exits from a meeting to take care of business. I also wear a piece of underwear that helps to retain and nicely filter any gas that may seep out during the day.

Comment

It's Miralax for me!

I exercise at least every other daiy, drink plenty of water, eat fiber and take Miralax. I 've also done biofeedback, which certainly inspired confidence and had a coloscopy to check for problems. Nothing, except maybe a "touch" of ibs (?).
            I definitly think this is MS related. I've never heard the term "anal motility disorder" but I'm going to google it now. The symptoms that are described sound right.

Comment

Working...
            X