ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
MS Whisperer

This is fantastic news Dave, I am so glad you're able to get out there.

I know I hate hills, but the issues of a 2 wheel bike on the hills are non-existent.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM
MS Whisperer

I have to say that I LOVE getting to go outside on my trike my motivation for the trainer, yoga, etc are crappy.

On Friday I did 15 and on Sunday 25. I am happy with that but pretty annoyed at my lack of motivation elsewhere. It annoys me so much as right now I CAN but am just NOT. No reason really. Gah!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
MS Yoda

Got out for the first ride since the NM MS 150 yesterday. No sooner did I get warmed up than I heard a few short hills calling my name and had to go check them out. I think you are really on to something Teena Marie with the mindful movement approach to regaining function. I at least thought I could really feel differences in my legs as I powered up those hills mindfully moving from slow to slower to not as slow. Kind of a new experience. I'd be honored to meet up in your dreams anytime.

Veronica, thanks, seems we both enjoy reading and writing the stories. Although medical science may not have specifically discovered it yet, reading and writing are undoubtedly good brain exercise too. Which reminds me, there is a pretty good article on "Maximizing Brain Health" in the Fall volume of InforMS magazine, worth a read. http://catalog.proemags.com/publicat...3c#/b860b13c/1

Pell, the donut ride sounds like fun but, although I'm sure you're past it by now, I'm still digesting the image of those "stale, large, slimy glazed donuts". Ive finished all of my planned events for the year, how about you?

Marina, like you, I'm having trouble doing anything other than get out and ride. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the days getting shorter and the end of the season growing closer? Are you still doing an MS ride this year?

Dave, ain't it just grand?

Cool group, thanks for keeping me going,
Larry
Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM
MS Yoda

Default Time Out

Quick note, off to yoga in 10. I took a little time out to get a pedicure the other day, conned the hot blond yoga chick into taking me, felt like I needed a guide on my maiden excursion.

It's on my top 10 list of decadent self indulgences now. It'll never overtake the afternoon nap of course and it's not above a good massage either but it is one of those wonderful things. Except for the occasional message therapist, almost nobody other than me, has ever touched those toes, well - there was that whole toe sucking thing back in the early 70's, but that doesn't really count anyway.

It's been a good summer, give yourself a treat,

AMF
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Optimistic Misfit

AMF, thank you for the kind words. It is great to see you every year at the ride. Has it already been a couple of weeks since Pedal los Pueblos? Where does the time go? Oh yeah, it goes to work, family, and Ironman training. Not much time for anything else!

The Puye Cliff addition to this year's ride was wonderful. I enjoyed this out and back section (and the rest stop at the top!) and was secretly thrilled to not have to climb Truchas.

Maggie and the volunteers did another amazing job throughout the entire weekend. Dave, loved your presentation and video, sorry I missed seeing you and the new trike!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 AM
MS Whisperer

Hi all! Just to give you all a chuckle for this Monday.....my friends I rode with on Saturday decided, when they were waiting ahead for me, on my nickname/ theme song....."Low Rider" .....
"Low rider don't use no gas now, low rider don't drive too fast."....... ey, yay, yay...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
MS Whisperer

Larry - My MS ride was in June and I did not participate this year (I got my trike 2 weeks before hand but it was the catalyst for getting it, as I was so bitter about Steve doing MY ride with MY team and me sitting out for the 3rd year in a row).

I do wonder if the shorter days have something to do with my motivation issues. I was away visiting family for a week and after a week of fried food and little exercise I am feeling a little more like some yoga and other stuff, still hating the trainer though. I just hate to waste the time I have and it turns into a giant negative feedback loop of fail.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 AM
MS Sage

Larry- I have been trying to get my DH to get a pedicure with no success. I agree that it is one of the nicest decadent self indulgences.
Marina- I hear you on the lack of motivation. I can't seem to do anything except bike. My yoga card is about to expire, my abs are weak, but I don't care. I think the weather has something to do with it. It is just too nice out to go inside.
This has definitely been the year of the bike for me. On Saturday I did my 6th century for the year and 5 of them were on the single bike. I have ridden well over 3000 miles this season and am currently the top female mileage rider in our cycling club. We did do another donut ride- this one from our house to Frank's donuts in a nearby town. Those donuts are definitely worth the ride.
Another month in the cycling season- maybe 500 more miles...
Pell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg franks donuts sept 28n.jpg (38.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 AM
MS Whisperer

Hi all,

Work has been getting in the way of training as well as a drop in temperature which has hampered my outdoor swimming. Although cold water has magical effects on my body, I get too cold so that climbing up the ladder is a challenge. I think it's time to get the indoor pool operational. I looked at the wetsuit option but they are true torture devices when it comes to getting it on.

It looks like great training all around although I detect that change of season feeling for many of us. 2 weeks ago when the weather became cold, I was really in the dumps. It's a transition time for sure.

Pell, the donut rides sound truly bizarre. I'm glad the last ride was an improvement but I can't think of a more unhealthy food to pair with cycling!

Larry, pedicures are the best. Most men dismiss them as too girly. Good for you to experience the benefit.

Dave, this is long overdue. Congratulations on the triking.

Take care all and continue with the marvelous training,

Teena Marie
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM
MS Whisperer

Random Tip Teeny.... I like to scuba dive but getting a wet suit on (wet, dry, whichever) is the worse struggle ever. I got an item like this... http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-4...-pqxoCCRTw_wcB and it just slips on and off. So much better.