BLOG: Testing Arm and Leg Powered Trikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOG: Testing Arm and Leg Powered Trikes

The moment I start cranking, feelings of liberation, glee, freedom overpowered my multiple sclerosis. MS, what MS? And then in the next moment, feelings of terror and dread took over. For the first time I was “pedaling” a hand-powered adult trike. The breeze of speed weaved its way through the vents of my bike helmet, its strap still crusty with five-year-old sweat from my last ride on a two-wheeled bicycle. All was right with the world. Until, that is, I reached cruising speed, when I realized that I had overlooked one minor item. How to stop this particular hand-powered adult trike.

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2014...-on-trike.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I think I may need to start thinking about a trike... I currently ride a road bike....a Bike Friday that I had custom made for me just two years ago as I thought this would help with the mounting and dismounting. And it has, but lately this season, I am aware of my anxiety building when I am going for a ride since clicking on and off, and landing on my foot are maneuvers that are getting dicey and scary. My right leg is the goofy one. And hill climbing is also something I crave, but dread as I know that if I go too slow, I can't click off fast enough and will just fall over like that guy from Laugh In years ago... ( oh, wait, he WAS on a trike, wasn't he?? ) Anyway, intersection are also something I avoid, so I have been limited to rail trails that either do not have cross streets, or area where I have the ability to judge traffic and keep rolling before I cross. But I don't want to keep doing this, and am starting to feel like a mouse on a wheel. I think I have been limiting myself with trying to make the traditional way work.... and it's not... SO.....my questions.....with all the tests that you did, which trike do you think I should look into? Here are some factors: I'm only 5 foot, want to be able to load the trike into my car, want a foot powered machine and am not a millionaire...... Any suggestions???
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Veronica, I hear you are trying out trikes. Awesome! When I tried out folding trikes at my local dealer, I found out they don't fold much, and when they do, they are a pain in the rear to make smaller. Even though it doesn't fold, check out the Catrike Pocket. It's small enough to fit in the back of most SUVs and hatchbacks.

Right now the only truly foldable trike that I know of that can fit into the trunk of a car is the e2 by Edge Recumbents. I hope to be testing one soon, and if it impresses, I'll work to arrange a discount for members. Keep us posted on your quest for a trike!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I just heard from Edge. They are powder-coating the first five bikes for customers in the US and should be shipping them in the coming week. Once they are out the door, a prototype should be heading my direction.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X