Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wrote my Senators (and cc'ed the Prez)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wrote my Senators (and cc'ed the Prez)

Why am I bugging the biggest of America's politicians? To tell them my personal story about the NIH-sponsored clinical trial I'm participating in, which was de-funded because of budget cuts. There's little chance Phase III will happen if the proposed slices take effect.

The MS Society also tells it well....

On Sat. February 19, the House of Representatives passed the Continuing Resolution (CR) for the remainder of FY 2011 (H.R. 1) by a vote of 235 to 189. The CR includes a $1.6 billion cut in NIH funding from the FY 2010 level. This is a 5.2% cut from last year and would reduce the NIH budget all the way down to the 2008 funding level. Furthermore, if enacted, the entire cut would have to be absorbed in the remaining months of Fiscal Year 2011 (between now and September 30) – significantly intensifying the impact of the reduction. Click below to read more and to contact your local Senators.
    http://capwiz.com/nmss/issues/alert/...39511&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I heard back from Senator Bingaman. I don't know if this is a canned letter to everyone who urges NIH funding, but still, pretty cool. And I certainly didn't expect an e-mail back, so double props to Jeff and his aides.

Dear Mr. Bexfield:

Thank you for contacting me regarding funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH). I appreciate your taking the time to write.

While I am not a member of the Appropriations Committee, I understand the importance of this issue and I will keep your comments in mind as the Senate moves through the appropriations process. I agree that medical research is an essential tool in our effort to combat disease, which is why I have continually supported increased funding for the NIH, the federal focal point for medical research in the United States . The goal of NIH research is to acquire new knowledge to help prevent, detect, diagnose, and treat disease and disability. To this end, I supported the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which provides $10 billion to the NIH. I believe this funding will be critical to health care research.

Again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to keep me informed of issues of importance to you.

Sincerely,

JEFF BINGAMAN
    United States Senator
    Phone: (202) 224-5521
    Toll-free in NM: 1-800-443-8658
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Now I just got a call from Sen. Udall's office. The staffer thanked me for my letter, talked about the video and my procedure, and said they were working to keep the NIH funding intact. I hurried her off the phone—don't waste any more time on me! Just save the darn funding.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X