Motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation

This showed up in my inbox a couple of weeks ago. It's the American College of Sports Medicine summer journal. This quarters journal deals with motivation and staying motivated. An important issue for the MSer particularly in the dog days of summer.

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...entDisplay.cfm

Hi Larry,

thanks for posting that journal. It was very interesting and motivation is something I have been lacking lately. I will definitely take on board the sound advice and strive for my fitness goals!

Comment

Stella, Larry,

Good, clear and concise summary of motivational tips here. The one that rings true for me always is setting reasonable workout goals. In doing so, you set yourself up for psychological success which is extremely important. The summer heat has zapped me a few times already. If it’s bad enough, I adjust my running goal for that day to something I know I can complete without too much difficulty. For me, a bad workout is sometimes harder to swallow mentally than accepting an easier day than planned. I live to run faster and farther another day is my motto.

John

Comment

John and Stella,
        Glad you found the ACSM journal useful, it's been one of my favorite sources of information for a long time now.

One of the things I personally find motivational is to develop a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on in the body physiologically with exercise. I can frequently relate that with what benefit I might expect WRT my MS (or at least I like to think I can). Anyway, along those lines, this is another ACSM journal that lists research articles having to do with sports medicine. For the most part only the abstracts are available but for the layman, although the reading can be a bit dense, that's usually enough. So for what it's worth,
        http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pages/currenttoc.aspx

Larry

Comment

Larry,

Thanks; it was well worth it indeed. I opened several abstacts and found a number of studies interesting and relevant to my running and trying to stay fit with MS. Another postive vote for caffeine consumption and exercise, and I also enjoyed the study on orthotics and runners.

John

Comment

Hi Larry & John,

Speaking of orthotics, my physio referred me to orthotics and my appointment is tomorrow. I still haven't got a clue what I will get out of it or why I was referred. I will soon find out I suppose....

Comment

F Y I

This month’s ACSM research journal. There are a couple of good studies having to do with the effects of endurance and ultra-endurance exercise.
              http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/neo/lau...=2vi9iktd47q26

Stella, just to let you know, I'm a big believer in orthotics. For the first couple of years after I started biking I couldn't stand on my pedals at all, I had a serious foot drop problem that caused my right leg to just collapse whenever I tried. Through some unrelated venue, I saw a PT who gave me a plastic lower leg brace. I just happened to try that brace while biking one day and presto, what do you know, I could complete a couple of revolutions while standing on the pedals. Today I don't need the brace anymore. There probably was another way I could have accomplished that task but it's hard to beat "presto". Also, if the MS is affecting your gait you could be inflicting joint damage with your body's natural compensation. IMHO, anything we can do to prevent joint damage is worth while. Interested to hear what the orthotics person recommended.

John, have you been running any events recently?

Comment

Hi Larry,

thanks for your response. That really is inspiring to hear about how the plastic lower leg brace helped you and that now you don't need it. Funnily enough, I went to my appointment this afternoon and it turns out, I was referred because the physio thinks I have foot drop (my neuro said it was only spasticity) and I was fitted with a plastic lower leg brace for my right leg. So your foot drop has disappeared Larry? I have been wondering if once you have foot drop if your leg can ever go back to normal? I remember reading somewhere that someone had foot drop when they had a relapse but it went away after the relapse. So it makes me wonder.... By the way, what does IMHO mean? Also, I could not get into that new link you posted as it brings up Yahoo mail. Thanks Larry!

Comment

Sorry about the link, try this one:
                  http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pages/currenttoc.aspx

Stella, yes, the leg brace made it possible for me to strengthen the lower leg to the point that I didn't need the brace any more and, in the process, helped the foot drop tremendously. It took a couple of years though and on a hot day with a lot of walking I still get pretty severe foot drop. So, in my humble opinion (IMHO), it still takes some work to get the foot drop under control.

Wish I could find a magic bullet for the hip flexors now.
                  Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Larry,

I have been feeling great and doing a lot of running these past weeks. My last event was a half marathon back in early May in Skopje. Right now I am training to run my second full marathon this coming October in Istanbul. Unfortunately, my employment situation in Kosovo is up in the air after August so I have not committed just yet. We’ll see. My motivation level is rather high right now.

Although I experienced two separate micro flare ups while running on the treadmill this past winter --events that led me to this forum-- that approached drop foot, I have not had a full relapse yet. I use custom, orthotic inserts in my running shoes to counter a previous bout of plantar fasciitis. That said, there is no doubt that the inserts give me additional support that helps stabilize my gait and maintain balance. It’s no wonder that some doctors are prescribing them for patients with MS and foot/numbness issues.

Thanks again for sharing the above medical studies. I do read them when I make the time.

What's the issue with your hip flexors? I have had IT band issues in my hip many years ago. That's a seperate issue, but I know a lot of good stretches/exercises.

John

Comment

Thanks Larry for reposting the link. They really are very interesting articles. After hearing your experience with your ankle brace, I am hoping it works for me as well. At least I know it took about two years for you and not to expect overnight results.

John, I admire you so much for all you have achieved with your running goals. I also enjoy hearing your stories. I am particularly interested in the orthotic inserts you mentioned. Did you have to get fitted with them? I wish I had known about them when I went to the orthotist so maybe he would have given me some to try. At least now I know and perhaps next time, will inquire about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrushfan View Post
                        Hi Larry,

I have been feeling great and doing a lot of running these past weeks. My last event was a half marathon back in early May in Skopje. Right now I am training to run my second full marathon this coming October in Istanbul. Unfortunately, my employment situation in Kosovo is up in the air after August so I have not committed just yet. We’ll see. My motivation level is rather high right now.

Although I experienced two separate micro flare ups while running on the treadmill this past winter --events that led me to this forum-- that approached drop foot, I have not had a full relapse yet. I use custom, orthotic inserts in my running shoes to counter a previous bout of plantar fasciitis. That said, there is no doubt that the inserts give me additional support that helps stabilize my gait and maintain balance. It’s no wonder that some doctors are prescribing them for patients with MS and foot/numbness issues.

Thanks again for sharing the above medical studies. I do read them when I make the time.

What's the issue with your hip flexors? I have had IT band issues in my hip many years ago. That's a seperate issue, but I know a lot of good stretches/exercises.

John
                        Hey John, I did a VO2 test earlier this year that included strength testing and foot/gait analysis. Turned out my right leg was quite a bit weaker than my left, the hip flexor, which was not directly tested, probably exhibits the greatest difference. That is all the result of the MS. I ended up with a weight training program for the leg strength differences but haven't had a chance to implement it yet because I sort of over committed to bike events this year, hopefully this winter.

The difference between what the sports physiologist recommended and what I normally do was to put more emphasis on lifting heavy weights with fewer reps. His reasoning was that the heavier the weight, the more neural activity is required. I'll certainly let people know if I perceive a significant improvement but if experience is any indicator, I think it could take a couple of seasons of concerted effort before I can tell.

I'm feeling good too. I find I have to put in quite a bit of time to maintain that feeling but I enjoy the cycling so it's a pleasure to do that. I also think I've gained slightly in speed if not strength this year and at 61 years old with MS, I consider any gain success.

If you ever get a chance, I’d highly recommend a VO2 test. Finding your heart rate zones and implementing a program that uses them effectively can lead to larger gains with less effort. Like most people, I was guilty of pushing too hard. I've got to say, I definately feel better when I don't do that.

A marathon in Istanbul sounds incredible, hope the job holds out, I’d really like to hear about that. How’s the air in Istanbul?

Larry

Comment

Talk about motivation. Perhaps many of you caught this article already. Some great people doing great things and staying active, amazing!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/442811...ews/?gt1=43001

I will think of the 81-year-old completing the iron man competition when I go for my run today. I can't imagine it.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrushfan View Post
                            Talk about motivation. Perhaps many of you caught this article already. Some great people doing great things and staying active, amazing!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/442811...ews/?gt1=43001

I will think of the 81-year-old completing the iron man competition when I go for my run today. I can't imagine it.

John
                            I really enjoyed that article John. Thanks for posting it. Just goes to show that getting older can mean getting better! I saw this man on the news tonight and talk about another inspiration:

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/2...race-aged-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                              I really enjoyed that article John. Thanks for posting it. Just goes to show that getting older can mean getting better! I saw this man on the news tonight and talk about another inspiration:

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/2...race-aged-101/
                              John and Stella,

Yeah,

OLD GUYS RULE!

Comment

Working...
                              X