ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM
MS Whisperer

Default Vaccines before treatment?

AM, great idea about updating vaccines before starting treatment. What vaccines did you update? Tetanus seems like a good one. I had last round of vaccines when I entered grad school, awhile ago . I know there is concern about adults immunity to measles wearing off. I think I can get internist to ck titers of antibodies of different illnesses. But I'd love to hear what your doctors recommended for you.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Veteran Misfit

Default It is called the MS Hug,

Even when you know you get it you are worrying it might be a heart attack.

I am lucky because they hang around for a few weeks, take a break and then return in another period of several weeks. I use 5 mg Valium and it stops it. Valium is a muscle relaxer..
Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 AM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee View Post
AM, great idea about updating vaccines before starting treatment. What vaccines did you update? Tetanus seems like a good one. I had last round of vaccines when I entered grad school, awhile ago . I know there is concern about adults immunity to measles wearing off. I think I can get internist to ck titers of antibodies of different illnesses. But I'd love to hear what your doctors recommended for you.
Hey Suebee, my neurologist and PCP recommended flu, pneumonia, tetanus, hep A, hep B, shingles, typhoid and yellow fever vaccines prior to my first rituxan infusion. The typhoid and yellow fever vaccines were recommended because I was considering a trip to Africa. At the time I was current on shingles, tetanus and yellow fever and I did not experience any problems with the others. The yellow fever vaccine is not widely recommended for PwMS, it is the only one that uses an attenuated live virus. Some of these vaccinations involve a series of shots so can take time to complete.

Good luck,

Larry
Old 11-09-2019, 05:36 PM
MS Yoda

A couple of key take aways from the recent Rocky Mountain Multiple Sclerosis Center education summit on MS.

1) Truxima, the new Rituxan biosimilar is essentially Rituxan.

2) Except in rare cases, the RMMSC has NOT seen a reduction in efficacy with long term use of either Rituxan or Ocrevus.

3) Suebee, being proactive about getting vaccinations prior to any B-cell disease modifying treatment is important as vaccinating post B-cell therapy can significantly reduce the effectiveness of the vaccinations. Also they do not recommend any live virus vaccinations for persons currently on any B-cell immunotherapy.

4) the RMMSC is leaning toward the Mediterranean diet as being the most beneficial for brain health in PwMS, based on benefits seen in the general population.

5) The RMMSC believes that early treatment with one of the B-cell biologic DMT's could result in a significant reduction in the progression of PwMS to Secondary Progressive MS.

6) Exercise is not only critical for PwMS but is the ONLY anti-aging therapy available today, based on studies in the general population.

These guys always do a great job of clarifying what is currently known about MS and bringing relevant new information to PwMS. You can sign up for their news letter by Google-ing the Rocky Mountain MS Center. Also the recent Education Summit should eventually be available on their website site.

Larry

Ps: And just one more thing, the RMMSC is just about 100% in agreement with anything you might see on the ActiveMSers Web site! It took them a while to catch up to us but one of the foremost MS clinics in the world is finally here!

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 11-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.